Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

HELP,PLEASE!

Susan, why don't you & Helen decide on what you want in the gel, and I'll be happy to help with amounts.

alex at this stage... just metronidazole.. we need to get ontop of the secondary infections in ALL the affected fish

Helen,did you see the med list?

susan, hun, i mean no disrespect.. but all this meds talk is doing my head in.. let's start fresh eh?

guys... the fish definitely have ICH... so advanced we're seeing secondary infections. secondary infections kill FASTER than the primary problem. by getting a secondary infection it means problem 1 has run it's course and problem 2 is well on it's way of doing it's job = death.

so.. here is what i personally would do.

1. don't waste time!.. mjbubbles is kind enough to offer you FREE meds. take the offer. PM her your postal address now.

2. make gel food with ONLY metronidazole at the dosage that Alex advises and make the food ASAP.. begin to feed immediately at 1% of the affected fish's bodyweight

3. fresh water immediately. salt to 0.3% increase heat to 80F.. daily water changes of 70% are ESSENTIAL and try to keep PH above 8. ICH LOATHE a high PH

metromeds will arrive hopefully overnight or the following day. the moment the metromeds arrive, stop the metrogelfood and feed the prepared METROMEDS.

this would be my plan. that's all i have to offer.

Sounds like a good plan.

This is what I need from you now, Susan. Can you weigh out the gel food you have to tell me exactly how much you have.

What metro powder are you using? Is there any filler in the powder?

Once I have this info, I can give you how much to add and how much to feed.

Do you know the weights of the fish?

Susan, why don't you & Helen decide on what you want in the gel, and I'll be happy to help with amounts.

alex at this stage... just metronidazole.. we need to get ontop of the secondary infections in ALL the affected fish

Helen,did you see the med list?

susan, hun, i mean no disrespect.. but all this meds talk is doing my head in.. let's start fresh eh?

guys... the fish definitely have ICH... so advanced we're seeing secondary infections. secondary infections kill FASTER than the primary problem. by getting a secondary infection it means problem 1 has run it's course and problem 2 is well on it's way of doing it's job = death.

so.. here is what i personally would do.

1. don't waste time!.. mjbubbles is kind enough to offer you FREE meds. take the offer. PM her your postal address now.

2. make gel food with ONLY metronidazole at the dosage that Alex advises and make the food ASAP.. begin to feed immediately at 1% of the affected fish's bodyweight

3. fresh water immediately. salt to 0.3% increase heat to 80F.. daily water changes of 70% are ESSENTIAL and try to keep PH above 8. ICH LOATHE a high PH

metromeds will arrive hopefully overnight or the following day. the moment the metromeds arrive, stop the metrogelfood and feed the prepared METROMEDS.

this would be my plan. that's all i have to offer.

Ok,I just added .01 salt-should I add the rest now since it's this advanced? Also:

1)is it ok to put blue back in the big tank and treat? My trtmnt qt is only 14g,but I have a 23 g.It just seems easier in the tank-but if it's all corroded I wont.

2) since I have oxy-tet and it's in the mm,shouldn't I add that too,maybe? or,am I getting too complicated,and just need to KEEP IT SIMPLE FOR NOW(commenting on my own insanity!! I will try to get/keep ph @ 8-is that good?

Sounds like a good plan.

This is what I need from you now, Susan. Can you weigh out the gel food you have to tell me exactly how much you have.

What metro powder are you using? Is there any filler in the powder?

Once I have this info, I can give you how much to add and how much to feed.

Do you know the weights of the fish?

1) the food weighs exactly 109g-I can add to or lessen,if need be.

2)I have the metro powder on this page: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products3.html

3) do not know weights,but can weigh if necessary-esp if I move blue back to the tank. Let me know.

2)I have the metro powder on this page: http://www.fishyfarm.../products3.html

3) do not know weights,but can weigh if necessary-esp if I move blue back to the tank. Let me know.

i don't see an ingredients list available on that website for this product. is there an ingredients list on the bottle? can you post it here?

i don't see an ingredients list available on that website for this product. is there an ingredients list on the bottle? can you post it here?

Unfortunately,it does not have an ingredient list-just the proportions for water 1/4 tsp/20g,and food 2 tsp/lb (I never know if this is weight or volume!)

OK, for that amount of food you want to weigh out 1.1 g of Metronidazole, dissolve in a tiny bit of water, and mix well into the gel food mix. Now, the really important part is that each fish will need to eat at least 1% of its body weight in the amount of medicated gel food in order to ensure effectiveness. I think the fish will need to be weighed out, Susan.

Did the ich just appear overnight?

OK, for that amount of food you want to weigh out 1.1 g of Metronidazole, dissolve in a tiny bit of water, and mix well into the gel food mix. Now, the really important part is that each fish will need to eat at least 1% of its body weight in the amount of medicated gel food in order to ensure effectiveness. I think the fish will need to be weighed out, Susan.

