Sign in to follow this  
liberty

Line breeding Goldfish

OK I know the parents of my fry as I picked them ive recorded when they have hatched when they were spawned even there future mate.

I just want to know does any one else do this if so how far back have some of you recorded and any advie on how to do a dood job of documenting all of this better

What is your goal?

What are the parents?

(null)

its just that i have rare coloured Large sized fish im also experimenting with breeding diffrent types togeather to see what i get

You'll likely get a bunch of mutts and never recover the rare color or if you do it will be in a couple generations o carefully select crosses and many of them.

Rare phenotypes take many genes lining up just right. By outcrossing to a different phenotype it will likely be lost in the soup we call goldfish genetics.

You are also undoing a lot of line breeding by doing unrelated crosses.

Edited by Ichthius

hi fishyowner, and welcome the the small world of fish breeding. David speaks true. If you meddle too much you will set back years . but ofcourse depends upon what is your goal? I line breed my fish and only mix for specific objectives. records keeping is most helpful pluss many tanks and afew ponds. .

Let's see some fish. We might be able to suggest the most likely to succeed crosses.

One cross to always avoid is a red or red and white metallic to a calico. The metallic line will kill the black in the offspring and the calico will kill the metallic so you end up with a bunch of Sakura (calicos that loose their black).

Sorry i do not have any pics of the fry but they are sarrsa comet fantail cross they have the body of a fan tail but the long tail of there dad

I only own Fantails shubys And comets

Your best crosses would be comet to comet and you get more comets and the calico fan to the blue whih in theory should give you 50% calico an 50% brown, blue or ? Metallics.

sadly the two fans are girls and i can't do that but what about blue and a cholate fantail would thoose be nice.

the only females have a fantail

i also own four shubbys a blue calico and Two orange and black calicos and grey and blue but im unsoure of there gender at the moment

Any good combos there of fantail Shubby or comet shubby

im breeding for traits It seems to be working i was breeding for Daddies beautiful nearly veil tail tail and mommy big round body then they will be breed back to a fan tail

Also some will breed back into comets will nice tails.

Edited by Fishy owner

Try to reed like with like as much as possible remembering what I said about decolored metallics ad calico. So a cross of your calico fan would be best to a shubunkin than a Sarassa.

If you really want to breed something i would invest in the best 6 or 12 fish you can find or afford. I know fish are hard to get in NZ.

Yeah but i have 3 good boys who are beautiful and a $40 matte shubby and 2 metallics but im not really planibg to breed them becaise once i got home they have faults and a bueatiful orange and black shubby girl.

Yeah but i manged to get and a beautiful Boy 5 years ago no faults payed $120 for him at a breeder and to younger boys who cost me $65 at 6 months old but i can't find any quailty girls i only have one comfirmed girl but she not nice to look lol but what do u think i could do with a Choclate most likly girl fantail and the matte Shubby

can u also give me some advice on choosing fish and what to look for

First thing is breed the best fish you have even if you are looking for better fish. There are always better fish out there so don't let that stop you from working with what you've got. All fish have faults and there is tons to learn about raising and culling fry. Fish with faults will produce fish without those faults.

Study the standards of the fish you want to breed or better just learn what you like in a fish so you can find te good fry.

Set up larger rearing facilities so you can grow out more fish while you refine your culling skills. Then as you get better at sorting you can raise fewer and fewer fish with better results.

One cross to always avoid is a red or red and white metallic to a calico. The metallic line will kill the black in the offspring and the calico will kill the metallic so you end up with a bunch of Sakura (calicos that loose their black).

Are you picking on my accidental fry??

Just kidding :lol

(I like sakura comets.)

lol

I have many ponds and tanks dedicated to babbies what sort of filter do you revomend for fry i just have have a air stone and a cheap filter i bought and modifyed