Dropsy?

ehath

• * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level -10 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature? 70
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gal
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 1 - 2 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? once per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? see below
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Several months ago we had an issue with the tank and lost three fish. We kept the one survivor in a 10 gallon for several months and moved him 3 weeks ago to the 40 gallon tank. We did get 3 other fish about 1 month after we had lost 3 and put them in the 40 gallon. They were separated for several months. Then 3 weeks ago we added the one survivor back to the big tank and all seemed ok. I just noticed the one we added back has raised scales. This fish looks like it has one frayed fin. We are setting up the 10 gallon again and will isolate him. They all seem to be eating well. From what I've read, I'm wondering if this is dropsy.

I am going to put about 5 gallons of the water from the 40 into the 10 gallon tank and fresh water for the rest. I'm going to also do a 50% water change in the 40 gallon tank and add 1 tsp of salt per gallon once a day for 3 days in both the 10 gallon and the 40 gallon. Will this be ok if it is Dropsy? Could the stress of the move in tanks have caused this? Can I to do anything else?

Thank you!

You can barely see the scales on his stomach. They are raised. It seems like they're just raised on his underside. He seems really bloated. He had peas about 4 days ago and skipped a feeding. Could this happen with stomach bloat? http://www.hathawaysolutions.com/images/fish/dscf6484.jpg You can also see the frayed fin.

I see the pineconing. Do you have Metro-Meds?

If not, can you contact one of the people in the thread below, who are offering free Metro-Meds

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97376-free-metro-meds/page__hl__%2Bfree+%2Bmetro-meds__fromsearch__1

You will have to pay for shipping, though.

In the mean time, do you have:

- a QT of at least 10 gallons?

- Epsom salt

- a heater

We will need to start treatment ASAP

I gave him some peas and he ate.

I have aquarium salt and a heater (never used). I have to order the other. He's already QT in a 10 gallon tank. He's swimming more on his side now. It's getting worse since the move and before the peas. But he's swimming as opposed to floating.

I can't get a good picture from behind. Here is a video.

Ok, thank you. I'll start the salt now.

Even though it's just on his belly, do you think it's dropsy? If so, can they survive? Also, do I treat the 40 gallon with the Metro-Meds too?

There are some very important distinctions I need to make here:

It's EPSOM salt, not aquarium salt or sodium chloride.

Also, Metro-Meds is a medicated food to be fed only to the sick fish, and not to the healthy fish.

Is Epsom salt used at the same ratio as aquarium salt? 1 tsp per gallon per day for three days?

Do I use Epsom salt with the 40 gallon as well?

I need to run out to get Epsom salt so I can get this started.

No. You do nothing for the 40 gallon, except to give them a nice big WC, with matching temp and pH.

For the QT, it must be:

- at least 10 gallons

- filtered, but not necessary to be cycled

- heated to 80 degrees

- Epsom salt at 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons

- daily WC of at least 50%. Once a day is ok, but twice is much better.

- Replace the amount of Epsom taken out with each water change.

Yes, but if they aren't showing symptoms, there is absolutely no reason to treat at this point. You can't treat prophylactically for dropsy, and dropsy isn't contagious in the sense that once one fish comes down with dropsy, the entire tank will come down with it also right away.

You mentioned "Epsom salt at 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons" I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. It's not 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. Since it's a 10 gallon tank, I only put in 1/4 teaspoon? Thank you.

Thank you. Hopefully the meds will help. I've read some bad things about Dropsy. I hope he'll be ok. I'm doing the water changes with the Epsom salt. He's eating fine and still swimming ok.

• Supporter

with the epsom salts reducing the fluid retention i see formin where his "chin" is and lower belly until the meds come, i think he stands a chance, it looks like you noticed it soon enough..

dropsy is a symptom to a bacteria problem where the fish has become infected. so, like we did once before hun, you have to try to find the source of the problem.. starting with removing that ornament as koko suggested is a good idea.

remember to heat the tank to 80F whilst using the Epsom and meds.. you're in good hands. good luck :heart

Not to not sound not optimistic - the only time I have seen a really successful cure of dropsy/raised scales really be cured (aka not returning/relapsing) is when the raised scales is only on a portion of the body... much like your case. When it's the entire body, it can be cured, but it's a matter of time for a relapse and normally relapses can be fatal

However! I think you def have the upper hand since you are catching this early - it's only the belly , and if you follow all the advice above you will have a higher success rate. I wonder how your fish is doing now? I do hope he is better!!!

Speaking of "he", we sure it's a boy? I wonder how the vent is looking since there are raised scales along the belly. Just a shot in the dark.

I'm not sure it's a boy. I call it he and my daughter calls it her.

Today he is looking a tiny bit better. I don't notice the raised scales. He's not really puffy. Just a little. He started sitting a little on the bottom but not all the time. Now he's not doing that. I'll post a picture in a bit. I really hope he's ok!