HELP,PLEASE!

kukana d

Ok,so tomorrow I will:

1. Put the fish in the tub-should I treat them w/ anything other than .3% salt while they're there? A salt dip?

2. Empty the pond of everything,fill w/ water,add PP,and let run w/ filter in tact and running for 4 hrs.

3. Restart,and back .3%,and add fish.

4.What % salt shall I dip them in?Did you say 3%?

- I already have Metro in the water-it has been there since Sunday-and it's not a good idea to stop it now,is it? Shall I hold off on the acriflavine or stop the water metro?

- I gave them some MM pellets tonight too(not the dropsied fish),I hope that was ok-I'm just trying to see what they are more apt to eat-BUT there is NO way they are going to eat 1% of their weight!

(I'm just trying to get everything here before me in this post,so I can get up and going in the a.m.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i would leave the metro in the water.. continue the MM's and increase salt to 0.3% as well as increase heat to 80F.. the heat during medicating is essential. i personally have treated parasitic infested fish with metro and salt in the water combined and got really good results.

Lionchu, the active ingredients in Metro-Meds are metronidazole, Romet B (sulfadimethoxine + ormetoprim), and oxytetracycline. I hope that helps in your determination of whether the MMs should be given exclusively, along with the Metronidazole-based gel food, or just gel food.

Good luck, Susan! I know the next few weeks are going to be rough, but you can and the fish can make it!

Thanks,Alex :) I'm sure I'll be asking you some math ?s along the way! ;)

MetroMed's active ingredient is Metronidazole.

MetroMeds = Metronidazole

JungleAP= Metronidazole + Prazi

Available in Australia is Metronidazole.. aka Flagyl.. our No1 treatment for Bacteria/infection/parasitic infestation in humans as well as animals. available by prescription only via GP and Vets..

i get my hands on it whenever i need to. if you would like a sample Jeff, just ask, i will be happy to supply.

it is available in tablet form to humans and pets. i believe Migaloo obtained it from the vet for her Oranda in liquid form..

Lionchu, the active ingredients in Metro-Meds are metronidazole, Romet B (sulfadimethoxine + ormetoprim), and oxytetracycline. I hope that helps in your determination of whether the MMs should be given exclusively, along with the Metronidazole-based gel food, or just gel food.

Good luck, Susan! I know the next few weeks are going to be rough, but you can and the fish can make it!

I 've been using Metronidazole for many years now. I've both the 200mg and 400mg tabs form. Yes, MMs is good if fish can eat normally. I've no problems treating dropsy too, which is very common in Australia. Thanks for you advice anyway. Susan is very stressed now with so many problems, can't blame her for being lost.

Thanks Alex. When you guys said Metro, you meant Metronidazole..right?

Ok,so tomorrow I will:

1. Put the fish in the tub-should I treat them w/ anything other than .3% salt while they're there? A salt dip?

Yes, salt dip @3%

2. Empty the pond of everything,fill w/ water,add PP,and let run w/ filter in tact and running for 4 hrs.

Yes, add more PP solution to main purple water if necessary. Make stock solution of 5g (1tsp) to 100ml of water, then dose 5ml of concentrated PP solution to 10L of pond water.

3. Restart,and back .3%,and add fish.

Yes

4.What % salt shall I dip them in?Did you say 3%?

3% for 5mins max...aim for at least 1 mins min.

- I already have Metro in the water-it has been there since Sunday-and it's not a good idea to stop it now,is it? Shall I hold off on the acriflavine or stop the water metro?

- I gave them some MM pellets tonight too(not the dropsied fish),I hope that was ok-I'm just trying to see what they are more apt to eat-BUT there is NO way they are going to eat 1% of their weight!

(I'm just trying to get everything here before me in this post,so I can get up and going in the a.m.

Con't with Metro in water. not 100% sure whether Acriflavine is compatiple with Metro??? perhaps Alex can help? Yes, feed them MMs if they can eat normally @1% of body weight, just estimate will do..a bit more food is always better.

i would leave the metro in the water.. continue the MM's and increase salt to 0.3% as well as increase heat to 80F.. the heat during medicating is essential. i personally have treated parasitic infested fish with metro and salt in the water combined and got really good results.

I only put Metro in water if fish doesn't eat anymore otherwise I always feed with gel food. Agreed it's the only reliable treatment that I know of.

Acriflavine is not incompatible with metronidazole. The only two issues with its use in a prolonged setting are that at least in the US, there is considerable resistance and/or adaptation by a lot of bacteria. On the other hand, it may knock down the biological filter. So, between those two possibilities, I do not know whether it will be beneficial to use. Ideally, the Metro-Meds medicated pellets should provide broad coverage against bacteria, but the problem is whether the fish will be eating or not.

until 1 week from today

I only put Metro in water if fish doesn't eat anymore otherwise I always feed with gel food. Agreed it's the only reliable treatment that I know of.

No,they were not eating-too sick :ill But now that they are eating,I think I still need to finish the course- a week from yesterday.

