What should I be Feeding my Goldfish?

Aluyasha

I know flakes can cause swim bladder issues so I went looking for pellet food. I went to my lfs to talk to the fish guy there and he suggested Mazuri Koi Pellets, I have been feeding them these pellets since I first got them.

I heard the pellets might have corn in them? I know corn is bad for pretty much all pets. Is there any brand better for them? Should I be mixing brands maybe? I know a varied diet is good for other fish.

I am still learning about Goldfish, any info will help. :)

Edited by Aluyasha

I am not familiar with the pellets you have so I cannot speak to those, but good brands of pellets include Hikari (many people feed Saki Hikari the purple bag, Hikari Lionhead is another good sinking pellet), new life spectrum, omega one, and progold (http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=2&catId=1).

Another option is to make homemade gel food for your fish. This allows you to have more control over what is in your fish food, helps to provide variety in the diet, and is good for fish who may be sensitive to commercial foods/have swim bladder issues. There are many gel food recipes on this forum. Here is a link to a recent thread on gel food for floaty fish :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/

The best way to add variety to your fishes' diet is to feed them lots of fresh veggies. You can feed blanched veggies such as kale, romaine, cucumber, zucchini, spinach, endive etc. on a veggie clip. You can also give them a little slice of orange or lime as an occasional treat.

I personally feed primarily gel food, along with a few meals of Saki Hikari or pro gold. I also give my fish lots of veggies throughout the week :)

I didn't know corn was a "problem" for fish, per se. just that it's probably a filler like yeast. check your food's ingredients - you'll want the fillers near the end and as little crude ash as possible.

many people here make their own gel food recipes. if you want to as well, check out the threads on this board! there are plenty to try. :) if homemade gel food is too messy for you, or you just don't have time, good pellets that are often recommended are Omega One, ProGold and Hikari. to vary their diet, you'll want to feed veggies as well (boiled/blanched so they can chew it easily). there's a list on this board of veggies they can eat, but it's different with different goldies so yours might not like something other people's do! although I know that mine will try to eat whatever you put in, including my hand lol. you can also feed frozen things like bloodworms and daphnia and brineshrimp, they go nuts for that stuff haha. you could try live but it's just that unless you are raising these live foods yourself, you don't know what environment they come from so they may have nasty parasites which, when eaten by your goldies, they also get. :( freeze-dried stuff is usually basically nutrion-less so I wouldn't bother with those.

edit: ninja'd by tithra! xD

Edited by cathface

I do not think gel food would work for Pacer, he is weird with his eating habits. I think I will go with Pro-Gold. :)

I did give them some deshelled peas yesterday.

How do I "blanch" something?

from wikipedia:

Blanching is a cooking process wherein the food substance, usually a vegetable or fruit, is plunged into boiling water, removed after a brief, timed interval, and finally plunged into iced water or placed under cold running water (shocked) to halt the cooking process.

The meaning of blanching is "to whiten", but this is not always the purpose of blanching in cooking. Food is blanched to soften it, or to partly or fully cook it, or to remove a strong taste (for example of bacon, cabbage, or onions).

When almonds or pistachios are blanched, the skin of the nut (botanically the seed coat surrounding the embryo) softens and can be easily removed later.

The technique of blanching vegetables is best illustrated by the requirement to stop cook asparagus, otherwise it would become soggy due to the asparagus continuing to cook after it is removed from the boiling water. To cook asparagus using the blanching method, the shoots are boiled for 30 seconds, and then to stop the cooking instantly they are dipped into cold or ice water. Note: the term "blanched asparagus" is also used for white asparagus, which is produced by a special gardening technique.

I generally just blanch spinach and asparagus, everything else gets boiled. I don't feed the goldies the asparagus though, that's for me. :)

Which veggies do I boil and which do I blanch?

And how often do I fed them veggies? Once a day?

Edited by Aluyasha

personally I only blanch spinach because otherwise they get a bit too soggy... everything else I boil. :) except I don't cook peas, I just wait for them to thaw, deshell them, and then mush them up in my palm with my fingers. that's personal preference I reckon, some people cook their peas, some don't.

Actually, soggy spinach is good :P

I've entirely phased out peas for my goldfish (except in the gel food), and have replaced it with spinach. I cook them in the microwave in some tank water for 3 minutes :)

It's really well cooked by that point.

haha if I'm feeding spinach it's usually because I'm putting some in something I'm cooking for me as well, so I just blanch them.

lol, sorry to create confusion, I guess I use 'blanch' in a more general sense to say to soften/boil/steam a veggie :D I usually just microwave my veggies in a cup of tank water for 30 sec- 1 min :)

I just gave them some Romaine I microwaved in tank water. Pushy ate the whole thing! lol

I felt bad that Pacer did not get any so I gave him some frozen bloodworms. :)

They are both happy fish right now. :) :)

Another question, how exactly do I prepare the oranges and limes for them? Do I boil them too or maybe just stick them on a veggie clip raw?

Edited by Aluyasha

I just gave them some Romaine I microwaved in tank water. Pushy ate the whole thing! lol

Another question, how exactly do I prepare the oranges and limes for them? Do I boil them too or maybe just stick them on a veggie clip raw?

I am glad he liked it! I actually use 2 veggie clips for my fish because I have one who is very pushy with food. If I didn't split it up between two clips the other one would never get any :P

Oranges and limes can be raw. I personally cut a slice in half and kind of open up the clear thin skin on one side so that the flesh sticks out a bit then put it on the veggie clip.

I am glad he liked it! I actually use 2 veggie clips for my fish because I have one who is very pushy with food. If I didn't split it up between two clips the other one would never get any :P

Oranges and limes can be raw. I personally cut a slice in half and kind of open up the clear thin skin on one side so that the flesh sticks out a bit then put it on the veggie clip.

Thanks! I will be buying two veggie clips. Pacer is bossy when it comes to food. :) He does not hurt her, but he pushes her away with his head, he even tried to pull the romaine out of her mouth while she was chewing it. lol

lol, Pacer sounds like Edie. I hand feed Puff gel food and pellets to make sure he gets his fair share of food because Edie is so aggressive about it. If Puff gets a pellet before her she will start pushing him around to punish him for it. He is such a docile fish he has no idea what is happening lol, poor little guy.

Edited by tithra

My goldfish absolutely loves peas! I feed them a pea per goldfish a couple of times a week along with the usual dry pellet goldfish food.

I haven't tried making my own gel food yet but I'm considering it after reading alot about the benefits on this forum :D

When I feed spinach I just cook it till it's good and soggy and then tear it into little bite size pieces and drop it in. They love it.

I think I will rip it into pieces too. I was a little worried watching Pushy ingulf that entire romaine leaf, she was fine but I do not want to chance a future choking.

• 1 month later...
Guest RosiBosiE

I also feed my Goldies with peas 3 times a week and they love it but now I am trying out those Tetra Supergoldfish sticks, so I was wondering if the stick is 0.7 - 1 cm big how many sticks should I feed each fish / my fishes are between 10-20 cm big/. If someone feeds with sticks I will appreciate every advise.