Sign in to follow this  
justnoskill

tropicals for a 10g?

I've been really thinking about starting up a little tropical tank. It would be a 10g, so before I even get too attached to the idea, is a 10g even big enough for tropicals? I was thinking about getting just like 3 mollies or platys, or a couple male guppies if they won't fight. I have a heater and filters and everything, but to be honest I don't know much about tropicals and figured I'd get more genuine advice and info here than on random web pages ^_^ thank you in advance!

oh and if anyone has suggestions for types of fish- I'm looking for either orange or yellow fish. I was thinking about sunset mollies or something along those lines.

I suggest platies. I have many and they are like little goldfish!

I say male platies, especially if you want orange-y colors. Just stick only with the males, for two reasons:

no babies

males are smaller and need less room (2 inches max)

They are very hardy and undemanding, are rather unspecific with pH and temperature, as long as it's stable (but of course warmer water than goldfish). Have some plants and hiding places in the tank. These guys are busy little explorers and enjoy checking out caves, sideways flower ports, floating plants etc.

Plus they come in many different colors, sunset, sunset wag, red wag, marigold, tuxedo,... and if you are very lucky, you can even find a calico platy.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I had 4-5 male guppies in a 10 gal for awhile and they never fought. They do like to play tag more or less-it's cute and harmless! And they also come in many different colors. I love platies, too though--they beg for food kinda like goldies and the color variations are great. Mollies are pretty but some of them are more aggressive than the platies and guppies.

if i had a small 10g i would probably go with NO MORE than 8 MALE fancy guppies in all different colors! they are fun to watch, bright, and very nice looking! and you dont have to worry about babies! EVERYONE LOVES GUPPIES! :) or 8 male platys! :D same! COLORFUL FISH! fun to watch and both species are very hardy! :) of course... if you want to add some females.. it is best to keep in smaller numbers due to lack of space if they have babies... :) i had started with 8 guppy males and females.. and ended up with around 20 in a matter of weeks.. LOL anyways they were given away.. but they do like the "lovin'"..... :lol

forgot to mention... that although you MAY not experience problems with all males... it is a possiblility.. and usually recommend a ratio of 1 : 2 males for females.. but in my experience.. if males are kept in larger groups.. things should be fine!:D ... again.. its for you to try and see what happens... GOOD LUCK! :D

I say get some female bettas and a group of small cories, either pygmies or pandas, or maybe some otos. Full of character and very pretty! :D

My vote is for a little dwarf puffer and 6-8 shrimp :)

oh my!! now I'm really not sure what to put in there. I didn't realize a 10g had so many options! Though I'm not sure this will happen now....the bf wasn't too keen on more tanks in our room. I may just go ahead anyways, it's not like he cleans them lol :rolleyes:

hey rev... i can suggest 2 things that have helped out me and some friends in the past... adding regular doses of EXCEL WILL help get rid of BBA FOR SURE!! i have done it and have succeeded with EXCEL ... remove plants that may be covered in bba and place in a separate bucket... add EXCEL to the bucket and cover it for a full day... next day you should see most of the algae dying.. turning white or even completely disappear... then you can add it back to the tank... another thing that has really helped keep bba to a minimal is these little guys called SIAMESE ALGAE EATERS.. that actually eat this kind of algae.. do some research on there tank temp. and size and what not before you opt to go this route.. very important!!! MANY times i see that the cause of BBA is actually LACK of co2... adding a pressurized system or RELIGIOUSLY dosing EXCEL WILL help.. but i cannot guarantee that some plants will not die off due to the EXCEL... which some plants absolutely HATE!... anyways... im sure others will weigh in.. and before you get sent into 100 different ways with he said, she said.. the best thing to do is take everyones advice as JUST that.. advice.. and best thing to do is try out a fewthings and see what works for you.. i only SPEAK through experience. the EXCEL and SAE worked on all my planted tanks! :D GOOD LUCK!

NOTE: after separating affected PLANTS, DRIFTWOOD and treating with EXCEL.. it is ok to OVERDOSE this is why i said remove and place in a separate container. another thing to do is to pluck of any severely BBA infested leaves then DOSE. hope this works! :)

SORRY... wrong POST! :oops:

About the males and fighting, I don't see much aggression among my male platies. I have seven, and only the two oldest, that are significantly larger than the rest, are bullies from time to time. This has more to do with being the boss though. There is no stress or aggression due to fighting over ladies.

I disagree with having several female bettas and cories or otos in a 10g. A 10 gallon tank holds maybe 9 gallons of water. Female bettas need to be kept at least in a group of four to spread out the aggression. Each female betta grows to about 2", that's 8 gallons alone for the bettas. I also doubt a 10 gallon is enough room to avoid each other, unless there is a lot of foliage and "caves" to hide. The fish would still at all times be only a few inches away from each other.

Additionally, even the smaller growing cories also grow to about 2 inches each, and as schoaling fish you again are gonna need at least four of them. That would be 16 gallons worth of fish.

Otos would only need about 1 gallon each, but again, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10g sorority tank. All it needs is one of the four females to be more aggressive than the average, and hell breaks lose.

The only way IMO would be two females with a divider.

I know I am biased, but I still vote for platies. These guys are so awesome. Like ashlee said up there, they are like miniature goldfish. There's a reason my sunburst platy is named Goldie :rofl And they are my only small tropicals (aside from my betta and the single dwarf gourami) that actually all have names.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

One of my favorite tank combos of fish were when we had female bettas and male guppys together in a tank, all the different colors were so pretty~~~ and due to the tank being well planted~~~no aggression either, only to establish "pecking order" from the females. But nice to look at and watch that tank.