Cycle Crahsed like it was nobody's business

yaapp

On the 15th, I got my canister Eheim 2217, I transferred my media from my Aquaclear 70 to the canister and the water was fine for a couple of days, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate.

On the 22nd, I checked my water for the heck of it and I ended up having .25 ammonia, .5 nitrite, 20ish nitrate.

Today I check the water, it was at .25 ammonia. 2-5 nitrite, 40-80 nitrate.

YAAAPPPPPP.jpg

So I did a 90% change and ended up getting .25 ammonia, .25 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate

2 hours later I did a 25% change for the heck of it

Question is:

What shall I do next?

And when I do that, what should I have for lunch (considering I won't read this till tomorrow because I am about to crash....to sleep)

Edit: Failed for typing too fast and switching the S and H in "Crashed"

Edited by yaapp

YAPP

What else to do though

Check parameters daily, and make Prime your best friend, along with water changes. I think the additional media will help.

Did you end up with only the Eheim and no more AC70?

Though I should say that the fish are fine and are acting like nothing is happening...other than me about to dump new water into the tank everyday for a while....

WTB Freebirds in the Bay Area

I think the crash came from overfeeding since I am trying to figure out a good meal for the 3 stooges. Is there anything else that can cause the crash?

Oh something else, I normally had a pH7.4-7.6, now it's 7.0, anything to be worried about there?

Your system ran out of buffer. You need to and carbonates to the system regularly. Baking soda, aragonite crushed corals or commercial buffers.

The bacteria should still be in your media they just need to be fed buffer and the cycle should get back to normal.

After a feeding the pH could be dropping even lower and slowly drifting back up over time.

Best fishes

David

Www....................com

Your system ran out of buffer. You need to and carbonates to the system regularly. Baking soda, aragonite crushed corals or commercial buffers.

I agree, because you can see that the pH has dropped by about half a log. Do you know the kH of your tap water? I use Seachem's Gold Buffer, but since you do have some space in the filter, you might want to try the crushed corals first, since that doesn't involve much maintenance.

I would still get some media from Kulukan just to get things up and running again. I don't think you've had a die off, but since you are adding bio-load, it's good to have extras since that choice is available to you.

I only have less than a handful of crushed coral that I transferred to my Eheim from the AQ70.

How much baking soda should I put in? And is there a special way of putting it in?

How big is your tank again? I would just add a 1/2 teaspoon and then check in about 15 minutes to see what the pH is. If it's around 7.4, then leave it alone. You'll need to check tomorrow morning and night to see it holds.

It may be that the crushed coral is releasing too slowly, and you may need to add more to the system, or use a commercial buffer, or baking soda. :)

Edit: I don't like adding powders to my tank, so I always dissolve it first in some tank water, and then add it to the tank.

Edited by dnalex