My planted 5.5 gallon!

Akari_32

Rearranged the 5.5 gallon and finally added the background last night. I have a single 13 watt CFL, and the tank is dosed with Flourish Root Tabs, and just under 1/4 teaspoon of Flourish Comp.

Stock:

~Fish~

-1 male betta

-3 ADF (1m 2f)

-3 RCS

-394723095682049 MTS

~Plants~

-Java Moss (in that upside down black basket)

-Java Fern

-2 Argentine Swords

-3 Stems of Wisteria

-2 Stems of Pennywort (one floating)

-Guppy Grass

-1 Lily Bulb (has probably 6 plants on it)

-Aponogenton

-Dwarf Sag

-Crypt Wendtii Green

-Banana Plant

-Watert Onion

-Dwarf Hairgrass

Left:

IMG_1508.jpg

Middle:

IMG_1510.jpg

Right:

IMG_1509.jpg

FTS:

IMG_1507.jpg

pretty cool i have tried a small planted tank but kinda lost interest in it lol. I do find other peoples fasinating though. I think it is too cool when you can make a little tank look as cool and scaped as a huge one. I want a pico so bad i have several 3 gallons laying around here I keep tripping on :)

pretty cool i have tried a small planted tank but kinda lost interest in it lol. I do find other peoples fasinating though. I think it is too cool when you can make a little tank look as cool and scaped as a huge one. I want a pico so bad i have several 3 gallons laying around here I keep tripping on :)

Thank you! The small size if definitely a challenge, but it saves me lots of money LOL I have over $200 invested in my planted 10 gallon :yikes I haven't added up how much I'm in the hole with this one LOL

that's a 5.5 gallon!? it looks so much bigger! it looks so good too, I wish my 10 gal looked that good haha. need to find me a small piece of bogwood, I'm leaning more and more towards them...

I have had a few planted 10's and i did do a 3 for a couple of weeks but my homemade canister filter did not work as well as i had hoped. The aqualifter kept getting plugged up. I wanted to make a filter that took up as little room as possible it just did not work as planned. The only other options i had were a hang on or a sponge and neither could be hid well so i gave up.

that's a 5.5 gallon!? it looks so much bigger! it looks so good too, I wish my 10 gal looked that good haha. need to find me a small piece of bogwood, I'm leaning more and more towards them...

Lol Yep! Its only a 5.5. I think it looks big too. I think its because the black trim is less than an inch thick, where its usually an inch or more. Very smart way to make a small tank look bigger!

I don't know what stores you guys have over there, but don't forget to look in the reptile sections of pet stores, and in craft stores! You never know what goodies you'll find =D

I think the hardest part would be keeping it trimmed and the plants small enough to stay in it. With the 10's i have done that was not easy i could only imagine a 5 gal. I would think a reef would actually be easier since stuff grows much slower.

I think the hardest part would be keeping it trimmed and the plants small enough to stay in it. With the 10's i have done that was not easy i could only imagine a 5 gal. I would think a reef would actually be easier since stuff grows much slower.

Since all these plants are young, the only ones I have a problem with right now are the Onion, which I just trimmed last night, from this:

IMG_1491.jpg

And the Guppy Grass, which for some reason I did not get a pic of before I uprooted it all, trimmed it all down and replanted.

The Aponogenton in the back left corner will need a trimmin' soon. The Wisteria is getting near out competed for food, but is still growing, and the Banana plant, Crypts, Java fern, Dwarf Sag, and Argentite Swords are all slow growing. The Lily will shoot up one leaf at a time, so all I have to do is snip it off when needed.

Lol Yep! Its only a 5.5. I think it looks big too. I think its because the black trim is less than an inch thick, where its usually an inch or more. Very smart way to make a small tank look bigger!

I don't know what stores you guys have over there, but don't forget to look in the reptile sections of pet stores, and in craft stores! You never know what goodies you'll find =D

can you put reptile items in aquariums?? I mean I know they'd be pet-safe, but I don't know if they're aquatic-safe, if that makes sense haha. but thanks for the tip, I've seen some awesome little cave things that I would've liked for my betta but thought, "oh they're for lizards, nevermind".

can you put reptile items in aquariums?? I mean I know they'd be pet-safe, but I don't know if they're aquatic-safe, if that makes sense haha. but thanks for the tip, I've seen some awesome little cave things that I would've liked for my betta but thought, "oh they're for lizards, nevermind".

Wood and resin are fish and reptile safe, yes lol Nothing wrong with using driftwood from the reptile section. Just be sure theres no screws or glue!

thats a very nice setup :) may i ask what the upside down black planter basket is for??

Thank you! The basket thingy has Java Moss in it, to keep it out of my filter lol I pulled Java Moss off of the filter intake like hair from a drain the other night >.<

Very nice set up :)

Off to a great start.

Thanks! I'm very happy with it! =D

Oh this looks great! I have a similar tank to this, conditions and all (heavily planted, similarly stocked etc) but I have a bunch of fast growing plants in it. Which is good, because every time I trim them, they go in my planted 55 gallon tank.

The anacharis and bacopa are taking off in there, same with the pennywort.

Anyway, your tank is beautiful!

Oh this looks great! I have a similar tank to this, conditions and all (heavily planted, similarly stocked etc) but I have a bunch of fast growing plants in it. Which is good, because every time I trim them, they go in my planted 55 gallon tank.

The anacharis and bacopa are taking off in there, same with the pennywort.

Anyway, your tank is beautiful!

Thanks! Anicharis doesn't seem to like the water here. I used to have some, but it died lol I've Bacopa in my 10 gallon, its slowly taking over (first and quickly, vertically, and more slowly horizontally lol). Pennywort seems to be slow growing in this water too. The pennywort in my 10 gallon (700 miles away) grows like a weed!

i would like a few new plants to add to my 10 gallon as i only have 3 types.

your tank is absolutly beautiful! i love it! i just adore planted tanks like yours heavily planted gorgeous!

BTW i love your siggy!!!

Hey, go for it! New plants are so fun =3 Almost as fun as new fish! XD

Thank you! I figured my sig needed to be something related to my first Goldfish, Magikarp. It seemed fitting LOL

• 3 weeks later...