ohmahgawd what do I do now!?

happysnapper

So Fred laid some eggs the other day. Most of them got eaten but I saw there were still some stuck to the fake plant after everyone had their fill, so I moved the plant to an empty tank. Now the clear eggs have EYES!!! OMG they are totally going to hatch, aren't they? What do I do? :krazy: :krazy:

I already wrapped the intake with sponge so it can't suck anybody up.

Edited by happysnapper

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay! that's awesome! I know nothing about babies, but I assume you will need to get them out of there somehow and into their own tank if you want to try to raise them :) (otherwise they will turn into a delicious breakfast eventually) You could probably just move the whole plant into a separate tank with a sponge filter maybe?

Edited by tithra

Perfect! that's great! :D

EDIT: Derp, I see you wrote that now, I think I was just too excited by the pics

Edited by tithra

Congrats!

First, when they hatch lower the tank water level to 4-6 inches because they cannot handle the pressure as well as the adults. You will need a sponge filter to replace the regular filter. Try to seed it a little bit in the big tank.

Second, can you hatch some baby brine shrimp? I can send you some eggs if you need.

Ok, I can do that on the water level and sponge filter. I don't know if my local stores have baby brine shrimp kits. I know they have frozen baby brine shrimp. Is that okay? Or I saw you can also feed egg yolk? I also have First Bites.

When I hatched my fry I had him in a tub with 6" of water and a sponge filter with really gentle bubbles. I think any bother type of filter will be too strong for the babies. I also dosed the water with methalyne blue to deter the unhatched eggs from develping mold. I didn't add the methalyne blue right away and there was white fuzz everywhere! It's also important to keep them warm! High 70s-80 degrees is best.

I set up a brine shrimp hatchery with an air stone and a mason jar. I dissolved 2 teaspoons of salt in a liter of water then put that water and 1/8 of a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs in the jar and swirled it around a bit to get the eggs all wet so they would sink. I punched hole in the lid to run an airline through and some extra holes for the air to escape. Screwed on the lid with the air going into the jar, keep the jar warmish and you will have baby wiggly pink shrimps in 24-48 hours. To feed them to the babies you take the lid off and the air tube out and let it settle for a few minutes. The baby shrimp will be in the bottom third of the jar and you just turkey them out.

(sorry for any typos or weird sentences, I'm typing on my phone)

Live food would be better since the movement makes them see it as food. I've never tried anything else. I can easily send you a baggie and just follow the instructions above.

Hey what's the best way to get the unfertilized eggs out, assuming I can find them all. :lol

Probably a turkey baster, but don't be too eager to pull them out - they are very sticky and you might damage the fertilized ones

congrats on the eggs! I have some 2 month old fry right now and its amazing how small they start out. Make sure to remove the fungus eggs right away. I also put in some methylene blue which helped prevent fungus. Good luck! :clapping:

sweet deal! Looks like you already got good advice :) I just wanted to say nice work! Tomorrow you should have free swimmers.