Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Afraid of light- Stewart and Bruce

So most of you know the nightmare that took place in my tank and killed most of my fish except for 2, Stewart and Bruce. Since then they have been ok, but when i turn on the light in the tank, they go nuts, swimming all over running into things. Especially, Stewart who is the comet.

We came to the conclusion that the sickness they had/have was flukes, possibly all over the body.

They are in the 30 gallon tank right now, just the two of them. They eat, but dont swim to the top like usual, so i am assuming they are still recovering. Is this a normal reaction to fluke treatment? Why are they freaking out with lights? they bottom sit a lot under the fake plants in there but will occasionally eat the metro meds i serve.

Also, both of them have some black marks on their rear (caudial?) fins, like someoen drew a line with black marker. It could be ammonia burn, but i have not seen any ammonia readings in any tank they have been in.

Tank History: Been running about 7 months or so but when i put them in there, it was with new water and a new filter, so its kind of a fresh tank. They have had 2 doses of prazi and i had .1% salt for 2-3 weeks but i took out about 75% of that with the last water change. the longest they have gone in here without a water change is 3 days because of the prazi.

the water is cloudy, but that happens when i use salt and or prazi...

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) about 8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) about 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? about 68F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons. Running about 7 months but their filter and medai is new
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? terta whisper 45
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? right now 75% every 3 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 day ago, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, stewart and Bruce. Both about 3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? amquel plus
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? now metro meds and a little pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yes them
  • * Any medications added to the tank? metro meds, prazi, salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes black lins on fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting. Not as hungary as usual and they spaz out with lights.

i think your tank is not even cycled yet...and your fish look stressed out...gonna wait for the experts to weigh in on this though.. do you have any other fish in there with them??between 0:05 and 0:10... it looks like something small is swimming around them..??!

One thing I would like to help with. Your temp, Its on the lower end. Meaning the cycle will take longer and the fish get really sluggish at that temp.

See if you can bump it up to the 74F mark. :)

i am treating this more as a temporary tank, a quarentine tank. There are no other fish in there. My main tank is the same temp with no issues. I dont plan on leaving the tank set up and i am not too concerend with it getting cycled. The fish are stressed, yes but i have had Bruce for over a year and Stewart since september. Never before have they been afraid of light.

I dont think ammonia is affecting them because i have 2 ammonia drop test kits and they both say zero readings...

Koko, are you saying raise the temp because of the treatment i am giving? or just in general?

Both hun. :) Helps in both :)

the heater i have does not seem to have a control switch so it will probably bring it up to 80F. Wouldnt that make them sluggish? Im sorry i just thougt that 70F was ideal temperture to keep fancies in...

What kinda heater is it?

Ok thats a scary heater but it did say it will heat it to 78F. When you did turn it on before did it get to 80F and if so does this tank have a glass lid to it?

The reason I say its scary is cause, I like to have a heater with a dial :thumb:

the tank has one of those hoods that come in the package. It might have been 78-80, sometimes my eyes are bad but i will try again tonight. I typically do not have heaters in my goldfish tanks

Keeping the temp up in the 75-78F range does really help the Fancy typed goldfish. Also helps keep the bio bugs going. When the temp gets lower, the hard it is for the bio bugs to reproduce. :(

Ok so if your heater gets to 80F, try to crack open the lid alittle to let some heat out. :thumb:

wow. how did i not know this?!?!?! this seems like such a simple thing, temperature. now i need a heater for the main tank...

What heater would you recommend for my 55 gallon?

Edited by Midnight

I love these heaters. they show a green light when on and a red light when off. this way you know the heater is plugged in :thumb:

Its got a nice dial and easy to read and turn :)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4282556

I found to always use a heater that is one up from what the manufactures say, this way the heater doesnt have to work as hard. :thumb:

So I would go with the 200 watt.

ok thank you. i can get that one from the lfs. Right now i am using the tetra in this tank.

Do you think that this behavior is beacause they are being treated with prazi but it is not working due to the temp? This is my first battle with flukes

Did you salt dip them? Peaches still is in QT also, and he is terrified of me since the salt dips. He mostly hides and he darts around. It could be something else, I suppose (in Peaches), but it looks like hiding and seeking escape to me. Your guys and Peaches have had a similar experience recently, so maybe it's the same reaction. :(

no salt dips for about a week or so? Maybe 5 days i cant remember.

Right now its looking worse... Bruce is bottom sitting and stewart is up top spazzing out. swimming back the way he was last week during this mess. Should i add salt back in? i am in panic mode again... I thought this mess was over

FML

Daniel, try a tonic dose of salt...either 0.05% or 0.1% max.

hey man i can't see too closely but is there something wrong with there fins?? fraying or dark spots or streaks? .. are you sure your ammo readings are 0?? and other params too??

i think your tank is not even cycled yet...and your fish look stressed out...gonna wait for the experts to weigh in on this though.. do you have any other fish in there with them??between 0:05 and 0:10... it looks like something small is swimming around them..??!

I'm pretty sure that was a water spot on the glass, and he was moving the camera, the spot wasn't moving...

whats a tonic dose? you mean regular salting .1%=10 teaspoons per gallon?

And yes there seems to be black streaks on the fins. Have not seen ammonia reading in over 6 months in any tank they have been in. i even bought another test kit to be sure

whats a tonic dose? you mean regular salting .1%=10 teaspoons per gallon?

And yes there seems to be black streaks on the fins. Have not seen ammonia reading in over 6 months in any tank they have been in. i even bought another test kit to be sure

Tonic doses are not anti-microbial, but more to promote healing, easier fluid regulation, and slime coat growth.

0.1% = 1 teaspoon per gallon. You could even do 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in this case.

The black marks could have come from the salt dips.

oh and this behavior changed with heat. the tank is 77F could this be speeding up the process?

May I ask why the heat is at 77, or is that just the house temp?

the thing is that black streaks on their fins is almost always from ammonia burn.... i don't know what else to tell you... unless the black has ALWAYS been there... then it is just part of there colour.. but it sure looks like ammo burn to me... i hope one of the experts reply to your topic b/c it would sure help. when was last water change done?