Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

OMG SEIZURES HELP PLEASE

At least in my experience, both in treating fish with dropsy and from my readings, furan-2 is not one of the meds that can do much against dropsying fish. Nor can tetracycline, unfortunately. Metronidazole remains the gold standard because not only is it an antibiotic, but because it is also an anti-protozoan parasite medication.

Oh I'm so glad you mentioned the technical medication. The General Cure has 250mg of Metronidazole and 75mg of Praziquantel per packet. So, I wont bother with the Furan-2 but will use the General Cure then, right, sound good?

You need to get the meds inside the fish, because waterborne formulations in the amount given won't be enough.

I think Stakos' plan is a very good one.

do you have everything required for the qt set up? and have you set the qt up yet? furthermore, have you begun treating with epsom salt? how big is the qt?

They've been in the qt for about a week for the tetracycline and only were back in the regular tank for 36 hours for when this erupted rapidly. They were in qt because of the raised side scale, singular, and had treatment before. Both shubunkins have been back in qt for 24hours with prime, epsom salt, metronidazole, praziquantel, buffer, (baking soda before I got the buffer), and coral. Nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, ph 7.4 and 50% water change today. Slowly moving the temperature from 78 to 80 now.

Side note: I just noticed that one of the healthier looking shubunkins, who was mating all morning with the ladies, he's got 2 or 3 stringy things attached on the inside of his mouth. I'm suspecting that might be the source of the problems and the majority of the fish have just been tougher in dealing with it. Parasites?

Now I'm up for suggestions to treating the regular tank, 75 gallons. I'm thinking the General Cure since I've already treated them with Prazi pro a couple times in a month. When I gave them the melafix & pimafix they got shivers & shakes so did a massive water change and they then mated again after that. They sure like to mate.

If I do treat their tank, I'd like to just do it once, perfectly cuz' that many gallons is expensive.

how long has the PH been stable at 7.4 and what was it before you achieved 7.4?

right.. i have seen the white stringy things attached to the insides of my fish's mouth(s) once before. it was when i had a huge drop in my PH (ie, PH crash) and then corrected. it was noticable as they opened and closed their mouths with the movement of water entering and exiting, so did the white strands. is that what you're explaining?

this is also i a sign of overmedicating. can i ask you to check the colour of the two fish's gills and tell me what you see?

Oh that might explain it! When I did the giant water change I used the tap hose after the rains here which dropped the stupid ph down to 6.6 - 6.8 ish for the big tank.

The darn qt tank originally had a ph of 6.0 ish when the seizures happened. The water here isn't usually that bad so I wasn't expecting the level to drop that much. I'll use buffer from now on and I finally got some coral today.

fantastic!! now, i want you to understand that how you're going to treat for dropsy is not really an expensive method as Epsom Salts are so cheap.. all you're really paying for is the MetroMeds.. and to be honest, members here are giving them away.. huge generosity program we got going here, that is, if you want to take advantage of it.. let me know and i will see what i can arrange for you. koko already has your address, we can arrange it together.

do you have the heater/filter/epsoms at hand?

Valcore that had the seizures and is worse off, his body is normally white so it's easy to see. The gills are pink melonish. Not red like the other day but not the faint pink of his normal self.

The smaller shubunkin that had flukes as a fry, his coloration on the gills are black and impossible to see. I'd guess they'd be a soft pink. He's not having as bad of time as Valcore is.

Yes, the heater, epsom salts, and filter are in use.

Thanks. It would take a lot of burden off of me to get some free meds. Arranging the shipping cost on a personal message would be good.

PM either Acro or Mr.B to see if they have any Metro-Meds left :)

colour of the gills need to be red. tell me the dose of the epsom

1/4 tsp a few hours ago and a 1/4 tsp 12.5 hrs before that.

and this is the first time you've used epsom on these two fish?

DN, the reason why i ask what colour the gills are is because, the use of too much epsom salt to a fish can cause anaemia,,. to which the fish will live a "special needs" rest of his short life..

so, in your best opinion, does it appear that the fish have lost colour in the gills, or do they appear to be normal. i am currently charging my camera battery otherwise i would post a pic for you to compare to your guys.

since adding the epsom 12 hours ago.. have you noticed any difference in the fluid retention? has this come down at all?

also, if it were me, i would be dosing the required epsom salts for the 75 gallon in one complete go. can you add the rest of the dose in please? 1/4tsp in a 75 gallon is not going to have much effect at all.. neither is 2 x this amount.

Oh I didn't make myself clear. The 1/4 tsp dosing was in the quarantined tank of only 10 gallons. Only the 2 sick fish that were showing signs are in there. They were the same 2 guys that had been in qt the week prior.

I think the puffiness has gone down just a little bit but the scales are still raised on Valcore. The small guy, Zon had his eyes bulge out a little (nothing like a telescope but more than what's normal for him), mild body puffing compared to the big guy.

None of the fish in the 75g tank is showing anything unusual except that stringy bit in the mouth of the sexually active male shubunkin, which given your idea of the ph drop makes a lot of sense.

The gills do have some color. A tad more than normal but nothing extreme like when they were gasping from the acidification.

now exactly how much epsom is in the 10 gallons qt that you are treating right now?

so far, 1/2 tsp.

1/2 teaspoon in a 10 gallon tank is waaaay too much. Immediately do a 100% water change and start again with a new 10 gallons.. add prime and 1/4 teaspoon epsom. this will surely cause adverse problems if you do not correct it as soon as possible. matter is serious.

Really? Many other forums and sites suggested 1/4 tsp to 10 gallons every 12 hours with a total of 4 treatments until 1tsp is met.

1/4tsp in a 75 gallon is not going to have much effect at all.. neither is 2 x this amount.

you can follow their advice if you like, but it is against what i know and have personally experienced with my fish. i have successfully treated and *cured* two fish from dropsy who have not relapsed in over 9 months. i am guiding you the same way i achieved these results.

if there is any discolouration to your fish's gills, then you can bet your bottom dollar on the fact the epsom at 1/2 teaspoon in that 10 gallons is exactly what's causing them to becom anaemic.

ultimately, the decision is yours. i stand back and allow you to decide.