Sign in to follow this  
eather.hey

Questions About Adding Salt....

Okay, so a couple of my fish have finrot. I'm a bad mommy with a nitrite spike. I've never added salt before and have no idea how to do this. I'm done some searches on koko's, but I'm still not quite sure.

I have a 75 gallon that I thought was cycled but I had a sudden nitrite spike that caused immediate finrot.

I was told to use 1 tsp per gallon, every 12 hours. So I have to add 75 tsps then? Do I dillute that first? I can do another water change and dillute the salt that way. Also, what salt is best to use? I read a post by ranchugirl that said pretty much anything except for table salt. Should I buy aquarium salt just to be sure I have the right thing?

Thanks folks!

Heather

Table salt is fine, as long as it doesn't contain anti-caking agents. Some anti-caking agents are actually fine to use with fish, but better safe than sorry and make sure none are added. You want pure sodium chloride salt. Any type is fine - aquarium salt, solar salt, pickling salt, kosher salt, water softening salt, etc. Just check the label to be sure it doesn't contain things which may hurt your babies. Iodized salt is fine.

Dissolve the salt in removed tank water before adding it. If you're shooting for .3%, then you want ~150 teaspoons total in your tank, and you want to add 1/3 of the total amount every 12 hours - so 50 tsp every 12 hours.

The salt will be removed in about the same ratio as the water is - since salt doesn't evaporate. So, if you take out 20% of the water, you take out ~20% of the salt. Only add enough salt to treat the amount of water you change out - the rest of it is still in the tank.

Guest awoods

Hi. On the topic of different salts, do you think it's OK to use the marine-type aquarium salts such as Instant Ocean for goldfish tanks? I happen to have that on-hand for my brackish-water pufferfish and I was wondering if it's OK for goldfish.

It is okay, but the salts for marine tanks will raise your KH and pH, so if you choose to use it, add it gradually and monitor the pH. I prefer not to use it, just because I'd rather not make a fish deal with any more changes than are necessary. It is okay to use, just be sure the pH doesn't shift too much too fast. If you have ammonia in your tank, you do not want to raise the pH (it makes the ammonia more toxic), so if you are showing an ammonia presence, don't use the marine salt.