Sign in to follow this  
Wango

New aquarium cycle

Hello there,

my goldfish (ryukin and oranda) have been in a small tank now and finally I have managed to buy a bigger tank for them.

I have a 4ft (length) fish tank now and I have started to cycle it.

I filled it up with water, added a sand substrate, put some new rocks in, set up the filter, air, heater etc.

I turned the heater up to about 85F, and I have added little bits of fish food into the tank to create ammonia, I put in some bogwood from my current aquarium to add some bacteria, I got the filter sponge from my current aquarium (i have two filters)

and squished the sponge all in the water and made it cloudy and murky filled with bacteria!

its day 3 now...what do I do next...when should I test for ammonia?

How do I test when the water is ready for my fish? do I just test the nitrate levels and Ph?

thanks

it would be easier if you take some of the media out of your old filter and put it into the new filter, it'll be a lot easier than cycling from scratch! squishing the old sponge into the new tank won't really make a difference, unless you go about it this way: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95549-seeding-a-filter/

to know when your tank is ready for your fish, you'll need to check all the params and have these: a pH between 7-8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate under 40 (but preferably under 20).

now that....is an idea!

My main filter has two sponges inside, a white one and a black one.

will it do any harm if i take out the black one and add it to my cyclying aquarium filter!?

it all makes sense now! thankyou!

How many liters/gallons is the new tank? What type of filter are you running? Is your old filter cycled?

If your old filter is cycled, I would suggest running the old filter and new filter on the new tank together. And add your fish right into the tank now, they will be better off in more water volume :) If your old filter has a stable cycle, your new tank should cycle in about a week or so. You may have a bit of a cycle bump and show some ammonia/nitrite so you will want to check your parameters daily and do a big (50-80% water change if the ammonia and nitrite begin to creep above .25 ppm. Once you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate reading you are cycled :)

Edited by tithra

this sounds immense!

I added my tank masurements to two different calculator sites, and they both gave me 127 litres.

I have two filters in my cycled tank, one which is a filter/sir pump...and the other just a basic filter, So if i put the basic filter into the cycling tank, it will cycle it much faster!?

also the new aquarium filter that is cycling is just a huge basic filter, pretty old, nothing special hehe

am i doing the correct thing by adding some fish food to the tank?

Edited by Wango

Great, that tank is perfect for two goldies.

Are your filters on the old tank cycled?

If they are, you can move them over to the new tank and you will get a pretty much instant cycle (you'll want to monitor parameters closely for awhile)

If your old filters are cycled I would move the old filters and the fish over to the new tank now (just match the old tank and new tank for temp and Ph).

I asked about what type of filters you have because you want to make sure your filters are doing 10x the tank volume in liters per hour. So, if the filter for the new tank does not run 1,270 lph, you will be better off keeping the filters from the old tank running permanently on the new one :)

Do you have a test kit and what sort is it ? Drops are far more accurate than strips. As Tithra mentioned your tank will be cycled when you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a positive reading for nitrate. There is a little bit more to it than that however, the test to determine if your tank is cycled is that your first lot of beneficial bacteria are able to turn a known amount of ammonia (anything between 2 and 4 ppm depending on how many fish you are adding and the tank size) into 0 in a 24 hour period. The second lot of beneficial bacteria should be able to turn your nitrite reading in to 0 in the same time frame giving you a nitrate reading. Then you do a large water change and only at this point can you add your fish. You might want to keep a log so we can offer any help should something go awry. It's much easier to figure out what has happened if you have daily readings recorded.

Great, that tank is perfect for two goldies.

Are your filters on the old tank cycled?

If they are, you can move them over to the new tank and you will get a pretty much instant cycle (you'll want to monitor parameters closely for awhile)

If your old filters are cycled I would move the old filters and the fish over to the new tank now (just match the old tank and new tank for temp and Ph).

I asked about what type of filters you have because you want to make sure your filters are doing 10x the tank volume in liters per hour. So, if the filter for the new tank does not run 1,270 lph, you will be better off keeping the filters from the old tank running permanently on the new one :)

There are only 2 filters in the UK that are capable of doing that kind of turnover on their own. The Fluval FX5 (£374) and the Eheim 2080 (£510), for a tank of 120 litres and bigger unless you plan on buying one of the these filters you are going to need multiple filters to get the 10 times filtration. It is possible that the EX2400 (£314) might just manage this but i wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by alistairw

The test kit I have is the interpet 'easy test'..it includes ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph...the test uses tablets dropped into the vial thing, is this any good?...the problem is I have lost the colour chart, but the colour chart pics online should work too or?

hmm I have no idea about the Interpet stuff, but I think you'd be better off getting the API Freshwater Master Kit. it's proper accurate and very simple to use!

I have never used that test kit. Online charts will be just as good as the real thing. It might be worthwhile testing your water for ammonia and then having a local fish store test the same water and compare readings. All the fish stores near me use drops.

Hmm, interesting. by the way, on day 1 i put some fish food in, its day 4 tomorow, when can i expect to get some ammonia readings?

is there any other foods that i could put into the water that would cause ammonia?

Ok guys, I just done a test, and I have got the results.

the ammonia test came out dark yellow, which on the colour chart points to 0.25 to .50...Im thinking maybe its too low? but...

in the nitrate test i done also, it is the colour of strawberry juice, medium coloured red, which on the colour chart points to 40 to 80...the colour is 160,

but it is not as dark as that.

So is everything going alright? how can i have this much nitrate when i dont have much ammonia? i am confused.

Also, my PH is kind of light blue colour, on the chart it says the Ph at this colour is 7.1 to 7.5!!

is this good or bad for fgoldfish?

Edited by Wango

Ammonia should be 0 for a cycled tank. nitrates should stay below 20-30 PPM. So in your case your close but I would do a water change. Nirates at 40 to 80 are to high and can cause problems later.

Your ph is right on target :thumb:

Epic thanks!!

should i do a large water change?

I would do a 40-50% water change :thumb:

Done hehehe...i will test again tomorow xD thanks i am damnnnn exited!

Awesome your doing good :thumb:

Let me know the test results :)

Just got the tests!! Ph is 7.0 - 7.5

Ammonia is 0!!!

nitrate is 10!!!

7.0 - 7.5? that is quite a broad range... is it possible for you to get a more accurate result? 7.0 is on the low side of acceptable really.

I guess...its ready now?...the Ph i done again and it is 7.5 :D

because the test colour was darkest blue!

phlowhighrange2.jpg

Edited by Wango

is it ready yet? :'(

Lol. What are your parameter measurements? :)

If ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and you have some nitrate reading, then yes, you should be good to go.

I would still recommend moving your old filters to the new tank and running all of them on the new tank. Based on what Alistair said, it sounds like you will need all the filters you have running to get enough filtration on the new tank. This will also help you to maintain a stable cycle.

I would check you water parameters daily for at least the first week when you add the fish. It is possible that you will have a cycle bump because of the amount of ammonia your fish produce may be higher, as compared to the amount of ammonia the fish food you have been adding produces. So, you may get an ammonia reading at first, don't worry, just do water changes if you see ammonia/nitrite, your cycle will catch up :)

EDIT: posted at the same time as Alex, it would be good to know your nitrite (you listed ammonia as 0 and I see you have some nitrate readings)

Edited by tithra