Sign in to follow this  
Monkey87

HEY GUYS FEEDING MY GOLDFISH....

hey guys i was wondering what is meant by "frequent small feedings" what exactly is frequent? like every 2 hours? just a question! THANKS! :D

I personally take the amount I need to feed for the day and break it up into 5-6 feedings, as opposed to 1-2. Obviously this can be tricky to do if you are not home all day. Since Puff is in QT and is currently just getting jump start pellets (and veggies), I am using an auto feeder that gives him 4 feedings while I am gone at work, I set the feedings to be a couple hours apart. Then I do another feeding or two when I get home.

Edie is on a more regular diet of gel food and occasional pellets so she gets fed a little in the morning before I leave for work, and then the rest is broken up into 3-4 feedings every couple hours until I go to bed.

I think 3-5 feedings a day is generally considered 'frequent' whereas 1-2 is the more typical feeding schedule.

I agree with tithra, usually most people feed 1-2 is more typical while 3-5 is more frequent.

cool! thank u.!! is it better for growing goldfish to get fed more "frequently" or is that just a myth... will it actually help them get bigger faster?

Feeding more frequent smaller meals is generally better for growth. This is because goldfish essentially do not have a stomach where food is stored and digested. Instead the digestive tract is more of a continuous tube. The digestive tract has developed this way because in a more natural environment goldies will graze all day, having lots of small meals of bugs/smaller fish/plants etc.

When they are fed smaller meals they will be able to absorb more of the nutrients. With a big meal it just gets pushed right through the digestive tract, resulting in a lot of nutrients being pooped right out :)