-There is no way they will eat that much MM. Does anyone know of a reason that I cannot feed them both the MM AND the metro gel food? I have no prob feeding MM-I just can't get enough in them.

-Just out of curiosity Lionchu,is there any reason I can't make it stronger than that w/ no fish in there? Is it harmful in some way?

Acriflavine is not incompatible with metronidazole. The only two issues with its use in a prolonged setting are that at least in the US, there is considerable resistance and/or adaptation by a lot of bacteria. On the other hand, it may knock down the biological filter. So, between those two possibilities, I do not know whether it will be beneficial to use. Ideally, the Metro-Meds medicated pellets should provide broad coverage against bacteria, but the problem is whether the fish will be eating or not.

Just my suspicion, never want to put two different things in there at the same time. I use Acriflavine a lot for external problems like cloudy eyes, fungus, small pimples, repair damage fins, strenghten slime coat etc... My mixture I got from a vet is really great. I don't remember all it's compound but I know Acriflavine is the main ingredient.

until 1 week from today

No,they were not eating-too sick :ill But now that they are eating,I think I still need to finish the course- a week from yesterday.

-There is no way they will eat that much MM. Does anyone know of a reason that I cannot feed them both the MM AND the metro gel food? I have no prob feeding MM-I just can't get enough in them.

-Just out of curiosity Lionchu,is there any reason I can't make it stronger than that w/ no fish in there? Is it harmful in some way?

until 1 week from today

Susan just con't with what you are doing and not to bother about our side discussions, you've got your hands full for now. You can make it (PP) stronger if you like, just maintain the water purple.

1 other ?-if PP is still purple(my mixture from a while ago)I'ts still good,right? If it were 'deactivated' from light(I keep it in a jug behind my bathroom sink-not a lot of light),it would not look the same,will it? If there is any doubt-I can mix more......

• Supporter

susan, will the dropsied fish eat the MM's if it's presoaked? perhaps it needs to be softened for them? they do need their own qt with 80F epsom and MM's. even if it's less than 20 gallons or definitely over 10g as you will need to wc them daily. is this possible? can you provide a few more overhead pics of both the dropsied fish so we can see where they are at with their infection?

1 other ?-if PP is still purple(my mixture from a while ago)I'ts still good,right? If it were 'deactivated' from light(I keep it in a jug behind my bathroom sink-not a lot of light),it would not look the same,will it? If there is any doubt-I can mix more......

Yes, My stock solution mixed with distilled water stored in a dark bottle is a year old now and is still effective and look exactly the same as the day I made it.

• Supporter

it has worked for my fish in the past where 1% of their bodyweight of medicated gelfood or medicated food is unable to be consumed, that i crush 400mg of metronidazole as fine as possible and add it to the water.. stir the surface a few times and it sinks to the bottom. whilst the fish do their usual forage, they consume the metro into their bodies. with the temp at 80F it stands a very good chance of the medicine to be digested and work just as good. fish are like kids, in certain ways, in certain situations, they can be tricked into eating what's good for them when they don't want it.

susan can give this a go if she's happy to do so.. here is a video of me crushing a tablet. now i know she already has it available in sugar granule size, but it will need to be finer than that as the medicine does not dissolve, so even in sugar granule size, the Metronidazole will still need to be crushed.

I can't really offer any treatment advice, but I've got my fingers crossed for you and your puppies!

Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed with a situation (be it work, family, major car repair... etc), I start by taking a minute to work out the panic in my head, place that negativity aside and then find a place to dig in. Then I start, one sub-task at a time. Complete sub-task, then on to the next. If it's a situation where I can put on some music, tv, or favorite movie while I'm working, it helps keep my frontal lobe occupied (and not get back into a panic type mode). I also allow myself to take breaks when I get tired and/or frustrated... that's when mistakes get made and important items/clues missed. I also keep in mind that slow progress is still progress and I have to be patient with myself and the situation... panic can make you rush and that's likely as bad or worse than being tired/frustrated.

That's a round about way of saying stay calm and on task and you (and your puppies) will come out on the other side!!

100ml is like a glass of water. You can't really compare it to a gallon

I think she is trying to ask how much of the substance to add to 1 gallon, if you are supposed to add 5g/100ml. Is this PP stock solution you are trying to make up, Susan?

Well 250mL is one cup. There is 16 cups in a gallon. so at would be 12.5g per 250mL. Now times that by 16 and you get 200g. So 200g per gallon. Which would be 2 cups + 2tsp. I think my math is correct. I would suggest waiting until someone can confirm this for me

My math is for the stock solution making it into one gallon instead of 100mL, just to clarify haha

Well 250mL is one cup. There is 16 cups in a gallon. so at would be 12.5g per 250mL. Now times that by 16 and you get 200g. So 200g per gallon. Which would be 2 cups + 2tsp. I think my math is correct. I would suggest waiting until someone can confirm this for me

My math is for the stock solution making it into one gallon instead of 100mL, just to clarify haha

Pretty close. Good job. It's actually 189.25g :)