Had him for a while, but always wondered...

Mollie

... is he a cross between something?

gambi.jpg

His top fin has always been short like that. And its hard to tell in the picture, but his red head is a little squishy looking, like a very flat wen. I'm leaning towards a ranchu/ryukin mix but I really have no clue.

Any other guesses? ;)

Edited by Dreamcatcher

Other than the short dorsal, gambit looks like a very pretty fantail to me :)

Wen can grow on any fish...this feature has been selected for in orandas, ranchus, and lionheads (some pearlscales), but you can see a tad bit of wen on other goldfish, especially when they get older.

Edited by dnalex

Other than the short dorsal, gambit looks like a very pretty fantail to me :)

Wen can grow on any fish...this feature has been selected for in orandas, ranchus, and lionheads (some pearlscales), but you can see a tad bit of wen on other goldfish, especially when they get older.

aw thanks. (:

I can see him being a fantail. His tail has grown so much since I first got him and his "hump" has stayed about the same.That's interesting about the wens too! I didnt know it could grow on any type.

looks ryukin to me. due to the bump above his head and the shape of his head

I'm thinking ryukin. I'm not to sure if the fins are from something different or not.

Yeah he was actually sold as a ryukin, I think his fin is just what throws me.

I don't know, but he's pretty. :)

awh thanks! hes got a sweet personality too, he is the only one that will eat out of my hands.

Edited by Dreamcatcher

i vote stunted veiltail ryukin.. your fish reminded me of my dear sweet Amico:

Dsc_1076.jpg

Oh yeah? What made you say stunted? Is there a way to tell?

And aww amico is beautiful. He does look a lot like zumie. I'm sorry he passed on. :(

Edited by Dreamcatcher

size of the eye compared to that of his head.. amico above, she's stunted.. approx a 4" body and approx a 3" tail age 5.5 years old.. these sizes for this age indicates stunting.

ohh okay, good to know! well I dont mind that they are stunted. I got gambit when he was that body size, but it seems that his tail has grown a lot. Do the tails still grow even though the body can be stunted? I really need to research that topic more. I know very little about it all.

haha sorry i just reread your post, I thought you were saying that she was a past goldie. ahaha ><;; she's very pretty though! where did you find her at?

• Supporter

size of the eye compared to that of his head.. amico above, she's stunted.. approx a 4" body and approx a 3" tail age 5.5 years old.. these sizes for this age indicates stunting.

ohh okay, good to know! well I dont mind that they are stunted. I got gambit when he was that body size, but it seems that his tail has grown a lot. Do the tails still grow even though the body can be stunted? I really need to research that topic more. I know very little about it all.

haha sorry i just reread your post, I thought you were saying that she was a past goldie. ahaha ><;; she's very pretty though! where did you find her at?

shhhhh! she is a past goldie :( unfortunately passed on from unrelated issues. i scored her from an LFS here in Australia for about $1AUD.. she was so pretty :heart thank you for the compliment.. i still have her tankmate :)

to answer your question, yes, i believe they still grow somewhat in body and in tail.. for instance, after 3 years of my keeping them in horrible conditions, once they grew to a certain point, they stopped growing.. then i got the 66 gallons. both Amico and Rocky doubled in size.. but they did not grow much more than that. i don't believe after the second growth spurt that Amico grew any more either in body or tail lenght. i hope this answers your question :)

shhhhh! she is a past goldie :( unfortunately passed on from unrelated issues. i scored her from an LFS here in Australia for about $1AUD.. she was so pretty :heart thank you for the compliment.. i still have her tankmate :)

to answer your question, yes, i believe they still grow somewhat in body and in tail.. for instance, after 3 years of my keeping them in horrible conditions, once they grew to a certain point, they stopped growing.. then i got the 66 gallons. both Amico and Rocky doubled in size.. but they did not grow much more than that. i don't believe after the second growth spurt that Amico grew any more either in body or tail lenght. i hope this answers your question :)

oh I'm so sorry! :( but i'm glad you still have her tankmate and everything, thats a sweet way to be reminded of her when you look in the tank.

and yes it does! thanks so much for answering my questions. I just upgraded the two into a 45 gallon from a 26 gallon, and bought a new bag of pro gold, so it'll be interesting to see if they have a growth spurt at all. :)

I'd call it a ribbon tail fantail with a shark fin dorsal.

A vieltail's tail is not forked, trailing edge of the tail fin is a straight line connecting the tips with fin not a v like on this fish.

Edited by Ichthius

• 2 weeks later...