Lowering Tank Temperature?

Sassyfras McGee

Hello there! I am chomping at the bit to breed my goldies... I started out content with just keeping them, but raising my own little dudes from teeny eggs sounds irresistibly fun. I've read and read and I am confident that I can do this. Only one problem.

So to simulate seasons, you are supposed to lower the tank temperature to 64-68 degrees. Problem! I live in Arizona and my tank temperature right now (in the dead of winter) is permanently stuck at 74.

I'm desperately trying to decide the right way to go about this. If I am reading correctly, it needs to be lowered for 1-2 weeks and then gradually increased. I thought about slowly adding cold water and taking out the warm, but holy geez would that be a loooong process as to not shock the fish via temperature change. And even then it would come back up to room temp by at least that night. Frozen bottles of water submerged? Still wouldn't last too long and may make the water TOO cold. I work 8:30-5, M-F so monitering the temperature throughout the day would be difficult (although I can and do go home on my lunch breaks).

Thoughts?

Edited by Sassyfras McGee

Goldfish will spawn without an "artificial spring," and I think you will do more harm than good trying to lower the temperature in your tank. Do you have a basement that is cool? That's the only thing that would be reasonable unless you want to turn the AC waaayyy down.

Goldfish will spawn without an "artificial spring," and I think you will do more harm than good trying to lower the temperature in your tank. Do you have a basement that is cool? That's the only thing that would be reasonable unless you want to turn the AC waaayyy down.

We don't have basements here either, unfortunately. I think my man would kill me if I turned the AC on in the winter (and down to 68, at that). How would I go about encouraging spawning without the artificial spring?