Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

OMG SEIZURES HELP PLEASE

Hey, so far everything I ever had to dissolve (including salt) dissolved in room temperature water within seconds. :P

Hey, so far everything I ever had to dissolve (including salt) dissolved in room temperature water within seconds. :P

You make me smile Fang :)

Lol.

My apologies you guys...the actual name of the other buffer is Seachem ALKALINE buffer :P

Lol.

My apologies you guys...the actual name of the other buffer is Seachem ALKALINE buffer :P

:wa:lol JK

Hehe. I'm old. I am prone to a fit of name forgetting once every 5 seconds :P

Hehe. I'm old. I am prone to a fit of name forgetting once every 5 seconds :P

:lol TD is the same way :rofl

:rofl

Designerd, how are the fish today? Have you checked the pH again?

You guys are so funny.

The sick kiddos are still in their hospital tank and they are doing okay. The big one, Valcore, that had the seizures is still pinning to get back to his best friend in the big tank. Zoe, the healthy best friend in the safe tank has been stressing out swimming back n forth the last few days searching for his friend but other than worry they appear to be healthy.

Tonight is the last dose of tetracycline and then I'm thinking of giving them a course of pimafix & melafix just to be certain. It's also what I did the first time this happened. I saved the white thing that came out of the scale and this time I'm taking it to the store that sold him to me. I took it to a different store last time and they had no clue what it was. It's really bizaar and even after googling it, nothing shows up. Total mystery.

The two fish that are in the hospital tank came from a different lot than the rest so hopefully treating just them will take care of the problem but that's being overly optimistic. I noticed some mild itching on a couple of guys in the bigger tank. They've already been treated with prazi pro. So maybe just another round of that for them?

uhm....

oh yeah! Sooo the craziest thing I figured out last night. With the Pur water filter on the sink, the ph level was 8.8!!!! And straight tap no filter was 6.6 so I'm thinking I could just use some of the extra filtered water, eh?

Koko, thank you for the offer. Getting out to Beavertron is a bit hard as I'm bus bound.

Glad things are better! :)

Treating with Pimafix/Melafix is fine, as both of these are rather mild.

I'm not surprised that the filter raises the pH. Your water utility probably injects chemicals in the water to depress pH, and the filtration removes those compounds :)

I think that you still need to buffer your tank water, perhaps with crushed coral?

Well Then silly....

Email me your addy and Ill ship it to you :P This way you can see if the Buff it up works :thumb:

kokosgoldfish@gmail.com

Its been shipped :thumb: Should be there tomorrow, thats what the post office said :)

Thanks Koko!!! First you make this awesome site to help out us fish nerds to geek out to and next you're helping me personally with my tanks. Yay internet! Yay Koko!!!

I just know the water (PH) here hun, drops really bad when it rains. I dont want your babies to be sick :)

Even Dragon Rose yesterday was talking about it with me. It drops on her to.

Since she lives in our general area :thumb:

So let keep it up there :thumb:

Oh crap! Valcore's got dropsy. I'm afraid he's not going to make it. He's ballooned up like a little bear except for his head, rapidly over night. This is 2 days after putting them back into the normal tank. The other fish that was quarentined has been bottom sitting and his eyes are buldging out as of the middle of the night. We just rushed them back into the quarentined tank (new water been cycling for a day just in case). I feel horrible!!! I think maybe it was over exposure to bacteria without a long enough dosing. Should I use prazi or melafix or pimafix? They've got nothing but prime & a little salt.

:cry1:no:

So I ran up to the store, a mile in the snow uphill, and grabbed some epsom salt. Doing at 50% water change to dilute some of that aquarium salts. Going to add 1/4 teaspoon to the 10 gallons. This is my first time. I really love all the other forums I was able to quickly search through to find out what to do.

Wish me luck!

So I ran up to the store, a mile in the snow uphill, and grabbed some epsom salt. Doing at 50% water change to dilute some of that aquarium salts. Going to add 1/4 teaspoon to the 10 gallons. This is my first time. I really love all the other forums I was able to quickly search through to find out what to do.

