Sign in to follow this  
Guest PeachesCat

Flukes

Guest PeachesCat

When I first got Spot and Rooty, they had a jerking motion the first day that Rick from Goldfish Connection diagnosed as Flukes. I ordered medication from him and should be getting it shortly.

However, since Saturday (I got the fish on Friday), there are no jerking motions and everything is fine.

Do I still treat them for Flukes? I was told that the medication won't hurt the fish if it isn't Flukes.

What exactly is Flukes anyway? The only Flukes I know is a fish or the Mets winning a game! :rofl

Flukes are parasites and there are lots of different types - liver flukes, gill flukes, eye flukes, skin flukes etc. .

If the fish have stopped twitching and jerking and they seem fine then no, I wouldn't treat them with fluke meds. They may just have been stressed by the journey and the new water chemistry. Regardless of what you were told, these can actually be pretty harsh meds so if it isn't absolutely essential to use them it's best not to. If the fish start twitching again though then definitely use them.

HTH. :)

If you got Prazi for the flukes, then yes, treat anyway. Esepecially if you don't have a microscope to biopsy the fish, treating for flukes - because they are so incredibly common - is a good precaution, and prazi is a very gentle med, so there is little to no chance of your fish being harmed.

:)

I bow to the expert! :lol:

Nice to see you again Happy - we've missed you the last few days. :)