Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Fungus/finrot?

Hi everyone!

Awhile back, right after Whitie spawned, I noticed a white mark on her tail. She is white, but the white mark was along the outer edge of her tail, and looked thick. I just kept an eye on it, and it did not seem to get any worse.

Then the white spot got a red dot in it, and split. I salted the tank, 0.3% and the red dot went away, but the thick white spot stayed.

I noticed a few more white spots on her tail. They are not ich spots. I am assuming they are fungus, but they don't really look like cotton.

Now she has another red spot on her tail. It seems the white spot splits up to the red dot.

She also, as of today, has a little red spot on the base of her pectoral fins.

She spawned 6 weeks ago So basically she has had these white spots for almost 6 weeks.

The red dots on pectoral fins are new though.

She is in the 44 gal tank, with 4 fish, been running since Sept. 25/03

ph 8

ammonia 0

nitrite 0-0.1

nitrate 10

Filter is an A/C 300 and also has an airstone in there.

No new additions.

I change the water, well my water changes vary week to week.

ALWAYS gets a gravel vac, and 30-40% water change once a week. Sometimes I will do one or two extra water changes of 10-25% just because.

She eats all kinds of food, mostly Hikari though.

Whitie is acting fine, dorsal fin is up, she's hungry as usual, swimming fine, it's just her tail......

Basically I need to know what you would do. I am trying to just wait the salt out, but I"m not sure if it's going to work. I am afraid I'm going to wait until she's really sick and not be able to do anything.

Jessica

jess,

its good to here that the red marks are gone! ;)

(these are just a few ideas) do you think that maybe you caught the end of a nitrite spike? how often do you test your water? did your filter gunk up a bit at all in the past? you know, like the water flow of your filter was impeded? maybe the white spots are a bacteria infection trying to breach the slimecoat/skin of her tail and the red spots are where it was successful. maybe spawning depletes female fish of stored vitamins and such that have to do with their immune system and/or slime coat? much the same way that it does in humans and other animals. now that shes back to her normal state of being (not being chased around and not prego) maybe she wont have any more red spots form anywhere! :unsure:

my comet, lurch, had a bought (twice) with mouth fungus. he had a fuzzy spot forming on his upper lip with a tiny red dot in the middle, under the fuzz. i treated him with a combination of melafix (antibacterial properties) and pimafix (antibacterial and antifungial properties). im starting to think that people arent giving these to enough serious thought because it cleared his mouth fungus/bacteria up within 2-3 days, both times! of course i wouldnt rely on these for as many ailments as it claims to treat. just fin/tailrot and minor fungus/bacterial infections.

anybody else got any suggestions? :o

Thank you so much Toothless.

I test my water usually every day! A few times I have gone as long as every other day. I usually only test for nitrites though. And then I test for everything once a week.

I do have Pimafix. Last time I added that, my fish crashed, and I had to scurry to get the carbon in the tank and do a huge water change, I've been afraid to use it again! I may give it another go though, if this does not clear up.

Have you used Pimafix/melafix in the tank that has your loach? I was wondering how Swampy would react if I ever need to treat the whole tank.

I talked to someone named Steve, from Koi Canada, and he suggested I dip her tail in a peroxide bath, or a stronger option would be a potassium permanganate paste and swab.

And to feed medicated food, with Romet B being good.

I will give that a go for now, and hopefully this will clear up for good. It is looking better today. This Steve I talked to, is sort of in my area, and deals with sick fish. I am happy I finally found someone that lives sort of near me, that can help out. I've been searching for a vet that deals with fish, but no luck!

Jessica

ive used the mela/pima combo in my tank thats houses my comet, loach, cory and a pleco. nobody showed any adverse reactions to it at all!

please explain what you experienced with the pimafix! i think that pimafix is meant to be used with melafix, not alone. this could be a reason for your bad experience.

paul

p.s. with minor problems such as this, i try to stay away from peroxide dips and such. too many "accidents" can happen! could you imagine accidentally dropping a fish into peroxide? i hear that its very bad for their gills and eyes! :unsure:

i hope whitie starts to look a bit better soon! shes such a beautiful goldie! :wub:

Pimafix can be used alone, but it is also designed so that it can be used in conjunction with melafix.

