Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

OMG SEIZURES HELP PLEASE

shubunkin 1 year old in hospital tank having seizure. tank is treated with prime, salts, prazi pro and tetracycline as of about 24hrs ago. Just opened lid to add more tetra and he started siezuring out, swimming upside down. He's looks function. No video capability. oh crap what do I do? The other shubunkin in the quarentine tank is fine. Both are there because of a mysterious side bumps. Same fish about a month ago had tail polyps that went away and immediately followed with an open scale in which white puffy looking rice came out. Nothing alive like worms but was white and solid. Treated previously with prazi, melafix and pemafix.

Now he just swam upside down and sideways. He freaks out when I'm near the tank. Away from the tank he's just a little shaky. HELP PLEASE!!!

Is there a possibility of an electrical current in the water? Do you have a bucket that you could take and him out and put him in to see if his behavior changes?

I know you are panicking, but if you could answer the questions on the top as pertains the QT tank, that would be fantastic. Thanks, and hang in there!

Edited by dnalex

No electricy in the tank. Other fish didn't have any problems like crazy like that. I thought he was in the process of dying. It looked really really painful. Episode is over but he's scratching. Been bottom sitting off n on the past couple days.

When did you start the Prazi? What round is it?

Also, there were worms bursting out of the wound?

He's a white fish with grey underpatterns and usually soft pink gills on head but now it's dark red. Twitching. Quick breathing. sore on side seems to be opening up..

Started the first round of prazi & tetracycline yesterday. Was about to do the 2nd round of tetracycline when he started freaking out. Only a little powder fell in, not much of the dose at all. I'm afraid to add anything at the moment.

The sore on his side is redder than this morning. His tail veins are also bright red, normally light pink.

I think what's happening is he had a few problems and the medicine might be killing off so much at once, maybe the immune system has been over-complicated/stressed out.

Can you get the parameter readings? Do you have an extra tub where you can take him out for a tad to see how he behaves there? Make sure to match temp and pH, unless your QT pH has crashed. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

ah, okay. Lemme check if anything changed since yesterday.

Gah! Yeah previous tank ph was 7.4 and now it's 6.4 Do I add baking soda?

Yup. That's what I suspected was the cause for your fish to be some jumpy. Meds (any meds really) could cause your water pH to drop south. If you don't have a buffer, then go with baking soda. Try adding 1 teaspoon, wait 15 minutes, check pH, and repeat until you've brought it up to 7.4-7.6

You will need to check again in the morning.

Do you have soft water?

It's only a 10 gallon tank. I'll add it slowly but how much should I add for that size?

btw THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for helping me out and so quickly too.

oh and the water here is normally pretty good however low, 6.6

Take a little tank water, add 1 teaspoon to it, dissolve and add to the tank. Wait for 15 minutes, check pH. If it's under 7, add another teaspoon as you've done before that, wait 15 minutes and check pH.

Do it in increments of 1 teaspoons until you get to 7.4

I'll be around and will check in on you...

Once this pH crisis is OK, let's make a point to talk about ways you can keep your tank pH above 7 at all times. 6.6 is dangerously low.

Edited by dnalex

I only waited 2 minutes but it jumped to a 7.6 ph level. He flicked a few times while it slowly came in but he kept swimming towards it. Seemed to like it. I'll post back in an hour if there's any changed. Seems to be better.

THANK YOU!!!

A hard scary lesson to learn that I'll never forget. What kind of ph buffer should I be using for a QT tank?

My personal favorite is Seachem Gold Buffer, but you may have a hard time finding it in your area. I think Koko's said she's tried to look but didn't find. Seachem also makes a basic buffer, which also works fine. Otherwise, you can order Buff-It-Up from Goldfish Connection.

Given that your tap pH is so low though, you may need to age your water overnight, or do small changes but much more often to avoid huge fluctuations.

I'm glad he's feeling better :)

Edited by dnalex

Good to know. There's a couple stores I think that might have it but at least I can order it online.

Yesterday I did a 50 gallon water change on the 75 gallon tank. I feel so stupid that I didn't even think about the ph levels. I use the hose/sink attachment now and got a little better about temperature control. Still, I like your idea of sitting small water changes overnight because we woke up to eggs, again. Only a couple after the eating frenzy but they are safe and sound in the nursery.

Big sigh. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. They take up so much more time than my swordtails do. Don't get me wrong, I love them, a lot. I could be out at the clubs right now but I'd rather make sure they don't die. :kickbutt

ph is still 7.6, can I add the tetracycline now? Slowly perhaps and keeping an eye on the ph during, say, a 15-30 minute process?

Good to know. There's a couple stores I think that might have it but at least I can order it online.

Yesterday I did a 50 gallon water change on the 75 gallon tank. I feel so stupid that I didn't even think about the ph levels. I use the hose/sink attachment now and got a little better about temperature control. Still, I like your idea of sitting small water changes overnight because we woke up to eggs, again. Only a couple after the eating frenzy but they are safe and sound in the nursery.

Big sigh. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. They take up so much more time than my swordtails do. Don't get me wrong, I love them, a lot. I could be out at the clubs right now but I'd rather make sure they don't die. :kickbutt

Hang in there! It gets easier, although they do demand a fair bit of time lol

ph is still 7.6, can I add the tetracycline now? Slowly perhaps and keeping an eye on the ph during, say, a 15-30 minute process?

Yup. Watch that pH like a hawk, though :)

Sorry for hitchhiking this topic, but about the buffer: Alex, which basic Seachem Buffer are you talking about exactly?

Another buffer that I found works decently is the API perfect pH 8.2 for Chichlids, as mentioned by ashlee18. You just use it at a lower dosage (add 1 measure per 20gallons instead of 10 gallons) so it doesn't bring the pH up over 7.4 - 7.6. The only downside to this stuff is that unlike the Gold Buffer, it is a pain to dissolve.

hun. if you Email me your addy. I could send you some Buff it up, or We can meet some where... (Beaverton area...dont know Portland). I can give you some. I got alot :lol

Also, when it starts to rain hard here, you got to use the Buffer's. When I first moved up here, the ph was fine. Started to rain and it fell hard and all my fish got the white slime coat to them...After that I put buffer in the tank every other water change and I also have crushed coral. The coral is my stabilizer :thumb:

Sorry for hitchhiking this topic, but about the buffer: Alex, which basic Seachem Buffer are you talking about exactly?

Another buffer that I found works decently is the API perfect pH 8.2 for Chichlids, as mentioned by ashlee18. You just use it at a lower dosage (add 1 measure per 20gallons instead of 10 gallons) so it doesn't bring the pH up over 7.4 - 7.6. The only downside to this stuff is that unlike the Gold Buffer, it is a pain to dissolve.

Dang now I got to remember three buffers :yikes JK :lol

LOL!

I also want to take back the comment about it not dissolving easily. As the genius I am, I haven't tried dissolving it in hot water yet. In just a cup of hot tap water it will dissolve very quickly with a little bit of stirring :D

LOL!

I also want to take back the comment about it not dissolving easily. As the genius I am, I haven't tried dissolving it in hot water yet. In just a cup of hot tap water it will dissolve very quickly with a little bit of stirring :D

Thats why we love ya Fang :lol:hug