My Tanks. :)

Aluyasha

I took some pictures of my tanks to show everyone.

First is a 14g Livebearer tank that has 3 adult Platies, 7 Platy fry, 1 adult Molly, and 1 Molly fry.

DSCF3943.jpg

Then my 30g with 2 single-tail Goldfish, Pacer and Pushy (They are both rescues, the male came with the tank and the female was basically dumped off).

DSCF3945.jpg

Two days ago I found this great tank on Craigslist, it is a 50g with stand, hood/lights, filter, gravel, background, and large log decor, all for $100! It will be Pacer and Pushy's new home once it is ready.

DSCF3946.jpg

(The stand has shelves, I flipped it around so my cats could not get in it. lol)

• Admin

Congrats on the new tank!

I think I've seen that decoration at Petsmart. I was very drawn to it but I think it is hollow . . . be careful with that!

Thats what worries me too :(

I checked out both logs and the one in the 29g is hollow but has no holes besides the ones at the bottom. And the one in the 50g is also hollow but has small holes that the goldfish cannot even fit a fin in.

Why is hollow bad?

I think because bad bacteria can grow in them, but I also think it you put a bubble stone in there, it will prevent it from happening? Hopefully someone will say if that is wrong or right.

You don't want uncirculated water in a goldfish tank. The uncirculating water is a good place for bad bacteria to grow. I would suggest taking out the log/root out of the goldfish tank. Let it dry (inside too) and then fill it with sand or gravel (so it will sink). Then just seal the holes with aquarium silicone. Do the same thing with the new craigslist roots (I have the same one and it is very hollow). Be sure to seal up every hole because if water can get in, then you have to start over.

Those pieces are very nice so it's worth the work.

Also, notice how the vase is very open, water can move through and carry oxygen so bad bacteria can't grow (they don't like oxygenated water).

Last of all, nice tanks! Soon you will be trying live plants! :D

Good Luck!

I agree....I had a hollow bridge a while back that made my fish sick, and might have contributed to one dying. I took it out, and my fish have never been so happy. It was in there for several months before it caused problems.

Edited by Summer4

• Admin
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Unfortnately my landlord visted me a few days ago and when she saw the 50g she told me it was too big. :/

So it looks like my fish are staying in the 30g for now. Good news though is I am going to give the 50g to my mom for her Goldies. :)

Edited by Aluyasha

Thanks!

Unfortnately my landlord visted me a few days ago and when she saw the 50g she told me it was too big. :/

So it looks like my fish are staying in the 30g for now. Good news though is I am going to give the 50g to my mom for her Goldies. :)

What a shame! At least your mom gets to benefit the new tank, she must be thrilled.

• 3 weeks later...