Goldfish Seizures?

Aluyasha

Your fish are beautiful. Sorry you are having troubles. Before I say anything let me say that I am new to goldfish care so don't go strictly by what I say :). When I read your explanation of the seizures I remember my common Elmo having similar problems. She would race around the tank so fast and then stop, start twitching and fall on her side and just float (I honestly would think she was dying). My shubunkin who was also in the tank, did not have these symptoms. I later found out that my pH was falling and shocking my fish (my common was more susceptible to the changes in pH than the shubie was). When I did water changes...hours later the tank pH would drop to 6.4 (from 7.4 to 7.8 in the tap). If your water is hard...then you shouldn't have problems with quickly dropping pH...but I thought I would mention my experiences with how something as simple as pH dropping...can cause such dramatic consequences in fish. As others mentioned previously...make sure and get tap pH and tank pH measured, just in case :). Here is a video of what my Elmo would do when the pH dropped:

You're going to be annoyed at me lol

- don't open the test strips. Bring them back and exchange for the drops. Drop test kits are far more accurate, and much more economical since you can do hundreds of tests in a kit.

- it's really important to test the tap, because I am trying to figure out if there has been a pH change between tank and tap. The reason for that is that as the pH drops, it can cause some of these symptoms. This is perhaps a tad more worrisome knowing that your local pH is 7. Anything below 7 is not desirable to bad to dangerous.

How is he doing? Would it be possible for you to switch kits and get pH readings?

You might also call your local water company and ask about your hardness (kh/gh), ask them for exact numbers. This would give us a clue as to whether or not your Ph might be unstable. You can also get kh/gh test kits at the LFS :)

The API master test kit (drop test kit) is great if you can find it, it will probably be a bit more expensive than the strips, but will last you much longer and comes with a high range and low range Ph test.

@Kayla: He is not as lifeless looking as Elmo in the video. He never goes on his side, when he is done twitching he just sits there, kind of like how fish look when sleeping. It seems more like Pacer is just worn out after all the twitching.

I siphoned their tank today and he has not done it since mid day yesterday, so that is good I hope.

I asked for the Ph test but their kit did not have one, and I myself could not find one on the shelf. I will keep looking.

The guy did tell me though that they have monitored Ph from there tap at the store and it's and where I live is very stable.

Edited by Aluyasha

The guy did tell me though that they have monitored Ph from there tap at the store and it's and where I live is very stable.

The point I've been trying to make, somewhat unsuccessfully is this...in a goldfish tank, it being goldfish living in there, the water is extremely susceptible to pH fluctuations, because goldfish excrete a lot of ammonia and produce a lot of waste. All this in the end drive the pH down and cause all kinds of problems. That's why we need to know what the tank pH is, as well as tap. There is no way the store could monitor your goldfish tank pH. Each tank has its own dynamic, and as Kayla described, pH is a major cause of these spasmodic problems. There is another D&D thread in the 911 section, where in the end, it turned out to be pH. So we really need to get this figured out. I would be totally happy if I'm wrong, but coupled with the current high nitrates in your tank, I'm thinking that there is a pH issue.

The best kit for your money is the API freshwater master kit, as tithra wrote. This kit measures pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates - essentially the things you need to know on a very frequent basis.

How is the fish today? Considering that your nitrate is high. May I suggest a 50% WC today?

My Nitrate is high? Hmm, on the number chart thingy I was at the lowest color, bright yellow. Did I get the nitrates and nitrites mixed up?

I did a 50% water change when I siphoned today, at about 2pm.

These water kits are so confusing. lol

Edited by Aluyasha

So I got my Ph tested, tap and tank. Tap is at 7.5 and tank is also 7.5.

Thank you! We can now rule out issues with water quality.

The next time that we can do is begin to treat for external parasites, such as body and gill flukes. This will require aquarium salt (or Morton's Canning & Pickling salt, available at many grocery stores). You will also need a product called Prazipro. If your LFS does not carry it, you can order it from online sources, such as Amazon.

How much salt did you add?

There are two links in my sig about salt? Could you please read them? Then I'd like for you to follow the directions to add up salt to 0.3%. If you have any questions about how to do this, please ask. Salt is to be added at 0.1% every 12 hours :)