Wish me luck!

Whats the temp? we need to get it to 80F. We also need to get Medigold. I just gave mine to Dragon Rose. There is a thread in the Classifieds for Medication that people are will to give you if you pay the shipping. This might be faster than goldfishconnection.com. Thats the place to order from.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/138-want-to-buy-or-giving-away/

did you get the buff in the tank yet.

Sometimes PH crashing can cause a fish to dropsize, also bacteria. So I want to make sure you got the ph up too :)

I haven't buffered yet but have been keeping my eye on the ph level like a hawk. I'm still a little confused by it, do I just add it in even when the ph level is set? I check it 2x a day now.

It's been a few hours and they don't look any better yet, if anything the big guy's scales are extended out a little more, near his gills.

Been really distracted though, the other tank is mating now and I've been hand scooping the eggs out with a net.

I haven't buffered yet but have been keeping my eye on the ph level like a hawk. I'm still a little confused by it, do I just add it in even when the ph level is set? I check it 2x a day now.

It's been a few hours and they don't look any better yet, if anything the big guy's scales are extended out a little more, near his gills.

Been really distracted though, the other tank is mating now and I've been hand scooping the eggs out with a net.

Best thing to do. Is get some crushed coral and place that in the filter system. This will make the ph more stable. I would add the buff it up in, if your ph goes .2 down. Cause with our water it will go down fast.

Also constant fluctuation of the PH will eventually lead to Dropsy. When it changes your making the fish have a hard time passing the water out of there system. Making them bloat.

The only way to treat Dropsy's is heat, Epsom salt and Medigold. With out all three its almost impossible. Then once the fish is back to normal. Remember this fish has a possibility of relapse. :(

Edited by stakos
added highlighted word.

I'm sorry... :(

If it's dropsy, you'll need Metro-Meds.

Whats the temp? we need to get it to 80F. We also need to get Medigold.

We're about to get to the LFS that have something like Medigold. When I called they said they'd never heard of it but have 2 other things that work for this. Can't remember the name, sounded Latin. He said one dissolves nutrients into the water if they aren't eating and one they eat, so I'm supposing it's the triple antibiotic medicated food.

We'll also pick up another thermometer as that tank's sticker one is busted. The heat is on but low until we figure out what the temp is.

In case things go bad we also have 2 liters of soda water, clove oil, & the only vodka on hand - raspberry vodka. Not sure how to do all that and hopefully it wont come down to it. Koko, you can understand how difficult it is to get liquor around town if not timed perfectly in your day.

So just double checking, it's 1/4 tsp of epsom salt every 12 hours?

DesigNerd, you need Metro-Meds, and if you do choose to use something else, would you let us know what you are using?

designerd, i am sorry your fish is still having problems.

we would really like to see some pictures "topview" of the fish so that we can determine if the symptoms swelling and/or pineconing are present. i would really encourage you to post pictures as soon as possible.

dropsy can be treated with many medicinces.. however, members here, including myself have had outstanding results with MetroMeds. we can arrange shipping of MetroMeds from other members who are offering this for free, all you have to do is pay the shipping.

the only necessary setup to treat dropsy is:

a cycled qt heated tank to 80F

declorinated water (seachme prime preferred)

epsom salt 1/4 teaspoon for every 10US gallons..

additional aeration

we would like to help you restore good health to your fish.. please tell me what you are missing from the set up above so that we can assist.

we then feed MetroMeds in small portions and regularly throughout the day/night.

My other half got Furan-2 and a general cure. Since he got to the store after they closed he had to go to another one that didn't have the same stuff. I'm hesitant to use either of those other things since they've had prazi treatments and a full course of tetracyline. I don't want their bellies to turn to mush. Can we just soak their food in the Furan-2?

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I don't have a camera available, my phone camera has been returned 3x and my normal camera's is currently broken. There is some definite pineconing going on, all the scales are very raised and he's all puffed up all around as well, double his normal size.