My Tetra Whisper 60 finally failed

2 years almost exactly. Both diaphrams ruptured. Can't blame the air pump though because it's power about 44" of Marineland bubble stick (that thin blue stuff). I couldn't even blow through that stick even when it was new, so I figured the pump wouldn't last long.

So I shows the stick the inside of a trash can, and ordered 2 rebuild kits for the pump off Amazon. For now, my back up is a brand new Rena 400, running a new 48" flexible bubble stick, burried under the gravel. I've had the Rena for a year and not used it because it's louder than the Whisper 60 and moves less air.

That's a pretty decent life for the pump.

RIP faithful air pump! :)

Oh, it's not dead permanently. I've got 2 rebuild kits coming, so I'll rebuild it.........2min job......and have a spare kit for next time. It's apart and waiting for kit.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to bag a couple of kits then.

Although good grief, they're on sale right now w/ free shipping for $14.12 w/ free shipping if your order is more than $25. Add a rebuild kit and it would be: http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77854-Whisper-Pump-60-Gallon/dp/B0009YJ4NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331101634&sr=8-1

I went with the seller "Pet Solutions" and my kits were $9.49ea and then $5.99 to ship them both.http://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Aquarium-Pump-Parts-dome-style/dp/B001NTHFB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331101634&sr=8-2

My 2 repair kits arrived and I "rebuilt" it just a few minutes ago. It moves so much more air through the new bubble stick than the Rena 400....to the point of, gee, it'd be nice to turn it down. But that brings on an early failure rate, so I'll leave it as-is.

I didn't know you could rebuild airpumps!

My rena is way underpowered for my tank. I think I need to buy another one. Thanks for the tip about Amazon.

Glad you're back up and bubbling.

mj

That is a decent life for a diaphragm pump. :) I had major problems with the Whisper 100, but my Tetra deep that I got used still cranks. I remember that I looked into fixing the 100, but the rebuild kit cost almost as much as a new pump. I think you have to buy the whole arm assembly on those Tetra pumps rather than just the diaphragm itself. Most people love those Whisper pumps, maybe I just had bad luck. I hope that you get many good years with those rebuild kits. :)

Yes, the rebuild kit for the whisper pump gets you the whole thing......metal arm with pivot bushing on one end, and magnet on the other, and the diaphram installed in the middle, with the air control block that has the check valves and new o-rings for the control block. Literally just pop the lid off the pump, slide out the 2 diaphram assemblies, set the new o-rings into the new assemblies, wipe some spit on them, and slide the new components into position. The 100 uses the same diaphrams as the 60, so I wonder what change they made to make it a 100? Bigger motor?

I hate tossing stuff like this in the trash, so for me, it was worth it to rebuild.