Sign in to follow this  
haley_tichonuk22

Calling all you green thumbs!

Well over the last abut week and a half, my Banana plant, which has been doing really great in te betta tank started turning brown. Not the leaves, they look fine, just the banana looking root things (no idea what they are called haha). I'll take a picture when I get home from work to show you guys. The only thing I can think of that I have done differently is to add excel flourish but I have been adding that for about a month now and the root things only started browning about a week and a half ago....

But yeah, if any of you have any idea what this means I would so appreciate your help. I like this plant!

that happened to mine after about 6 months. I am pretty sure mine died. I think salt also contributed to killing mine... just my 2 cents as i am not the expert

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong... but this is my best thought...

The plants many aquarists commonly call "Banana plants" are actually a type of water lily. Many species of water lily have a required "hibernation" period, though I am not certain if the banana plant is among them. If the brown sections are soft or squishy, remove them as this means they are definitly dead. If they are still firm (like squeezing a whole orange, or even harder) then this could just mean your plant needs to hibernate, and you'll need to do a bit of research on how to help it through this part of its life cycle.

Since your leaves are still healthy looking, MY best GUESS (without seeing it) is that you have some sections that are dying off and need to be removed.

The wierd thing is that they arent't squishy though, they are very hard like they should be. A couple leaves did die off but there is still some nice green ones on there. Maybe it will continue to lose leaves though, which then I'll know it is hibernating I guess haha. I will take a picture when I get home just to show everybody what I mean

Ok, judging by the looks of your plant, my best guess is one of two things:

1. You may not have enough light. How long have you had the plant in that tank? What kind of lighting does it recieve, and how old is your bulb (if any)?

2. It could be a natural color change. Some banana plants develop red/brown spots or splotches on both roots (the "bananas") and leaves. You might have one of these.

Since ALL of the brown is developing on the same sides of the bananas, like a shadow, I'm more suspect of your lighting... Either way, I'm 90% sure this is a light related issue (either too much, or not enough). When you first noticed this color change, where was it in relation to any lighting the tank gets? Did it develop on top (from tank lighting), bottom (lack of light), or maybe on a side (natural light from a window possibly)?

The banana-shaped roots of this plant should be planted no more than 1/4 of their length. Plant them by gently pressing them into the substrate. The Banana Plant should be provided with a minimum of 2 watts per gallon of light within the spectrum of 5000 to 7000K. The ideal water conditions for best results are a temperature of 68°-82°F, an alkalinity of 3 - 6 dKH and a pH of 6.0-7.2..........

I have had it for about six months now. I don't have a light fixture on the tank, my two small tanks are underneath and overhead cabinet whic is a foot from the top of the tanks with a 50 watt bulb which is very new. It is forming on the tops of the roots so I really don't know what that means.... I highly doubt it is too much light because I don't have the light one for what I think would be enough time each day because our power bill is so high :S

I don't know, never been much of a botanist. It's possible the plant could be sick but I don't know.

u are lacking light.... im almost 100%...this is a light loving plant! even temperature should be in the ideal zone.. reads my before post... u need also about 2w per gallon of light...

n probably nutrients.. :)

Well I will try to keep the light on longer. Everyone in my house shuts it off though because of the stupid power bill. Ugh lol

Yep, as stated, this has got to be a light issue... Talk to your family, remind them that plants die without light. Try to make sure it gets at LEAST 8hrs a day, preferably more like 12-14 though. If the light above your tank is far enough away from the water surface that you don't need to worry about water getting to it and causing a short, remove any cover it might have. If there's plastic between your plant and the light, the plastic WILL filter out parts of the spectrum it needs to survive. If you manage to acomplish all this, and it still seems to be struggling, see if you can replace that bulb with a plant specific one... not all flourescents are created equal when it comes to growing plants, and many "cheap" ones, or just the standard ones you buy to see by, don't provide the right parts of the spectrum for your plant to live off of... just because you can see your plant well, doesn't mean it's getting the kind of light it needs to thrive.

If you need more help with what sort of lighting your plant needs (after you manage to get the light on for a decent length of time), I'll be happy to help yoou more. I've been looking into lighting lately and doing a lot of research, and I've learned a LOT! I love to share what I know and help out others ;)

Yeah I talked to my dad and he said if I give him 20 bucks a month I can turn it on more. I"m fine with that... still cheaper than moving out hahaha. Hopefully he keeps that promis. He thinks 2 hours of light is excessive. He just refuses to listen to anything I tell him about aquariums because apparently he know everything. UGH. Well anyways I will try my hardest. If not, I guess I will have to stick with the plants I have that work with the very low light

:carrot: lol!! yeah minimum 10hrs of light give him some extra $$$ and he'll be fine! :D tell him you are trying to be a "responsible" aquarium owner and hes not letting you.. LMAO!! see if he doesnt change his mind! LOL.. anyways good luck! :):carrot: Edited by Monkey87