ohmahgawd what do I do now!?

happysnapper

LOL. I noticed the shirt too.

I know I keep saying this but I can't believe how tiny the fry are! We had discus fry all the time and they for some reason seem bigger than these guys. So excited!! Post lots of updates please :D

Thats because they are. Discus fry look like giants compared to goldie fry. Discus also grow at a ridiculous rate the first week. They practically double in size daily. What kind of discus did you raise?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked in LOTP if anyone could estimate the # there are, so estimators, ESTIMATE!

I spied teeny tiny pectoral fins today.

(Oh and the ribbon my daughter is talking about is a pink ribbon that says BIRTHDAY PRINCESS :rofl She has made me wear it all day.) Edited by happysnapper

A good rule when guessing the amount of fry you have is to guess then double that number! It is amazing how many fry can fit in such a tiny space! Its hard to estimate the amount of fry you have when you have a ton. I would be more in line with kokos guess.

Edited by Patti

Anyone have any idea how much brine shrimp eggs to put in at a time?

does it have a little measurer or spoon with them? My can has a little scoop that you use 1 per quart of water. Let me see if i can figure out how big the scoop is :)

The scoop is approx. 3/8 teaspoon? It 3/4 filled a 1/2 teaspoon :) so I think thats 3/8 tsp? To make it easy and since a 3/8 tsp is probably not commonly availble i would use 1/2 tsp per quart.

Ok, I wanted to get started so I used half what it said on the jar - (1/2 quart water, 1 tbsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon eggs)

Wait no 1/4 teaspoon. Didn't want to waste them. LFS ordered a really tiny thing, only 6 grams. :( And they only have one left (but they will order more if I want)

I use these http://www.kensfish....product855.html or these http://www.brineshri...p-Eggs-c22.html they are much cheaper!

Edited by Patti

Patti, I literally gasped when I saw the prices of those. :lol

I gave them their first live meal today, and they loved it! It was so fun watching them hone in on the teeny tiny shrimp.

Picture updates... let's play spot the fry and ignore the brown algae!!

6983033655_17c8af47a5_b.jpg

Crop taken from that photo and enlarged. They have real eyes! And full bellies. :D

6836909376_c9f86dfdc5_o.jpg

The fry are 10 days old now. There are still gobs of them. :lol I took one out that was all messed up and swimming weird and fed him to the tropicals. Other than that, I haven't really lost any, or if I have they've cannibalized the dead ones. I'm not seeing dead fry anywhere. Is that weird?

They are looking more like fish and less like tadpoles. :D Some of them look like they're going to have some awesome tails. I wonder if Johnny is their daddy? :D Here they are having breakfast.

6990332891_3bc79a6052_b.jpg

Okay and now a question. Some have weird looking bellies, like the two on the bottom in this picture. Is this normal?

6844208198_3d1c303e6d_o.jpg

Couple of quick questions - one, when can I raise the water level? And two, when can I switch to a regular filter?

Anyone?

Here is a quick picture update, they're a little over two weeks old. From above...

7011142613_fd0fc27082_b.jpg

6865023516_201a8336c8_b.jpg

OMG, these guys got so big! :D

Couple of quick questions - one, when can I raise the water level? And two, when can I switch to a regular filter?

I raised the water level on mine when they were about 3 weeks old. How big is their tub? I added an internal filter at around the same time, it turned over 90gph in a 10gallon tub. Just still make sure you cover the intake firmly. Wrap some floss around it and secure it with a couple plain rubber bands, so no fish can get sucked in :)

EDIT: But keep in mind, mine are single tails and so the better swimmers. At 3 weeks old, 9x filtration might be too strong for fancies. I'd look for a filter that will give you about 5x filtration for now, or something where you can adjust the flow rate.

To get something cheap, the Top Fin 20 has adjustable flow rate from about 50gph to 100gph. It's a decent filter for being cheap and holds a good amount of media too. I like these for backups and emergencies. The low price and adjustable flow rate is what I like about them.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang