HELP,PLEASE!

kukana d

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,Fede! I should put them into a different tank as they come out,right? What should I do about the pond? Do you think just the .3% would be enough for them? I need to go examine the fish out there. The other thing about the pond is that the manufacturer says it's 195g,BUT when measured it comes out to 300+ gallons! the MM will be here by 1030am tomorrow. Fede,what a/b would you use? I've heard from someone else who said his fish from this source arrived w/ ich and costia! There is SOOOOO much info-what could be going on,but I can start w/ the dips and go from there. Is it ok to dip multiple fish into the same batch of the salt dip?

I only use MetroMeds now mostly. I think they would be perfect for this.

The salt dips will help. It would be beneficial to do something like this: take fish - place in dip - put into a holding tub with perfectly clean 0.3% salted water (all the treated fish) - clean out their main tank - place fish back in clean tank filled with 0.3% salt.

Again, not sure how possible this is with your water set up etc.

Questiion: do I have to disinfect the tank? PP? Do I have to disinfect the filter also?

OMG,a friend asked just last week about the fish,and I told her stable!!! Things were SOOOOOOOO stable! and now......... :krazy: :krazy: :krazy:

I think that the Prime should be sufficient. I've read that sometimes you can get a false reading when you use Prime so if you use it and still get a 0.25 you'd actually have 0.

Let's wait for Mr. Smartypants to come back, he would know for sure but I still think you'd be safe :)

Sent from my Captivate using Tapatalk

• Admin

Can I use salt w/ .25 ammonia present? Will Prime make the necessary adjustment so it wont be harmful?

e t

Yes you can hun as long as you put that Prime in there. :thumb:

I have .25 ammonia in my tap water all the time, and have placed salt in my main tank plenty of times now... The only thing to worry about is the ph level, but if you double does with the prime while your ph is 8.0 it should be good :thumb:

Another ?-is metro only for secondary infection-ie,should I feed it to the fish that are not showing symptoms? I just found I have a large jar jungle anti-parasitic food-but I've had it for 2-3 years and don't know if it's any good?

Susan, let's just stick with the plan. I don't know if the Jungle is still good after all that time, but let's just go with what we have established. The MMs are coming tomorrow after all.

To answer your question, the metro is not just for secondary infections. It will work with the dropsy, as well as the costia. It will prevent some secondary infections, or treat them.

No, no. My recollection was that everyone gets salt, and only the 3 with the symptoms that you showed us get the metro, and then MMs tomorrow. Are there others who are dropsying or have symptoms?

Another ?: I just realized that I once grabbed the Veil's net to get something out of the qt last week-should I feed metro and salt there too?Or is it ok to wait and see? Thanks,guys.

No, no. My recollection was that everyone gets salt, and only the 3 with the symptoms that you showed us get the metro, and then MMs tomorrow. Are there others who are dropsying or have symptoms?

I didn't see this- no,none other showing symptoms.............so just S/H till the MM arrives............

I thought that Helen's suggestion was to salt and heat every place that the ich-y fish have been to. As for the metro & eventual MMs, it's for the three fish you showed us last night. She did ask if there were others who were ill, and I don't think you had answered yes to that.

No others are showing-and the infected fish have not been in the Veil tank-I have separate equipment for them,but I did grab their net and stuck it in the sick tank once. It did not touch any veils after that,I just put it under the out-put when I started the sump up again. Do you know if PP is effective against ich and costia?

• Supporter

susan,

in my honest opinion, if you salt dip the weaker more affected fish, you're going to lose them. although salt dipping is great, it's not treating the secondary infection which is weakening the fish, i don't read here the normal talk for what to expect when you salt dip a fish. i have mentioned to members before, that when they advise on salt dipping, they are to make the OP understand that the fish stays in that dip as fede will say "until it faints" to an already stressed/weakend fish, this may be enough to send it to fishy heaven.

although sald dipping is mild compared to other medicines, it has a different effect on seriously ill fish already struggling.

sald dipping is not my recommendation. treating the secondary infection as quickly as possible to regain the strength of the fish is, as well as treating what's on the outside with the 0.3% salt in the water.

in my opinion, this is the best option for the fish in this state, this is what i would do if i found and was able to treat fish in this state. there is no quick fix, it's going to be a slow process, dedicated process and hopefully, a positive process.

good luck, i hope whatever you decide to do works well for them.

PP? for the love of gawd.. good luck susan.

No offense, Susan. I am really confused. Why are you exploring PP now? Even at the best of times, it should be done by someone who is not in a panicky mode, and if there is a question about salt being too harsh, there is no considering PP.

I just want to sterilize the empty tank w/ PP..............

Oh, OK. That will work. Just go with anywhere between 8-20ppm until it turns brown. Neutralize it with HP until it turns clear. Drain, and repeat.