Dwarf Frogs As Tank Mates?

eather.hey

I'm a goldie fan myself, but something made me buy this little 2 gallon hex tank and 2 little dwarf frogs. From what I've read online, bettas are good tank mates for dwarf frogs. My mom has a betta and dwarf frog in a tank together and they get along just fine. I figured since they both breathe at the surface, oxygen wouldn't be too much of a concern. Plus the hex came with an "underground filter" which seems more like an airstone to me. I've read conflicting things about bettas (and frogs) and current in the tank. Some sites say they like it, some say they hate it. Anyone have experience with this combo? Everytime I go to the petstore (or nnnnnn :thud ) I come soooo close to buying (or saving!) a betta. Since I found this little forum, I figured an expert would be able to help me decide.

Thanx!

Heather

Yes bettas and Dwarf frogs as African Dwarf frogs "ADF"

Go very well togther.

My main concern would be the size of a 2 gallon jar.

For the betta alone i think it would be

alrigh but

haveing 1 betta and lets say 2 Df (Dwarf frogs)

Would be to small (This is what i think)

Im not experience that mutch with Df;s but with bettas yes.

Hopefully someone can help you alot more then i did

good luck :hi

You know how people always talk about the old lady in the neighborhood with all the cats? I'm gonna be the old lady in the neighborhood with all the fish. I swear! I know that ADF's get a little too large for the 2gal, but I thought for the time being...I have a 10gal with 3 corys in it. Maybe I can put a betta and the frogs in there...and then just a betta in the 2gal. Any experience with corys and bettas? Corys are so calm...they don't bother anyone.

This is coming from someone who has spent like $300 in fish, tanks and products in the past month! I just spent $75 at the petstore today to get meds for my sick goldies and I'm talking about now getting 2 bettas.

This is a sickness! B)

I'm addicted.

Heather

Guest sourmilknightmares

Actually African dwarf frogs (Hence the word "Dwarf") would probably be fine in the two gallon. The recommended amount of space per frog is 1-2 gallons of water. (African clawed frogs are another matter. They need 5-10 gallons per frog.) Your hex sounds something similar to the one I have my female betta in. The under graver filter that comes with it works EXCELLENTLY! I HIGHLY recommend them for a betta.

Having two frogs and a betta in the 2 gallon might be pushing it. If you really feel the need to get a betta why not just buy a large (1-3 gallon) vase or bowl? That should give the betta enough swimming space to keep him happy. You'll have to do at least weekly 100% water changes, but if you don't mind that the betta should be quite content in good sized bowl. And there's no need for a filter or anything if you stay on top of your water changes. Bettas are such awesome fish and they require relatively little care. I recommend them for anyone who wants a fish with a little flare.

Okay, sorry for the stupid pun....

I though 100% water changes a week are

not recomended.

Maby at least 80% water changes.

I find that they will need some of there old water to get used

to there new water.....

I could be wrong..... but i don't see a use for a 100%

water change.

Guest Romeo

Hey I have had 2 ADF frogs alone in a 2 Gal Hex tank for about 7 months now. They are doing just fine, they don't grow too fast really. I bought them very small. They LOVE stuff to hide under. I have never had any other animals with them but I know that the frogs are doing just dandy.

Guest sourmilknightmares

The amount of water to be changed really differ's from person to person. When I was on an all betta message board everyone was cool with 100% water changes and that's what they did. Then I come here and you mention 100% water changes and some people freak out claiming it's not good, healthy, etc, for the fish and they need some of the old water to get used to it. I think everyone's just making fish keeping more difficult than it really is. That's just my opinion though and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've been doing 100% water changes for 4 years now with no adverse affects. The fish stress out a bit when being caught but then they calm down again as soon as they are in their tank again. I've tried partial water changes and I find it's just a real pain to try to siphon out water from a smaller sized container. It takes forever and then the fish get REALLY freaked out when you are pouring the new water in because the current knocks them around like a whirlwind. :idont I guess both have their downsides, but its 100% water changes for me.

Bettas and corys get along very well and are good tankmates. The only time you wouldn't want corys in the tank is when you are trying to breed them since the corys like to dart to the top for a gulp of air and that will disturb the nest.

Other than that, they do very well together.

I don't know anything about African dwarf frogs, but I am going to look them up on Google :D .

I haven't bought one for such a long time, since mine are twelve years old lol, I can't really remember. However, I am sure they are only a few dollars. Some of the more exotic ones are probably more, but then they are more fragile then the peppered or bronze corys.

My albino corys were 1.99 each, I think, at mmm. My local ma and pop shop sells them for a little more, but their fish are always healthy. I've seen panda corys for as much as 6.99.

Oh, these are U.S.A. prices by the way.

I still haven't found "the" betta yet. But I've decided to get one when I find the one that I fall in love with!

Archived