Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

OMG SEIZURES HELP PLEASE

1/4tsp in a 75 gallon is not going to have much effect at all.. neither is 2 x this amount.

correct. for a 75 gallon tank, my mention above is accurate.

the dose is 1/4 teaspoon per 10US gallons. for a 75 gallon, you will need 7 grams of epsom 7 x 1/4 teaspoons

for a 10 gallon you need 1 x 1/4 teaspoon of epsom

DesigNerd - if I may chime in here....

The methods for treating dropsy used by members of this forum have been refined over the years, with the intention of minimizing the amount of meds needed to treat the sick fish. Moreover, in order for the suggestions/advice for treatment to be most effective, it's really best to follow one protocol, to avoid confusion and contradicting directions.

The 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons dosage of Epsom is also one I've used very successfully in the past. Especially with already pale gills, it's best to play it very conservatively and avoid further anemia issues.

I don't know why you both mentioned anemia & pale gills because the gills look like a good pink. I said melony but what I really meant was a hint of orange tinge, not like a pale color. Just wanted to clear that up a bit. What are some other signs & symptoms of fish anemia? I know it very well in humans but the osmotic process is just so different.

Because of the difficulty of doing a full 100% water change, in my case, do you think 2 or 3 smaller changes would be sufficient? If so, what percentage and how would I retreat the epsom, after it's all done?

whichever way you can. if you can calculate that you're able to reduce the epsom in the tank to the dose of 1/4 teaspoon for every 10US gallons, i feel that would be better for your fish.

i have lost a fish to epsom poisoning, it's not pretty and it hit hard. also, just so that you know, you can not treat with epsom for more than 8 consecutive days. once the course of epsom has run for 8 consecutive days, you cannot retreat for a number of weeks.

Okay. I'll do a 50% water change then also include 1/2 packet of medicine. The medicinal course is 4 days. In line with the epsom salt the water changes should be good. I didn't know about the 8 day max for salts.

Thanks for your help.

which medicine have you decided to use? are you not going with the MetroMeds when they arrive? the only reason why i ask is once you start an antibiotic, you have to finish the course full term and then wait some before you start another.

I have already started the General Cure by API that has metronidazole and praziquantel.

ok.. then allow it to run it's full course. i don't thing we should order anything more for now..

so.. all that is in the qt..

a heater,

prime

1/4teaspoon to every 10US gallons of water (dissolved) epsom salts

and the general cure as instructed on the packet and for the entire length of time that is recommended.

heat to 80F

when doing the water changes, be sure to match the PH as well as the water temperature for the new water before it enters the tank, fish is already sensitive. sometimes, already sensitive fish are super sensitive to temperature changes higher or lower and this alone can cause them to relapse dropsy again.

with all of this, i believe you should begin to see some significant positive changes within the next few days. if the epsom has worked it's magic in relieving the fluid retention and when the fish is back to normal size, even if it has not reached the 8 maximum days, it is ok to do water changes to remove it. i found that 5 days and my fish were back to normal size, i would then remove the epsom.

good luck and post back as often as you need to :)

Okay so today there is mild improvement on one side of the fish's scales, they are not as raised up as the other side. The raised scales are localized in only 2 patches on either side near the pectoral fins extending to behind the gills. Whereas the other day it was almost his entire body raised up so that's better. The swelling hasn't declined much but he is eating food.

I wish the swelling would go down faster. The temperature is up to 81degrees, that's about as close as I can get it with the heater otherwise it's down to 78.

You were right about the stringy things in the mouth of Zoe in the other tank, about the ph drop. Now that it's been stabilized for awhile those have gone away. Big relief that I don't have to treat that tank.

DN.. any updates?

Right. So, I ran the full course of meds and gave them an extra few days in QT just to be sure they're fine. All the swelling has gone down and all the scales are laying flat. The smaller one that didn't have the seizures, he was kinda lumpy and always been that way, but my oh my has his body shifted. I thought he was just growing crooked because of the whole 'flukes as a fry' issue. Well he's actually looking a LOT smaller and leaner. :blink::)

Last night I started giving them water from the main tank to see if there's any immediate reactions, nope. Hooray. :clapping: Then today I gave them a few more water changes of the main tank again today. Still no visible reactions. I'm about to move them back into the main tank but the last few days the smaller guy's dorsal fin has been clamped. He's eating, looks about as happy as he can be trapped in a miserable qt tank. The big guy doesn't have his dorsal fin clamped. So... hmm.... I wonder what that's about. I'm hoping it's just as simple as him not getting enough aeration since there's no bubble in the QT and his mouth is set so low he can't easily get it above the water line. Both tanks are now at 76 degrees F. so the transition is easier.

this is good news.. congratulations :)

once you have them back in the main tank, i would like to see a video of their behaviour.. can you manage that?

They are just the sweetest little things. The 2 boys are back in the main tank and just as social as ever. They are the social glue for the school. Now all the fishies are cuddled around them swimming on, under, & over each other. Too cute. Cuddle puddle! :clapping:

how precious? i love watching warm welcomes :heart

i am now moving this thread to dnd.. congratulations on their recovery :)

Well this sucks. I just had to post a whole new thread about the smaller guy. Massive fin rot. He's been in QT for a FURAN-2 medication treatment but looks worse than before.

Please follow the link http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98742-shubunkin-with-massive-fin-rot/

So for the last few months after Zon passing, Valcore was doing well and seemed healthy. Until about last week. He wasn't acting normal. Then his scales started to raise a little bit. He then developed full blown dropsy again and his fins started to fray. I quarantined him and when I did a very quick salt dip his gills started bleeding. I screamed and put him back in QT but he died later that night.

There is finally closure to this sad story. I believe if I had treated them from the start with metro meds maybe none of this would've ever happened. I hope others can learn from my mistake.

RIP Valcore. :rip:

I'm sorry. RIP Valcore. :(

Just a couple of notes to add:

1. Please don't ever do a salt dip before you assess the state of health of your fish. Salt is an amazing treatment, but it also a corrosive substance and should not ever be used to badly damaged gills.

2. Salt dips are also not prescribed for fish with dropsy. These fish already have problems expelling fluids, and when you now make it so that their environment has even more salt then they do, it completely messes with their ability to osmoregulate. :(