Bottom sitting, bloated, other fish starting to bottom sit

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the support guys <3 It's nice to have a community that understands how I feel about my fish. So many people think they are "just" fish!

Anyhow - a minor crisis... I thought I received my Prazi just a minute ago, but the company sent me something called MicroBacter7 which is a marine product?!? And not even medication! On my packing slip it even says PraziPro!!! Aaah!! I was hoping to treat this ASAP so the other fish do not fall to the same fate! :[

Alright. So I have the company shipping me the correct product (PraziPro) and am shipping back the incorrect one they sent me.

Good news - I have also received the MetroMeds today. Here is my question:

Tomorrow will mark the 14th day I have fed MediGold. Now that I have the MetroMeds should I switch to that immediately, or am I supposed to stay on MediGold until (and throughout) the Prazi treatment?

May we have a video of the guys? Are there are problems still lingering, or are they all doing well?

Let's discuss the Prazi when you are ready to start treating. I am thinking that you will only need to do salt+Prazi and no medicated food :)

Sure, I will take one tonight. They are not 100% ok, but they are not terrible. They hover or sit at the bottom in a corner about 50% of the time. The rest of the time they are swimming about, picking at the gravel or checking out the plants and acting pretty normal. They have some red streaking in their tails.

Should I resume feeding them their normal diet (pellets, bloodworms, veggies) tomorrow then?

Oh and if I can avoid putting salt in the tank, I have 2 snails that it might harm. I would prefer to not remove them but of course will if I need to.

Edited by Sassyfras McGee

The seller let me know yesterday that they would be mailing another out, but no word on when it should arrive. I asked in a follow up email but have not heard back yet.

Here is the video - they don't usually hide like this, or run away from me. When they are not sick they come straight up to my face and swim all around the aquarium like happy little fishies.

OK. What I would like to suggest is the following:

- dissolve 10 tablespoons aquarium salt/gallon. One 1-2 gallon container is fine. This is a 3% solution. Weight until water has cooled down and matches that of the tank before doing anything.

- add fish (individually) to the salt solution. The fish can only stay in there for a maximum of 5 minutes. If he/she starts to lose balance and tip over, poke him/her to see if she rights herself. If she cannot, take her out even if it's not yet 5 minutes. Transfer back to tank. If she lasts the entire five minutes, take her out and put back in tank. If you have a holding tank where you can put them in for an hour or so after the dip, that would be fantastic.

If you have any questions, let me know :)

Alrighty. Yesterday I did the salt dip on all 3 fish. I do not have an extra tank to put them in for an hour after, so I did a 70% water change a few hours later to get rid of the ammonia and waste that I'm told they put off after the dip.

They seem to be doing considerably better today. Not all the way normal, but bottom sitting significantly less, and utilizing more of the tank rather than hanging out in the bottom 1/3. Still waiting on my Prazi.. the vendor said they were waiting to get it in from their supplier, and THEN they could mail it to me :[ I have called stores around here to see if I could just go pick it up, but no one carries it.

I'm glad they are doing better. What percentage salt did you use? I would like for you to do two more, spaced every other day. I may want you to increase the percentage salt though.

Alright! Tonight I did another 3% salt dip. They seem to be responding well to that, they are looking more and more normal :] I know we're not out of the weeds yet but to see them acting so happy makes my day. Thnk you thank you THANK YOU again.

For the 3rd dip, what percentage should I use?

Let's keep it at 3%.

Is your tank salted at the moment? If not, I would like for you to start salting the tank up to 0.3%. If you need directions, there are two links in my signature with instructions.

I'm very glad they are doing better, and hope to see them in full recovery and energy ASAP!

I have 2 snails in my tank that I'd like to keep in there, if I can. I've heard mixed reviews about snails tolerating salt. Some say if you increase slowly (as your process outlines) then they can adjust to it fine. Others say don't risk it. Do you have any advice on that?

I don't currenly have a spare tank that I could place the snails into while I salt my tank, but if it is necessary then I definiely will go purchase one.

I personally couldn't tell you how well they will do in 0.3% salt. Hopefully someone else can jump in for that. I have kept snails for a few weeks at 0.1%, and they did fine.

Instead of a tank tank, you could just get a small Sterilite container to temporarily hold the snails. I've done that before, and they are fine. Just make you have some sort of lid that you can cover most of the container while leaving space for air exchange. They like to run around lol.

I personally wouldn't risk the salt, I have always taken my snails out when I have to salt, I use a small kritter keeper that has a cover, I stick a little airstone in it and change the water daily. :) You can pick them up pretty cheaply at petco/petsmart, but as alex said a sterilite container would work just as well if you could get some mesh/netting etc. to cover the top.

I am SO FRUSTRATED! This stupid Amazon store absolutely cannot get me this Prazi, they have terrible customer service, and I've just cancelled my order. I'm going to place it again with another store. This has been such a nightmare. After they sent me the wrong product, they told me they had to wait to get the Prazi in from THEIR vendor (even though it said it was in stock and ready to ship) before they could send it to me. They wait DAYS to get back to me despite me (nicely) letting them know it's urgent, that one fish has died already and to let me know when it would ship. Haven't heard from them at all this week, finally emailed them today using my firm but controlled big girl voice to let them know I needed it ASAP and I needed a status update, and they kindly let me know that they had it in but indeed, hadn't shipped it out to me yet.

Don't order anything from Direct Line Superstore!

All RIGHT! My new prazi came today. So, salt is at 3%. Should I go ahead and dose Prazi with it?

The fish are about the same... not terrible but not 100% either. And I now officially have less than 1" of gravel in the tank.

Yay! What an adventure just to get Prazi! :)

This is what I would like for you to do:

1. Could you check tank parameters?

2. Then, do a 75% WC. After you are done, dissolve and add 9 teaspoons of salt to the tank. This effectively will adjust your salt concentration in the tank to 0.1%. Any higher than that and the Prazipro won't be as effective.

3. Then, add 2 teaspoons Prazipro. :)

4. 4 days from now, do a 75% WC. Add back 26 teaspoons of salt to place salinity back at 0.1%

5. The next day, do another 75% WC. Add back 26 teaspoons of salt. Then add 2 teaspoons Prazipro.

We'll reassess when we get to that point :)