Valentine's day gift

number20121

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again! :)

He/she is SUPER precious! Stunted or not he has a nice body shape :)

Yep, but that is what makes me wonder about stunting a bit. Like I said, he's so tiny. Maybe 3 or 3,5 cm, but look at the head/body ratio (just like Blondie he is almost half head, half body) and that insanely big tail that is just as long as his body.

But yaaaaaay now I got my own headfish! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Goldeen is a Petsmart ryukin, and he has an insanely big tail, and he is not stunted. Maybe Elliot and Goldeen are cousins. ;)

Happy for you! Its not too late! I bet Elliot will still grow under your care. Perhaps its time to upgrade to a 200 gallon tank!! Haha.

I know! I'm like the crazy craigslist fish-tank-ad-stalker for my area :rofl

Hahaha. Hopefully, that would be enough to satisfy your fish appetite! My dream is for my future house to have a 'built in the wall' 200 gallon tank that I can see from both sides. :D

Hoping for more pictures of Elliot when he enters your main tank! Your pet shops there in the US seem to be more well maintained. I keep hearing stories here in the forums of fancies that people want but couldn't get that have been in the pet shops for months, or even years! Whenever I go to our pet shops here and see a bunch of fish, a month later, its a whole different stock! And I refuse to believe they were able to sell all of those goldfish in that time span therefore, I assume that they all died from poor care. :(

Well, a lot of chain stores here have horrible care for their fish. There is a good reason why Petsmart and PetCo are actually NOT liked by a lot of fish lovers, because in many stores the fish are in terrible condition. I have seen that myself in a few stores up in North Carolina, many of their fish (not only feeders) were sick. Fungus, velvet, bleeding ulcers, anchor worms, ick, injuries, sores... Even dead fish that obviously have been in the tank for days. One time at one of these stores they had a pearlie tank, and thre were several pieces of algae wafer on the bottom of the tank that were covered in a 2cm thick layer of fungus, because no one takes care of the tanks. It is really sad.

I am just lucky that the Petsmart in my town takes such excellent care of their fish. Most of the people that work in the fish department are aquarists themselves and they will start talking to you about their own fish, your fish etc. They usually also try to educate new fish owners and I have seen several times how they actually talked people out of buying inproper setups for fish. Just the other day that girl talked this customer out of getting a half gallon "betta home", and instead got her to buy a plain 2.5 gallon tank, which actually costs less than this tacky looking betta setup.

Because of that, I am comfortable buying "cheap" fish at this store. Even if the fish are crowded - which is not the store's fault. I was told they do not order, but they don't even know which and how many fish they get at each delivery. They have absolutely no control over the number of fish they have to have in their tanks - and experience stunting if they are at the store for a longer time; other than that they are usually in perfect health. Never even saw ick at that store, and I shop there for four years now! :)

Happy for you! Its not too late! I bet Elliot will still grow under your care. Perhaps its time to upgrade to a 200 gallon tank!! Haha.

I know! I'm like the crazy craigslist fish-tank-ad-stalker for my area :rofl

hehehe I can relate to that.

Even dead fish that obviously have been in the tank for days.

I hate that the most. How hard is it to just remove the body to make sure it doesn't worsen the water quality? Or to just change water regularly knowing the fish are getting sick.

Because of that, I am comfortable buying "cheap" fish at this store. Even if the fish are crowded - which is not the store's fault. I was told they do not order, but they don't even know which and how many fish they get at each delivery. They have absolutely no control over the number of fish they have to have in their tanks - and experience stunting if they are at the store for a longer time; other than that they are usually in perfect health. Never even saw ick at that store, and I shop there for four years now! :)

Four years huh? Well I'd say that's a very good record. Good job to your Petsmart!

And Fang, I remember when I was new to the forums that I read you saying you've always wanted a ryukin and hoped that Vanille was one except that she pleasantly turned out to be a fantail or hybrid, and now you finally have one! :D