Sign in to follow this  
Monkey87

REPLACING GRAVEL ESTABLISHED TANK!

Hey guys i was wondering about changing my gravel!!!... i was wondering if there was a "safe" way of doing it... what if i dont COMPLETELY change all of my gravel but say, take half out and replace with new gravel... leaving approx 50% new and 50% old gravel... reason for changing, is i would like a not so bright gravel color and moving to a soft neutral color or black! THANKSM FOR THE INPUT! :)

You definitly want to take the old out in stages... However, if you add new before you've removed all the old, you stand a VERY good chance of missing some... and it driving you nuts later if you're that kind of person (I am!). I'd recommend removing the old stuff over the course of 4 weeks or so... that way you minimize any impact this might have on your biological filter, and then, once ALL the old is out, you can add the new all at once. Make sure you rinse the new stuff really well, but unless it has something nasty on it, there's no reason to introduce it piecemeal.

^ agreed :)

I would remove about 25% a week until it is all gone, then add the new

well this is the thing... i dont mind having like 50% of the old stuff underneath the new stuff.... that way it will mostly be covered by the new stuff.. and also not completely remove all the good stuff in the gravel... make sense? and the old stuff will be underneath anyways.. so i dont mind having it a LITTLE visible.. can i just remove 50% of the gravel one day.. then wait a couple of weeks.. and then add the new stuff over top?? :D

well this is the thing... i dont mind having like 50% of the old stuff underneath the new stuff.... that way it will mostly be covered by the new stuff.. and also not completely remove all the good stuff in the gravel... make sense? and the old stuff will be underneath anyways.. so i dont mind having it a LITTLE visible.. can i just remove 50% of the gravel one day.. then wait a couple of weeks.. and then add the new stuff over top?? :D

My understanding is that any BB's that are in your gravel will be on the top layer of it (because they get the most flow/oxygen that they require to colonize). If you're going to wait a couple weeks anyway, I would remove the 50% a little slower (25% one day, wait a week, then another 25% and add the new gravel, it really may not matter either way if you remove it in a big chunk or not, but it's always good to play it safe). Whatever you choose to do, just keep a close eye on the water parameters after you do it just in case you do get a cycle bump :)

When I replaced my gravel, I just took out a handfull a day and soon it was gone.

If you leave a bottom layer, it is just going to be mixed in with the top layer once you do tank cleanings and when the goldfish root around, so just get it all out first.

once you go through one cleaning with your gravel vacuum it will all be mixed together and thats not what you want. I would remove it all 25% at a time, like the others mentioned

yeah i think i might just leave it... too much work.. and i have lots of plants too... im just gonna stick it out with the ugly pink ,yellow and blue gravel.. LOL!!