Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Growing duckweed in a separate tank?

I just purchased some duckweed on aquabid with the intent of setting up a small tank for the sole purpose of growing duckweed for the goldies. I am just going to use one of the 1-2 gallon critter carriers so it will just be duckweed and water in it (no livestock).

I am assuming that the duckweed will need some sort of fertilization to grow (right?), would dosing with flourish work for this? How often would I want to change the water? Anything else I need to know? :)

I am not an expert, but probably what I would try is using some old water change water (just the water, not the gunk) for the duckweed tank, then just changing that out when I did water changes on the goldfish tank.

I would also just fill that tank with old tank water from the main tank, which should be good enough fert as duckweed is pretty rampant. Im sure flourish wouldnt hurt, but may be an uneeded expense long term.

I can only agree, filling it with tank water, and then replacing part of the water every time you do a water change, that should work.

A 1-2 gallon container will not offer much room for the duckweed though. I would rather go with something that has a little bit bigger surface area. That way you can grow a lot of duckweed to feed the fish a lot of it!

I think a shallow rubermaid container would work best http://www.google.ca...1t:429,r:0,s:46

like this one kind of. Then it has more surface area

May be use Sterilite containers. They are food safe :)

Thanks for the input. I will try to find something shallow and a little larger. I just don't have a lot of room for a big container, but I could put it outside when it gets warm.

I grow mine in a small fish bowl. I put some dirt in the bottom and a layer of gravel and planted ludwigia and rotala and they both took off. There are a few snails in there and they fertilize for me. It's doing so well that the ludwigia and rotala are begining to grow emersed. I have duckweed coming out of my ears.

I grow mine in a small fish bowl. I put some dirt in the bottom and a layer of gravel and planted ludwigia and rotala and they both took off. There are a few snails in there and they fertilize for me. It's doing so well that the ludwigia and rotala are begining to grow emersed. I have duckweed coming out of my ears.

nice! good to know this has worked for you :) I can't wait to have some duckweed available :D

I have duckweed growing in my bette tank, but I haven't grow enough to be a sustantial snack for the goldies. I added some to DD's glofish tank last week in hopes getting the algae there under control and getting enough for a snack.

This is also something I'm interested in - would a filter be needed in a tank with just plants and no livestock?

I don't plan on putting any fish in there, but perhaps a snail or two sounds like a good idea.

When you are ready to move your duckweed outside, this is excellent: http://www.homedepot...1&storeId=10051

One problem outside is that since duckweed floats, when it rains enough to overflow your tub, all the duckweed winds up on the ground. Either keep it under a roof, or make an overflow for the tub. The easiest way to do this is drill a hole in the side of the tub near the top and stick a piece of sponge in it so the water can go out but the duckweed can't.

When you are ready to move your duckweed outside, this is excellent: http://www.homedepot...1&storeId=10051

One problem outside is that since duckweed floats, when it rains enough to overflow your tub, all the duckweed winds up on the ground. Either keep it under a roof, or make an overflow for the tub. The easiest way to do this is drill a hole in the side of the tub near the top and stick a piece of sponge in it so the water can go out but the duckweed can't.

Perfect! Thank you Shakaho! :) And great idea regarding the drain hole. I am planning to put mosquito netting over the top of the container to keep unwanted inhabitants out.