Sign in to follow this  
Smiley_Fish

Snails?

I am thinking about buying a snail to help keep the tank clean. Does it matter what kind of snails to buy, will just the usually kind at the pet store do? If not, I guess I will just try to find an apple snail.

Keeping clean how? If you have a lot of algae growing, a snail will probably not keep it sparkly clean. They will eat some, but not all. Additionally, apple and mystery snails produce a ton of waste, actually adding to the waste load in the tank.

I personally would rather go with a small sized pleco if you have the room, like a bristlenose or rubberlip. They also add to the bioload, but usually do an amazing job keeping the tank algae free :)

My tank isn't that dirty that the walls are green or anything like that. My guy does a pretty good job, but i wanted to get him another partner to help maintain the condition and for company. I had no idea that snails were so dirty :wacko: . I'll see if I can find one of those two types of pleco's around. Thanks for the info.

I have red ramshorn snails in my tanks. As Fang says they don't keep the glass spotless, but I find them great for cleaning ornaments, and especially plants. My snails don't eat the plants, which is great and they're very entertaining to watch zooming along the glass. :D They're much smaller than the mystery/apple snails, so not so much waste.

Plus they breed like mad and the fish love eating the babies/eggs.

I have two zebra nerite snails in my goldie tank, because just one was taking too much time to clean the ornaments haha. it's true they don't make thing spotless but they do help with the cleaning, and every little helps! ;) nerites don't breed unless in brackish water, so there's no worry about baby nerites all over the place.

My nerite snails are eating algae like crazy. Fortunately, I'm having an algae problem now, so I'm making plenty for them to eat. The horned variety stays small, and they don't reproduce in freshwater. They are cool -- I'm really liking them.

I've got nerites as well... but recommend getting a lot more then one or 2.... i have 7 in my goldie tank (46 gallon) n definitely need more :) when all is said and done i will probably have around 14 snails! and no need to worry about breeding b/c as someone said they need brackish water for eggs to hatch :)

Edited by Monkey87

Thanks everybody!!! I will definately see if I can find any of the snails you talked about, otherwise i will look for one of the good plecos. I'll keep you posted :D

make sure if u get a pleco it is the SMALL species because i know some species can easily outgrow your tank and be a foot long!!! :no: