Time to Euthanize Platy?

I have 3 adult Platies in a 14g for about 6 months now, they have all been healthy. Except now for one of the females.

My white mickey mouse Platy female is acting weird. For about 2 weeks she has been steadly losing weight, only eating flakes (avoiding treats) when they sink to the bottom, though these past couple days she has not been eating at all. She spends all her days wedged in a plant opening and closing her mouth. Her fins are always clamped and she does not respond to me, she barely even moves when I poke her.

And today I noticed her back is turning red, almost looks like blood but it is not coming off of her.

I feel really bad for her. I have not thought about euthanizing her because I was hoping she would get better. Now I am not so sure she will.

Is it time to euthanize? I can try to get a picture of her if it would help.

Edited by Aluyasha

Usually I'd be inclined to try to treat her, but she seems like she is more on her way out. I had a male platy act similar to this, although I wonder if it was an age issue in his case. He was a rescue and I have no clue how long the previous owner had him.

I tried salt bathes in 0.15%, treated for flukes, but everything made him perk up only for a couple days. After several weeks I gave up. He was quite unresponsive by that time, and I euthanized him with clove oil.

But have you ever treated her with salt?

I have been thinking this was an age issue. I hear Platies do not have that great of life spans and I have owned her for about 6 months and I got her when she was an adult, and it takes about 6 months for a platy to reach adulthood. Meaning she is at least a year old.

Well, platies live on the average to be 3 - 5 years old. So your fish is still a bit young. That doesn't mean she isn't old, considered you already got her as adult, there is no way telling how old she already is.

How big is she? These guys continue to grow. My oldest one, no idea how old he is but I got him since October 2010 I think? He is one big, bulky guy. Fat and round, if it wasn't for his many anal fin you could think he is a female.

No, I have euthanized fish before but I used the frozen water method. Putting water in the freezer and once it turns slushy put the fish in and the shock kills them.

I do not even know where to buy clove oil.

There, she is now at peace. She went quickly, she did not even put up a fight when I took her out of the tank.

I am just glad I do not have to watch her suffer anymore.

Many health stores carry clove oil. I got mine at GNC. It is much gentler than the ice. I think I read somewhere on here that most fish don't die from shock. They do go into shock and then die slowly by the water in their body crystallizing, and supposedly it is painful.

But I might be remembering this wrong.

I prefer the clove oil, because it literally puts the fish to sleep, like you do it with larger animals at the vet :)