Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Many low light plants feed on what?

so i guess i was pretty excited when i ordered my low light plants because my tank looks great now. Its 55 gallons with a decent amount of low light plants planted in the moon sand.

My question is: there is only one large fish in there, the plants eat some of the nitrates but will he be prodicing enough? do they get nutrients from the lights too?

If i use fertilizer, can you suggest something that can be found at big chain stores or order online?

i did try to search but came up almost findingmy answer

The great semi-lfs gave me a dosing chart! They say to give Flourish twice per week, and Flourish Iron and Flourish Excel daily. The Flourish and Flourish Excel are sold at Petsmart, but I don't recall seeing the iron there. But I didn't look. They say that the ferts will help the plants grow more quickly so that they will suck up the nutrients needed by algae.

ok great. i really want these plants to flourish, my tank looks great right now. I know i am supposed to take the potted ones out of the pot but i can still use those metal weights that are on some of them right?

The metal ties are not ideal, but I admit that I use one.

Some plants like crypts and swords take up nutrients from the substrate more than from the water column. If you have those, you may need to use some kind of root tabs in the sand.

I put 1/2 a root tab in the gravel near my crypt and swords once a month, in addition to the dosing that Shawnee suggested.

It seems to help, they are both growing new leaves since i started the root tabs. Most pet stores sell them.

Look forward to seeing your plants.

mj

I only use excel and over feed some for the plants.

I never feed my plants, even though I have ferts. Then again I have a lot more fish to help.

i plan on having 5 fish in here so they will help also. i didnt get any crypts or swords except for a few from petcop. But i think bleaching them hurt them.