Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

Possible diseases carried by plants

In a hypothetical scenario when someone, say... forgets to 'clean' or bleach their plants before sticking them in the tank, what are the possible diseases that could crop up? Theoretically this could be zillions of different problems but I'm more curious on the more common stuff that if you were to get your plants from the garden center or LFS that could host just which fish diseases exactly? What should we look out for?

All of them really, especially worms and parasites. In addition, there is also the potential for lovely things like pest snails and planaria :o

Well, take this with a grain of salt, I suppose. In the multiple tanks I've had over the years, including my planted nano, I have NEVER bleached or otherwise sterilized a plant. Rinse, inspect carefully, quarantine like a fish if I'm really worried. But I have also never had an outbreak of disease due to or in any way related to those plants. While it is theoretically possible, it is highly unlikely in my experience. As long as the leaves, stems, and roots/runners/tubers are well rinsed there just isn't that much that would be harbored on a plant that would transmit to a fish, in terms of disease. Maybe flukes or other parasites, but a rinse and scrub should take care of those.

The thing I'd worry about with plants is chemicals, actually. It is more likely they might have been in water with objectionable chemicals or toxic additives that might have been absorbed, than a parasite, bacteria, or virus that would survive being without a host for that long.

I'd be fascinated to hear if this has happened to anyone! As far as I can tell, neither your scenario (fish disease) or mine(chemicals) are ones I have ever heard of causing issues with live plants. Silk and plastic are another story.

I have had snails hitch a ride under leaves before, but I don't rank snails as dangerous or toxic. I pick off live snails and look for eggs, but I missed a few over the years. They didn't carry anything prior to being hatched, though, so while they were annoying they weren't dangerous, and exterminating them if you catch the snails prior to proliferation is a simple thing.

Then again, I'm kind of a snail fan, myself, so the definition is malleable depending on the preferences of the fishkeeper ;)

We had someone here lose a whole tank of fish due to unsterilized plants. I tend to be safe rather than sorry. I love my live plants and have a ton of them, but I always sterilize the heck out of them. I also take into account that the fish will eat them. I ususally use PP, but bleach works fine if you soak in a bucket of triple primed water afterwards.