Moor with nasty wound / infection

ypdmd

As you prefer. I prefer using salt and have never had a negative reaction from it. The melafix has caused many of my fish to get stressed out and seemingly oxygen deprived, even with lots of extra aeration. So I pick salt.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i have used both with no adverse reactions. this appears to be an old wound, healing badly, definitly the presence of bacteria present on surface and within. salt is not enough.. salt is good, but more is needed as well as the feeding of MetroMeds or MediGold, whichever the OP has chosen to order.

hi ypdmd, wounds like your fish has I have treated with with a product found in farmacia called trofodermin , this is for treating wounds cuts after surgery and ulcers and comes in spray or cream , its composition makes for good adhesion to skin ( also dry scales) and healing scar tissue, and the neomicine and clostebol aid in fighting the bacteria and stimulates healing.. also other alternative products called wound spray or bandage spray are useful . It is simply applied to skin of fish.

hi all,

fish wound site is patted dry, then treated by dust, cream or spray directly on site. fish is returned to tank. if needed repeat after a few hours ( 24-48-72) if needed. This is a people med and for the external parts, I believe you still need the internal med too.Same way we are treated after surgery,( at least that is how i was treated). This treatment that I quote is not new and may be found in many publications of such authors as Untergasser,buxton, etc..and for something specifc for fish is sold a sites like koi-med.de or NTlabs uk and many others called wound snow or wound spray. all will work i should think.

I have also followed michael's suggestions and have successfully used both powders and sprays.

Also simple Potassium Permanganate paste could work in this case. Just by mixing some cristals with a few drops of water to make a paste. Apply on wound.

• Supporter

i guess i would normally be inclined to agree, but this is way too close to the gill. don't you think?

powders and sprays at what dosage? how? it's all good and well to make suggestions, but how about some instructions of use.. and still, neither have of you have answered the question:

do these treatments treat for internal infections?

further more, can they be used together with salt and MetroMeds and do they affect the cycle?

we can't treat with two antibiotics at the same time so if they have antibiotic in them, i would rather go the MetroMeds and Melafix/salt option.

Edited by stakos

• Supporter

hi all,

fish wound site is patted dry, then treated by dust, cream or spray directly on site. fish is returned to tank. if needed repeat after a few hours ( 24-48-72) if needed. This is a people med and for the external parts, I believe you still need the internal med too.Same way we are treated after surgery,( at least that is how i was treated). This treatment that I quote is not new and may be found in many publications of such authors as Untergasser,buxton, etc..and for something specifc for fish is sold a sites like koi-med.de or NTlabs uk and many others called wound snow or wound spray. all will work i should think.

thank you mikroll, we apprecaite the instructions :)

can you tell me what would happen if any of these products were to come into contact with the gill? the wound is very close to the gill, that is my main concern when using these products.

can you tell me what would happen if any of these products were to come into contact with the gill? the wound is very close to the gill, that is my main concern when using these products.

No, I can not. and do not know about your cycle questions either. but note that active product is neomicyine 5% and that there is very little applied to the fish.

• Supporter

well, without knowing what may happen if these products seep into the gills, or if they will harm the cycle.. i will not support them. i have had great result personally with my own fish and advised to other members here with my recommendations posted in this thread. i guess the OP will need to decide how he/she is comfortable to treat and with what medications is available to them.

• Admin

well, without knowing what may happen if these products seep into the gills, or if they will harm the cycle.. i will not support them. i have had great result personally with my own fish and advised to other members here with my recommendations posted in this thread. i guess the OP will need to decide how he/she is comfortable to treat and with what medications is available to them.

I would have to agree. any medication that gets into the gills could potentially hurt the fish more.....I personally think Melafix or Primafix is the first step. Since the wound is so close to the gill. We dont want to cause more harm than there is. :(

Hello, I would like to make a suggestion here.

I think that at this stage, and given the size and proximity of the wound to the gills, I would go with something more aggressive and waterborne, since the infection is largely external. I would use the combination of Maracyn/Maracyn 2, since this combo provides broad coverage, and includes certain fungi.

Melafix/Pimafix is great for smaller wounds, but I'm not sure it's enough here.

As for Metro-Meds, I have nothing but good things to say about this, but when given a choice, I prefer to not use it, simply because I would like to save it for when it can mean the difference between life and death, namely dropsy. Waterborne meds in this case is more preferable, I think.

Just my two cents :)

I had a weird growth (like 10 different spots) on my goldfish that was pretty brutal and eating the flesh underneath (nothing like what we have here, though). Melafix did nothing, and the Maracyn I/II combo knocked it out and it's since been gone.

Thanks for all the feedback. Right after my original post, I transferred the fish into a 10g QT. There was still some salt in the water from the QT period, but didn't remeber how much. Did a 50% change with .3% salt in the new water, and half dose melafix. So there is somewhere between .15% and .3% salt in the tank. (next time I do a change I will do the same, bringing it closer to .3 if it isn't there) My metro meds have not arrived yet from GF connection (ordered Thursday, AM, so should have arrived saturday -no tracking number provided with google checkout). The original wound on the gill cover is almost comletely healed. The large wound behind it is certainly not any bigger, but is still ragged flesh. Some pineconing right around the wound but that is probably due to inflammation and swelling, and it doesn't seem to be progressing. The wound is not an old wound, as I mentioned, it was only a couple of days old at my first post. I will try to get some more photos posted tonight. And I will look into the trofodermin.

On the trofodermin - colbetasol is a steroid, and while it may reduce inflammation, and be good for ulcers, I would hesitate to put it on an infected wound.

very good but keep reading and you will see that the 2nd part of the drug is neomycin and that fights the infections part I think. also there are other products such as streptosil contains solfatiazolo + neomicine or cicatrene also contaions neomicine and bacitracine and treonicine. i use all of these and am pleased with the results. I think that at several online fish shops can be found like products specific for fish.

Some updated pics - more added to the album. with higher resolution and zoom.

Things do seem to be improving with just the salt and melafix - the gill cover is almost healed, and no spread. The metro meds arrived today. Do you think I should start on the medicated food, or just wait and see, maybe add the maracyn(s)?

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

Edited by ypdmd

Happy to report that wound is healing very nicely, never added the maracyn or used medicated foods.

Tank is at .3 % salt and dosing daily with melafix. I hope that in 1 more week we will be ready to move back to the main tank.

Photos coming soon.

Awesome job, and I'm glad you were able to skip the antibiotics entirely! Don't open the bag of Metro-Meds until you need, if ever. It will keep longer that way.

Keep salt at that level for a little while longer. Melafix at half dose is OK, too.

• 4 weeks later...