Moor with nasty wound / infection

ypdmd

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? 74
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 110, 6 weeks
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 x AC110
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50 and 25% on alternating weeks

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days, 50 %
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 small (1.5 inch) Fish, 3 larger (2.5 - 3 inch)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? omega 1 and hikari lionhead, 2x day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? black moor
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Added salt to .07 2 or 3 days ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Hangs out near the bubbles.

Added a black moor to the tank last week, after 2 weeks in qt with salt and pp. Relatively shy, hangs out near the bottom, but swims and eats well. Sunday afternoon I noticed white ragged area near base of right gill cover, a little bloody below it, and a band of white over right pectoral fin. I added salt. A day later the gill cover started to heal, but the fin looked like it started to rot and there was a new area of damage behind the fin. Pics are attached below. Is this just trauma or a possible infection? Thanks.

More Photos HERE

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use prime and the aqueon water changer. I haven't run it off the sink lately, just siphon down to a sink in the basement.

I have a 10g with running filters that should be cycled. I just have to check the levels before I move him.

• Supporter

i am wondering if you by accident with siphon jammed him between siphon and base? i did the same to one of my moors about a year ago, but all he did was loose some black and the colour grew back. it was more of a deep scrape (no scales lost or damage to the body... just superficial injury) might something like this have occured but more severe?

in any case.. i see that there is some nasty infection happening. do you have or can you get MetroMeds from goldfish connection or from one of our members here on koko's from the Med's program? i feel we need to begin treating for this infection immediately. as well as the MetroMeds, i see we will need to bring salt up gradually in 12 hour intervals to 0.3%

ummm, is that where his pec fin used to be? ie, that spot has become so rotten that the pec fin fell off? if so QT immediately please.

Better shots of the pec.

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

yeah.. i saw that album you posted :(

no, there was no trauma during the water change. He may have gotten nipped by the oranda though. It strange that the gill cover seems to be healing, but the fin got worse ( though the base of the fin seems ok) and the area behind the gill is now affected.

What food should I get, medigold or metromeds?

• Supporter

either one, a personal preference is MetroMeds, but i am sure either one will be fine :) the wound probably took too long to heal or was picked at by other tankmates as an open wound will smell like food to them. from that, the infection would have flared and brewed under the surface.. it doesn't help that he/she is black :( would have taken longer to see it happening.

in any case, we're going to fix it :) fingers crossed it all goes according to plan :)

would you have any melafix also? you can use this at half dose with the salt, it will help with the wound on the outside whilst the MetroMeds or MediGold works its magic on the inside?

• Supporter

fantastic!.. in the interim.. set up qt and begin salting.. first 0.1% after 12 hours 0.2% and then after another 12 hours 0.3%

you did say you recently put this fish through qt? you are aware of how to salt, correct?

It's basically a very high concentration of salt (1.5-3%) for a very short period of time (<5mins). Let me know if you want more info and would feel comfortable trying it.

no no you don't scrub.

you can start with 2% salt (do you know how to calculate that? It is 20grams per liter of water).

You prepare the 2% salt in a little tub with temperature and pH matched water to the tank where the fish is in now. You take the fish and gently place him in the tub. You will want to keep a very close eye on him and be ready for any sign of stress. The fish will usually first swim around and then start to loose balance. Once he looks like he 'faints' you take him out right away and put him back in his tank. Is this clear?

Usually fish last anything from 30seconds to 5minutes. But you will NOT ever want to leave him more than 5minutes, even if he shows no sign of stress (this is usually what happens with larger fish)

• Supporter

fede, why are you disregarding the Melafix? after the salt dipping, the infection inner and outter is still there. you're basically stripping the remainder of slime coat off the fish (as well as any momentary parasitic influence) and leaving it vunrable for other problems. MetroMeds or Medigold will not help with that.

if you personally do not like using Melafix ( i can't see why as it is an ALL natural product that works well for these situations), please recommend something in it's place you know will work for a wound like this that can catch bacteria from the outside and move towards inside as we can clearly see, this is already happening.

salt dipping is great, but is not longterm.

I would then just put salt in the main tank at a level of 0.2%.

I don't trust the melafix. It just smells too strong for me.

• Supporter

I would then just put salt in the main tank at a level of 0.2%.

I don't trust the melafix. It just smells too strong for me.

so does prime! but we don't knock a good product because of one's preference of smell, right? i am sorry, but your advice to disregard the Melafix for such a problem, i do not agree with. Melafix is perfect for this situation, the smell has nothing to do with the outcome, that is just a personal preference that should not intefere with a treatment.