Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Is there such a thing as too much filter for an aquarium?

So here's my dilemma. I bought a 56 gallon tank and am looking to put 3-4 fancy goldfish in it. I've read and heard that for goldfish the recommended guideline for amount of filtration needed is tank size x10 per hour. So for my 56 gallon tank I should have a filter or filters that filter 560 gallons per hour.

I would like to either do this with one filter or break up the work to two filters and get the added benefit of if one fails the other one will serve as back up while I get the problem fixed.

I was looking at the Fluval FX5 External canister filter seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000I1O2PK

It is big enough for the aforementioned filtration per hour but I'm worried it might be a big too powerful for the aquarium and the current too strong. Any thoughts or opinions would be great. I'm piecing this aquarium together bit by bit months in advance. I want it to be as perfect as possible for my future companions. Thank you so much for your input.

The FX5 in my opinion is way too strong for the 55g. A friend of mine has it for her 75g, and the current already is too strong without modification.

May I suggest this instead? Get the Fluval 405 and an AquaClear 70. That will put you over the 10x recommendation, and the combo of canister/HOB will give you a back up and also plenty of media space.

I say go for it :) that way, if you upgrade, you won't need to buy lots of bigger filters.

You can turn down the flow on the fx5. I have 2 on my tank and big butterflies. The butterflies have no problems with the full output and neither do the small fish.

The FX5 in my opinion is way too strong for the 55g. A friend of mine has it for her 75g, and the current already is too strong without modification.

May I suggest this instead? Get the Fluval 405 and an AquaClear 70. That will put you over the 10x recommendation, and the combo of canister/HOB will give you a back up and also plenty of media space.

I might end up doing just that. My girlfriend wants me to not get a HOB filter for aesthetic reasons, but buying 2 canister filters seems harder to clean and way more pricey. Is fluval a good brand for canisters? I've never used canister filters before. And what is your thoughts on the aquaclear vs something like the penguin biowheel?

I say go for it :) that way, if you upgrade, you won't need to buy lots of bigger filters.

You can turn down the flow on the fx5. I have 2 on my tank and big butterflies. The butterflies have no problems with the full output and neither do the small fish.

How big is your tank ashlee18?

In general, AquaClears are thought to be very sturdy, quiet, and very efficient hang on back filters. I like them much better than the biowheels personally, although I cannot say that the biowheels are bad.

As far as canisters go, two brands that are often praised are Eheims & Fluvals. You can't really go wrong with these :)

:oops: Ashley, had I clicked your link I would have seen how big your aquarium was! :)santa On the fx5 how do you adjust the flow? Is it as simple as a dial or would I have to jerry rig it? :locked:

I point the output towards the glass first. Then there is a dial on both the output and input. You can just turn these to reduce the flow. It is super easy.

Thanks everyone for your input. I need to sleep on it. I'll let you know what I decide.

So a small update on the floval fx5. I sent an email to the company asking what their thoughts were and whoever emailed me said it might be a bit too powerful. :undecided: So rather than chance it and have to send the thing back if I don't like it and try to get a refund, I will go with the floval 406 and get a HOB filter until such time I can afford a second one.

Got the floval 406 today. I'll set it up sometime next week (hopefully) and start growing some BB :)

I too would recommend AquaClear for an HOB, if that's what you are planning to get. They are great, but I don't think they are the quietest. The lids rattle. In my living room, I too the annoying lid off.

i have had 2 of each: Aqua clear, aqueon, and tetra whisper (all hob). My experience is that:

the aquaclear are not very quiet, kinda reliable i had one break, but have a lot of space for media

Tetra whispers are almost mute, but have less room for media. They seem to fall apart the easiest on me. Cheaply made last year.

Aqueon filters have a decent amount of room, they are moderately quiet, and seem to be the most reliable. This is the only HOB that i have not had something break on

I have a penguin on my 10 gallon and I like it, it is quiet. We will see.

I have Emperor's on my tank. The 400 I've have for probably 4 years without a problem. I agree that HOBs aren't the most aesthetically pleasing filters but they are sooooo easy as far as maintenance.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the new set up!

This may controversial... but here goes.

If the water is clear (visually), tank not overstocked, regular water changes (nitrates under control), ammonia and nitrites, under control, does additional filteration really matter.

Does a cannister filter costing a lot (as compared to HOB's) really add value if the parameters are under control?

Its not like one can get -ve ammonia or -ve nitrites with additional filteration.

Maybe if somebody wants some leeway with overstocking or water changes these filters might add value.

Isn't it a matter of math (ammonia, nitrites)?

Edited by rhorizon74

This may controversial... but here goes.

If the water is clear (visually), tank not overstocked, regular water changes (nitrates under control), ammonia and nitrites, under control, does additional filteration really matter.

Does a cannister filter costing a lot (as compared to HOB's) really add value if the parameters are under control?

Its not like one can get -ve ammonia or -ve nitrites with additional filteration.

Maybe if somebody wants some leeway with overstocking or water changes these filters might add value.

Isn't it a matter of math (ammonia, nitrites)?

I agree with you, the intent behind this post was to find out if the canister in question was too big for my aquarium. Was i "bringing a missle launcher to kill a rabbit" so to speak, and cause undue sress on my fish with current because of the size of the canister filter.

I fell in love with the fancies, i find watching them very relaxing. I want my aquarium to be as asthetically pleasing as well as provide the best environment for those fish as possible.

I have a 37 gallon with a tofin 40 filter. Should i upgrade to a aqua clear 50? My water stays clear but not sure its filtering my water as it should be filtered. :) I have 3 goldfish.

You could also get a second filter to put on. As long as you are filtering 370 gallons per hour (tank size 37, times 10) you should be fine, your tank might be sslightly over stocked so the extra filtration will help. From what i have read and heard, depending on the goldfish, they recommend 20 gallons for the first fish and ten for each additional.

I have both ACs and Emperor Biowheels. The ACs are much quieter than the biowheels, all of my biowheels make a lot of noise. I am planning to phase them out the next time I see a good sale on ACs. The only thing I don't like about them and maybe someone can give a suggestion, but I can't seem to find extension tubes to go to the bottom of the tank for the ACs.

I have both ACs and Emperor Biowheels. The ACs are much quieter than the biowheels, all of my biowheels make a lot of noise. I am planning to phase them out the next time I see a good sale on ACs. The only thing I don't like about them and maybe someone can give a suggestion, but I can't seem to find extension tubes to go to the bottom of the tank for the ACs.

Here's where I got my extension :)http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-Extension-Tube-Power-Filters/sim/B0002563K4/2

Also, you should check amazon for the AC's, the prices are better than I have ever seen in a store.

Thank y'all so much :) i have been wondering about if i was overstocked. I Will get a larger filter.

Me to this is why I have nothing but AC.... Oh main I was just cleaning out my stuff and had 2 extender tubes.... What model is yours. I could look and see if I still have some :thumb:

Well I have a Aquaclear 30 power filter on the way! Added to my Topfin 40 filter I will be doing 350 GPH! I know it was suggested 370 GPH but hopefully 350 GPH will be good :)

Well I have a Update :clapping: I received my Aquaclear 30 Power Filter today! :no: But the impeller was broke...boooo. So I am returning that! Went ahead and drove to Petsmart and purchased a Aquaclear 50 Power Filter! :clapping: I just put it in my aquarium. Funny thing is that the Aquarclear 30 pumps 200 GPH and so does the 50. Hope this will make my Goldfish happy :carrot: