I want to cry

goldygal

I want to just cry.. I took a chance bought what I thought was a very beautiful young chocolate oranda. This was in Nov of 2011 so not that long ago. This fish has grown so fast so big and so ugly I want to just die. We came home in Jan from Hawaii and it was such a nice deep dark chocolate with a touch of white on the very under belly. No gold, orange showing anywhere, I thought I hit the jackpot. Well 2 weeks after we were home from holidays I notices some changing taking place. Everyday it is getting worse. The wen is just about completely orange nice growth but its orange :-( almost all of the body is just about a white with some gold but the fins are very very dark still and so is the tail very dark. Everyone comments "is that fish okay" my reply. Ya it was my treasure or so I thought.

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to look like. I don't know if I will keep this fish in the end. Its quite aggressive in its moves and his quite the bully towards my red caps that I have had longer.

I would post a pic but this fish is insane, I cannot get a clear pic of it as its always on the move.

Perhaps you can upload a video...

In any case, from your description, the fish sounds spunky and cool. Most likely something I would totally love to have.

It's always been the general advice of this forum to pick a goldfish less for his/her colors, and more for shape, personality, etc. Goldfish are notorious for changing colors, and chocolate/black/blue especially so.

I'm sorry for your disappointment.

Goldfish are notorious for changing colors. It can be disappointing. I agree that it sounds like your fish still is changing. Maybe he needs more time to show is full potential.

I bought Harry Potter for his black lightning bolt, but that's long gone. I still love him though. He's a cute little spitfire. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Supporter

welcome to everyone's problem who chooses for colour.. i am not exempt from this either.. for example:

eeerm.. SOOTY!! did you forget you are supposed to be a BLACK TELESCOPE?!!?!?!???!?!

this happens to be the most ridiculous wardrobe change i have EVER seen!

7ecffef5.jpg

welcome to everyone's problem who chooses for colour.. i am not exempt from this either.. for example:

eeerm.. SOOTY!! did you forget you are supposed to be a BLACK TELESCOPE?!!?!?!???!?!

this happens to be the most ridiculous wardrobe change i have EVER seen!

7ecffef5.jpg

both of my black moors went through that same colour change :). Shadow was perfectly black for 5-6 years then all of a sudden within about 2 months turned 75% orange, 10% silver, and maybe 15% black lol. he passed away a little while ago unfortunately. My other black moor is also now orange/black/silver

• Supporter

lol.. sooty is famous for his army style camouflage wardrobe change.. i shall inform him of all the approval received.. his friend "mavros" is going through a similar change.. started with one white nostril and now this:

4609b03c.jpg

Ya I know what you all mean and I knew it was a huge gamble to boot. I thought I would just luck out. If my oranda looked half as good as your telescope I would be very happy. I guess it will be a wait and see what the ugly duckling will change into. Its a very boistrous fish compared to the other 3, they are so pleasing to watch int he tank this one is insane.

Okay, I hope these work. I appologize for the really crappy pics with glare and not clear as this fish will not stay still for a min. There is a pic when I first bought it, I did not get a pic for inbetween that shows it at its darkest but if you look at the tail now, that what the color of this fish 4 weeks ago the whole body was that dark color.

th_chocolate1.jpgth_chocolate2.jpgth_chocolate.jpgth_chocolate3.jpg

oh my gosh! I have to tell you that he is even more gorgeous now than when you first got him!! I am super jealous, I am hoping my bronze oranda will go through a color change like that at some point. He really is truly beautiful and not ugly at all! And it looks like you have fattened him up nicely :)

The colour changing thing can certainly be frustrating!

All I want in the world is a panda and tri-colour (of any fancy variety really) who keep their colours. It might be a long wait. :)

Some fish can look kind of 'messy' when in transition. You never know how gorgeous that fish might be when it's done the change!

Thanks all for the replies. I will just be patient and see how he/she turns out, would be kind of neat if those dark fins and tail stay dark that would make me happy. I will post more pics in about a month for comparison and see the change.

Okay, I hope these work. I appologize for the really crappy pics with glare and not clear as this fish will not stay still for a min. There is a pic when I first bought it, I did not get a pic for inbetween that shows it at its darkest but if you look at the tail now, that what the color of this fish 4 weeks ago the whole body was that dark color.

th_chocolate1.jpgth_chocolate2.jpgth_chocolate.jpgth_chocolate3.jpg

Where's the ugly fish??? :hmm

chocolate3.jpg

I really don't see the problem here. He is in the middle of changing, far from done. Most likely he will turn fully orange. It might take a while, but that's what it looks like to me. He's beautiful either way, has a very nice shape, fins and wen. :)

Do any of you know how to sex orandas? Is there anything to due with their size or is it just the bumps on the gills?

The look of the vent is also a hint, but only in adult fish. Males have an "innie" and females and "outie". The size doesn't tell. Females are often rounder than males (viewed from above) but without a male of the same age and size and possibly from the same parents, the difference will be hard to tell, considered each fish is different.

One thing that I have noticed with my fish though is that when viewed from above, the female's abdomen is less symmetrical than the male's.