Sign in to follow this  
paw-paw

When can I move them to a pond

Hi!

We build a new small pond in our garden. It is only 1000 liters, that is approx 264 gallons. I would like to move 4 of my tank goldies into this new pond as I would like to cut back on the number of aquariums I keep. I know 264 gallons is quite small for a pond but I think it would is fine for 4 goldies?

There are 2 commons, 1 oranda and 1 fantail (all petshop qualiyt so the fancies aren't too drastic and can swimm well).

When can I move them to my new pond. I know it has to be cycled but I am wondering about temperature range? Is it too soon to transfer them out now? I know the nights are still very cold but the day temperatures get to 15C already...

Also would those fancies survive the winter (it gets to freezing temperatures here so the water freezes)? But there will be silt on the bottom so they can hibernate like normal goldies.

I already have a pond with commons and comets and they seem to be waking up...

Thanks

4 goldfish in that size pond is great :)

How cold does it get at night? If I were go, I would wait until well into spring before introducing them outside :)

What matters is the water temperature of the water. How deep is your pond? That is important is temperature stability. You should wait until the pond water is 16 C before you move house fish into the pond. That's a nice big pond.

Fantails do almost as well as pond-type goldies in the winter pond. I wouldn't try to keep other fancies under ice, but they'll be fine for the rest of the year..

Ok, THX...

I gues I will have to wait some more than as the water emperature now is 12 C (measured this morning)...