Sign in to follow this  
Monkey87

nerite snail eggs!

hey guys... i hope you aren't tired of me yet!!! LOL but i was wondering about my nerite snails and their eggs! now i know that nerite snails will lay eggs regardless of it is a freshwater tank or not! but they need to be in brackish water for the eggs to hatch!! right? right!! :) but i was wondering... is it bad to just leave the eggs on the driftwood n rocks?? can they become rotten? or cause a water quality problem if just left there? they don't bug me at all but if they cause a problem or will cause a problem in the future i will remove them at once! thanks a lot guys!! let me know...

My understanding is that you can just leave them. As long as you're doing WC you should be fine. I've never had trouble. You never know, every once in a while one will hatch. That's what I have read any way.

My understanding is that you can just leave them. As long as you're doing WC you should be fine. I've never had trouble. You never know, every once in a while one will hatch. That's what I have read any way.

hmmm.... that would be cool... but i doubt it... :carrot:

That's what I read too. :)

Do the goldfish eat them? I have been considering one of these snails for algae on my plants, but the idea of the eggs kind of freaks me out.

I would think goldfish eat them.

If they are not fertilized, and the fish don't eat them, you will probably soon see some fuzz grow on them. In that case just remove them.

Do the goldfish eat them? I have been considering one of these snails for algae on my plants, but the idea of the eggs kind of freaks me out.

I think that they lay less eggs as they get older. Mine lyed a bunch one time and haven't layed any since. They just look like little white dots, they don't lay clutches of eggs like other snails. They don't get fuzzy either.

yeah they have been there for some time.. and they have not gotten fuzzy... the goldfish dont eat them.. not that i have ever seen.. if i feel the need.. i guess i will remove them at that point..

I had to remove them from the 30L tank with a razor blade because they were annoying me ;) lol but other wise they did not get eaten nor fuzzy ;)