ohmahgawd what do I do now!?

happysnapper

OMG, these guys got so big! :D

Couple of quick questions - one, when can I raise the water level? And two, when can I switch to a regular filter?

I raised the water level on mine when they were about 3 weeks old. How big is their tub? I added an internal filter at around the same time, it turned over 90gph in a 10gallon tub. Just still make sure you cover the intake firmly. Wrap some floss around it and secure it with a couple plain rubber bands, so no fish can get sucked in :)

EDIT: But keep in mind, mine are single tails and so the better swimmers. At 3 weeks old, 9x filtration might be too strong for fancies. I'd look for a filter that will give you about 5x filtration for now, or something where you can adjust the flow rate.

To get something cheap, the Top Fin 20 has adjustable flow rate from about 50gph to 100gph. It's a decent filter for being cheap and holds a good amount of media too. I like these for backups and emergencies. The low price and adjustable flow rate is what I like about them.

Do you think an AC 70 or an AC 50 with the flow turned all the way down would be okay in the 40g? I can put the sponge from the sponge filter over the intake.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice batch of fry! It looks like the tails are already splitting. Did you get many single tails? O sorry about the brine shrimp sticker shock. They are expensive but a can last me most the year. the little bottles at the pet store last about 3 days.

The tails have been split for a little bit, I haven't seen but maybe one singletail. Of course there are so many it's hard to notice all their characteristics, but some of them already have some nice long tails for their body size. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody want an update? :D

Too bad, you're getting one anyway.

A green guy and a see-through guy.

6900531384_f54db95bfa_b.jpg

The plant-dwelling babies. They all have their "zones." Some like the plants, some like the bottom corner, some like the bottom middle...

6900531310_bcf156caf2_b.jpg

I am almost certain Johnny is one of the dads. Some of these guys are nothing but bellies and fins.

6900531034_26d8691a15_b.jpg

This is the first one with a name. I call him Jaws because of the shape of his dorsal fin. :lol He's one of the biggest.

7046627857_d574170dd9_o.jpg

Look at the tail on this guy!!

7046627825_18df373943_b.jpg

They are SO. CUTE! Will you be keeping any? I don't have my fish yet, but it is exciting/nerve racking thinking i could have little guys like these some day! You are doing a great job, keep those pics coming!

:rofl Helen

The derpiest looking one is hereby named Jayhawk.

Here they are at 5 weeks. :D In case you watch it on mute, yes, the tank is a mess. I tried giving them frozen krill but it was a little big. :rofl They are still giving it the old college try on eating it though. :rofl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...