I added the pimafix when my loach started looking sick, like the first two I had. The moment I put the pimafix in the loach rolled over on his side.

Then little blackie whom I was watching swimming around the tank, dorsal fin up, rolled over on his side, crashed to the bottom gasping with fins clamped, just like that! Blackie crashed too.

Whitie did not seem bothered.

As soon as I put the carbon in, and did a large water change, everyone was back to normal.

I added 1 teaspoon per 10 US gallons.

I was astounded, because the pimafix said it was safe for scaleless fish, and discus fry etc....and my fish crashed.

I have not used it since, although, I may pull Whitie out of the tank and treat her with it if need be.

Whities tail will only be dipped in the peroxide, her body will be no where near it, she has a long tail :D And I've done peroxide swabs in the past.

I would rather try the swab, before I add meds. Adding medications scares me :lol

Jessica

I have heard of fish having reactions to Melafix (Wynkin's) and Im sure they could have reactions to Pimafix too. It sounds like the nitrite in your tank caused these tail problems. My comet Right? used to have things like that on her tail, too. She would get them anytime the water got the least bit dirty. Whitie looks like she has a pretty long tail so this could be the case with her too. Comets and veiltails dont have very much bloodflow to the ends of their tails and fins so theyre much more prone to infections there.

Do you know why you had a nitrite spike? Thats weird in an established tank. Right? would get red on her tail, fins, and the bases of her fins during nitrite spikes. I would bet that this is what you were seeing with Whitie.

very true! the peroxide swabs/taildips might be a little less invasive. how soon after them do you see the slime coat settling back to normal? ive read that they can tweak the appearance of it (temporarily).

Thanks Jsrtist.

Whitie had the white spots and split tail before the nitrite spike. It happend right after spawning.

My nitrites spiked because of too much food :thud And she got the red marks because of the nitrites.

I bought those freeze dried brine shrimp, that look like little cubes. I had never fed those before. I just threw 3 of the cubes into the main tank. The fish grabbed them, and shook them, and pieces were flying every where! It made the biggest mess I have ever seen.

I did a gravel vac, right after feeding, but my nitrites rose anyway.

Thanks a lot Jsrtist!

Jessica

Toothless, I have only swabbed wounds/sores. I did not notice a difference in the slime coat.

For the wounds, I just swabbed once with peroxide, and then put neosporin on the wound once or twice a day. This will be interesting, and I hope that it clears the tail up before it becomes a problem.

Jessica

yes, very intresting indeed! keep us posted about the peroxide tail dips!

good luck jess! :D

Well I swabbed her tail with peroxide this morning. I didn't have very much peroxide (I have to go to the store!) so I just swabbed it with a cotton ball.

Her tail looks kind of grainy now.

I started her on medi-gold too.

She still looks fine, dorsal fin up swimming around etc.

But she has a red sore at the base of her tail now :( I swabbed it good. The rest of her tail is actually looking better.

Jessica

glad to hear that shes still doing well!

i figured the peroxide would affect the appearance of her tail. from what ive read, its only temporary! :)

im wondering if there is a brand that offers a food that can help boost goldies immune systems? i know that omega one claims to have such a blend but, im not sure of the validity. anyway, im sure that whitie will be just fine. :D

keep us posted! :hi

Japanese Medigold (which is not the same as Ricks medigold) is said to boost the immune system. I may just try that stuff out! The Fish Sempai carries it.

She is still doing ok. I always get so worried with Whitie, even when it's just a little boo boo.

Jessica

Ugh, well it looked worse before it looked better.

Her tail got red streaks through it, looked grainy, and she got more white spots on her tail, and her dorsal fin looked like it had a few too. <_<

I did a peroxide dip on her tail two days in a row, and I have not dipped it since. Just kept some salt in the water, and am feeding medigold.

It looked like her tail was actually going to fray like well like finrot!

But today it is looking better. *knocks on wood* the white spots look almost gone, and the split looks like it's healing, and there are no white spots on her dorsal fin. :bounce

I was starting to make plans to medicate :unsure: But since it is looking better, I will stick to the original plan.

Jessica