Sign in to follow this  
Guest LASTROYVENDOX

Salt

Guest LASTROYVENDOX

how may water changes do I need to do in order to get the salt out of my tank. I treated my tank to .15% salt when I had a sick fish. My fish died and Now I am working on getting my tank ready for a new fish. I have done 2 - 50% changes since my fish died.

If you've changed out the entire gallonage of the tank, any salt you added is likely removed. 0.15% is a very low amount of salt, and after 2 50% water changes, it's been dilluted to the point that, if it isn't entirely out, it is not worth bothering yourself with.

If you lost fish out of this tank, though, you really should disinfect it and all the equipment before adding any more fish. You don't want your new fishies getting whatever the last one had.

Good luck.

Guest LASTROYVENDOX

how do you disinfect a tank?my fish died a week ago and I did 2 water changes and have been running my filter. I have 2 bio wheels running thats it.

You can either use bleach in a 1:9 bleach:water solution, or use potassium permanganate - enough to turn the water dark purple. PP is "safer", meaning the residue left won't kill your fish, but I prefer to use bleach because it doesn't stain things like PP can - in fact it cleans them up like new!

If you want to save your cycle, take your biowheels and submerge them in a container with an airstone running. It will take some ingenuity to get those things submerged. You need to keep them moist, but with adequate oxygen available (so no submersion in stagnant water).

Put your filters (without the filter cartridges - toss those) back on the tank. Depending on what you have in the way of tank decor, you could leave that in there, too. Fill the tank with the mix of water and whichever disinfecting agent you use, then leave it to run for 1-4 days, drain, rinse well, and then fill the tank and add dechlorinator at a few times its suggested doseage (if you use bleach to disinfect). If you use bleach, you want the bleach smell GONE before you put fish in there. Dechlorinator helps, so will air-drying. If you use PP, you don't have to worry about rinsing the tank so well, but you probably will want to clean up the brown stains left on some things. Hydrogen peroxide works pretty well for this on most things.

What exactly did your fish die of, and how long had it been since the last new addition when they passed? If there's a post you can link me to, that'd save you the explaining.

Good luck.

I popped into this thread to check on you, and it appears the board ate my last message.

It said basically this:

Ich is not always in the water. It is a common parasite, but it is not ever present.

Dropsy is a symptom, and not a disease in and of itself. Being a symptom, it is not contagious, but whatever caused it might be. Dropsy can be caused by simple things such as water conditions, or more serious things like parasites. Since you do not know what caused the symptoms in your fish, disinfecting the tank is a good idea.

Any time you lose fish, especially more than one fish, that is a sign something is wrong within your tank, and it is wise to disinfect. If you don't, you're taking a risk that whatever killed off the other fish could be lingering in the tank, and will affect your new fish as well. Why not start clean?

Using feeders is a poor way of cycling the tank. Comets (i.e. feeders) can grow easily 10" long, so if you plan on keeping them, you'll need quite a bit of space. Aside from that, though, feeder fish are often infested with disease, which they will add to your tank. Even if you remove the feeders before you add your "real" fish, the pathogens will be in the tank, and affect your new fish.

Please reconsider disinfecting this tank.