Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Ammonia remover

It looks like I've had a small cycle bump because for the past week my ammonia has been 0-0.25 ppm (testing it every day). My nitrites have stayed at 0 ppm though.

I have fluval ammonia remover but I want to know if it will remove ammonia so fast that the good bacteria won't be able to consume any and then die - this would obviously do more harm than good. Has anyone used ammonia removers before while still maintaining their bacterial colonies?

I have not, but I'm curious as to why you want to use the remover. At that concentration, very little of it is actually toxic (depending on pH). So, I would just add Prime to detoxify, while retaining all that available ammonia to strengthen & stabilize the cycle.

I don't know about the fluval ammonia remover specifically, but I would guess that all ammonia removers work pretty much the same.

Meaning that by using these things, you might actually make the situation worse, taking away the available ammonia from the BBs and starving them, leading to an even bigger cycle bump.

Instead, I would do a few additional water changes OR nutrafin cycle and prime. I just had a cycle bump in my teles tub after changing filters, reading somewhere between 0.25 and 0.5ppm ammonia. I did a big W/C and a double dose prime. Added 25ml cycle per 10 gallons for the next three days, and double dosed prime every 24 hours. No w/c so the cycle product can settle and establish.

Now there is 0 ammonia again :)

That's at least how it worked for me in my tub :)

Thank you for your replies. I know the ammonia level is relatively low but my pH is around 8-8.1 and I know that ammonia is more toxic at higher pH. I have actually been using nutrafin and prime as well. I have been using a single dose of prime every 24 hours, though. The bottle says that at the single dose concentration it detoxifies 1 ppm ammonia, so I thought it would be enough. Should I be using a double dose instead?