My fish is floating at the surface! :(

NatalieD

He's floating again.

I don't understand why as nothing has changed... We've not fed him but he started gulping at the surface again and now he's just floating at the top. I'm guessing he's swallowed a load of air again. Should I hold off feeding him a little longer or do you think he's "eating" air because he's hungry and uncomfortable?

Poor fishy, he was fine an hour or so ago and now he's floating again...

He's floating again.

I don't understand why as nothing has changed... We've not fed him but he started gulping at the surface again and now he's just floating at the top. I'm guessing he's swallowed a load of air again. Should I hold off feeding him a little longer or do you think he's "eating" air because he's hungry and uncomfortable?

Poor fishy, he was fine an hour or so ago and now he's floating again...

Will you post your parameters again? (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

Hi guys,

I've just fed them some spinach and they seemed to like it. However on closer inspection 10 minutes or so later I saw lots of bits of spinach all over the place, guess they chewed it up and spat it back out again...

I've been noticing that he seems to be "yawning" quite a lot. Could it be that potentially he's not getting enough oxygen and that's why he's gasping and taking in bubbles? We've turned our bubble block up just in case and we'll see how that goes...

Whatever the case he seems much better again! He doesn't seem to want to settle on either being fine again or being floaty! I'll keep checking on him but as of this moment, he's doing fine again!

Who new fish keeping could be such a rollercoaster! I'll update you with params in the morning, we've just done another water change so it probably won't be representative at the moment. But there doesn't seem to be a problem any more! Fingers crossed this new diet and increased aeration will do the trick!

Edited by NatalieD

You might want to consider treating for flukes (based on your history it looks as though you have not yet). Typical QT procedure recommended here whenever you get new fish is to treat for flukes with prazipro. Flukes could potentially cause the yawning behavior you are seeing (doesn't account for the floatiness though).

I don't believe you folks in the UK have access to prazipro, but kusuri wormer plus or fluke solve are alternative treatments you can use: http://www.kokosgold...s-have-arrived/

If you get one of these we can help walk you though treatment :)

They are gentle meds and one of the few things that is recommended for prophylactic use :)

EDIT: make sure you blanch the spinach until it is quite soft before you feed it :) They may have eaten some of it, my fish make a mess with lettuce/spinach because they will tear off pieces that are bigger than they can chew sometimes.

Edited by tithra

I've just bought those meds, and will start a treatment for flukes as soon as they arrive! He's still doing much better! He's had some parsley this evening and seemed to enjoy it! I;ll let you know when the meds arrive! Thanks for all your help!

Hi all, very positive news!

He seems to be back to normal and perfect again! We got them a food clip and they love it! It's brilliant, I wish we had got one before now! Here is a picture of Hugo, all better and closing in on his dinner!

IMG_5739.jpg

We also got our meds in the post! We got the Wormer-plus and Fluke solve, from here. Which do you think is best for us to go with for a general treatment? He's not really showing much signs of flukes but I think I would still like to treat them both just in case. They have never been treated with this before and i've never done it either so i'm not to sure how to adminiter it properly. Any help would be appreciated!

But I would like to say thank you all very much for your help with Hugo! I'm sure he thanks you too! :)

Go with Fluke-Solve and 0.1% salt. You'll need to dissolve the Fluke-Solve really well, and this I understand can be quite a task, as these powders sometimes take a while :)