Did the ich just appear overnight?

Ok,I'll weigh them,but then I'll need you to tell me the amount. Will I need to feed them separately then? Diff qt tubs or in a basket,maybe. I don't have enough filters for sep. tubs. Where it REALLY gets interesting,is I put 2 of those fish in the pond too!!!! I suppose I should add salt there too?

The lionhead and kirin ranchu did 'loose color,get blotchy,white' over night-after I added the new fish. The poor blue had nothing UNTIL I kept him stationary in a baket b/c he was nibbling @ the 2 weaker ones. I feel SOOOOOOO stupid-"Oh ro and buffers......................" I have been going on that premise and running my self ragged for 4 days-18 hrs/day!!

hun. anywhere these fish have been, the routine must follow. you're going to have a difficult week or two ahead of you.

hun. anywhere these fish have been, the routine must follow. you're going to have a difficult week or two ahead of you.

Also, are you using the same equipment (python) to change all your tanks?

THANK GOD,I use a diff python on the 170g veil tank! I have the med weighed out. Can I weigh them in oz? My scale doesn't have any parts of grams-just whole grams.

Please don't tell me you mean pond w/cs too!!! There are not enough hrs in the day-literally-to do 70% out there and these others. Can I just treat the pond w/ salt and food?

My scale doesn't have any parts of grams-just whole grams.

That could be a problem, then, since in ounces, you need to weigh out 0.04 ounces. I don't know that your scale will measure that low amount :(

i would be.. if i by accident put ich infested fish in there. that is something i wouldn't even think twice about doing. it depends how quickly you want the problem to go away. how big is the pond? can it be heated? you will need to bring that to 0.3% salt too..

python's step the pace up quite a bit.. both my tanks bringing 500 gallons are wc'd in 1.5 hours with python.

No,no-I've measured out the med for food-I do have a scale for that,but I think it'ss too small to put the fish on.Can I just weigh the fish in oz? Also,should this metro dissolve completely in water? Will it just take a while?Or maybe I need to add more water to it?

correction. both my tanks add upto 250 gallons.. (stoopid metric system/conversion) gah.

Is the metro not dissolving?

You can weigh the fish out in ounces. I will convert it to grams.

i would be.. if i by accident put ich infested fish in there. that is something i wouldn't even think twice about doing. it depends how quickly you want the problem to go away. how big is the pond? can it be heated? you will need to bring that to 0.3% salt too..

python's step the pace up quite a bit.. both my tanks bringing 500 gallons are wc'd in 1.5 hours with python.

Yes,pythons are great! it's the r/o water-2/3(maybe more)goes down the drain as waste water.it takes about 7 hrs to change 50% in my 170g! The pond is 300g!!! That's what I mean by there literally are not enough hrs. in the day!!!

i am wondering if you can merge your fish susan.. seeing as all the affected ones need to be treated the same and you will be doing daily waterchanges. this way, you can sterilize the pond, allow it to dry out and then resterilize. at least then the water changes and medicating will be to a minimum.

is this possible?

Is the metro not dissolving?

You can weigh the fish out in ounces. I will convert it to grams.

It's still a fine sand,but they particles are smaller than when I started. Maybe I just need to be patient? Ok,I'll weigh them. Is it ok to put them all back in the tank-it has a filter,and I don't have enough small filters for 3 seperate tubs. Should I call GFC and have them oner-night the MM?

so.. exactly how many fish need to be treated at this point of time?

i am wondering if you can merge your fish susan.. seeing as all the affected ones need to be treated the same and you will be doing daily waterchanges. this way, you can sterilize the pond, allow it to dry out and then resterilize. at least then the water changes and medicating will be to a minimum.

is this possible?

Helen,the only place I have big enough for that IS the pond-I have 15-20 fish out there alone,then add these 3...........And I would be afraid to put these guys out there...........

well then hun.. this is very difficult. i don't know what the answer is, but i know you need to treat all affected fish and any that currently do not show symptoms that have been exposed, because for them.. it's just a matter of time..

so have a think about it.. make us some suggestions (where it concerns space for treating) that you know will work and we will help you along with the process.

again, how many fish are affected that need to be treated?

I agree with Helen that with ich, any tank/pond/space that the fish have visited are at risk for infection, unfortunately.

Ok,but does it have to be 70% w/c daily for all? I also have the Parinox on this page-I wonder if I can use that in the pond? Any thoughts? I can call them tomorrow to get more info on the product: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products4.html

I just put the blue back in the 46g w/ the other 2,and they are at .1% salt. Should I raise it to .3 over the usual 24 hr. period?

Alex,they weigh 4.9 oz,5.35 oz,3.7 oz. Also,the metro is still 'sandy',is that ok,or do I need to wait for it to totally dissolve ?

Try to mix it a little more. Helen, how long does it take to dissolve metro? J don't recall it taking me so long before.

Susan, I'll give you the amounts for feeding in a few minutes.