Sign in to follow this  
miss_mystra

A very long story about 2 orandas...

Im so sorry :(.

I'm so sorry :(

thank you for your kind words.

Pedro is currently obsessing with the air curtain. He'll lie over it breathing in lots, then attempt to swim about. He's really trying bless him the little trooper.

Trouble is last night Precious was sat on the air curtain and making the most of those bubbles last night, so i hold little hope. Although i should have taken a last photo of her, she looked like she was meditating in a very yoga-esque position! Head upwards, tail splayed over the floor and she sort of 'sat' on the rock that weighs one end down. A funny little memory, even if she was doing it because f her sickness.

aaww hun. i never expected to wake and read this sad news :( i am so sorry :( :(

I'm So very Sorry you lost precious :( I do hope your able to save Pedro soon :) Hang in there your doing all you can :) Sending healing vibes and virtual hugs your way :)

aaww hun. i never expected to wake and read this sad news :( i am so sorry :( :(

So sorry to hear your sad news :(

I'm So very Sorry you lost precious :( I do hope your able to save Pedro soon :) Hang in there your doing all you can :) Sending healing vibes and virtual hugs your way :)

thanks everyone, such nice words :)

Pedro's not looking great this morning, i've hardly slept. I guess time will tell. Going to do a water change/test tonight, and try the epsom salts thing if he seems strong enough, don't want to sres him out if he's already stressed/struggling etc

I really didn't expect Precious to die. She's only been ill recently... somehow Pedro survives everything, i don't know how he does it! He's been in a bad state for 5 months but still manages to outlive a stronger fish, he must be armour plated inside!

well i have just dropped her off at the vets to be cremated. The lady was ever so nice, i thought they'd think i was a nut! and at least it didn't cost too much either.

Not very nice but the box she was in was see through (a sandwich box which we laid down kitchen tissue in and sealed up) but the bottom was soaked with blood. Don't know if that's useful info, or maybe's that's normal.

Pedro wasn't hugely active this morning, but he's never been a morning fishperson.

if there is blood coming out after the fish has died, i would suspect an internal infection/bacteria :(

if there is blood coming out after the fish has died, i would suspect an internal infection/bacteria :(

thanks that's good to know in a way. I don't know where the blood was coming from as i couldn't see into the box, and couldn't face opening it again (and no doubt it would smell awful too) but the paper towel lining the bottom was soaked.

Looks like what was going on externally was a secondary thing, the real problem was inside, and explains the quick deterioration too i guess. or perhaps the rotting of the fins let in bacteria which attacked her from the inside in the late stages.

what's the update on pedro?

do you want to update us with water parameters?

what's the update on pedro?

do you want to update us with water parameters?

yeah, sorry i was too upset last night to do it.

Will post results when i get home as i'm still at work, which will be too late for most of you because of time differences :s

In himself he seemed about the same, externally no sign of the full on fin rot that Precious had, and the fungal looking stuff on his head looks the same also. still upside down on a tilt at the bottom, with the odd mad somersault and attempt at swimming upright then getting tired and landing back on the bottom of the tank. Lots of soft moss balls for him to land on at least

Edited by miss_mystra

it's ok hun.. take your time.. we all know how upsetting it is to lose a fish :( unfortunately most, if not all of us have been there more than once :(

it's ok hun.. take your time.. we all know how upsetting it is to lose a fish :( unfortunately most, if not all of us have been there more than once :(

it's so sad, one small mistake can cost you your pet.

to top it all off i just had some packages arrive at work, more melafix and pimafix... ah well. Just hope Pedro is still with us when i get home in a couple hours

it's so sad, one small mistake can cost you your pet.

to top it all off i just had some packages arrive at work, more melafix and pimafix...

i know hun.. i'd been waiting on some custom made tanks to arrive, finally, the day they did, my darling fish passed away :( she never made it into her new home :(

ah well. Just hope Pedro is still with us when i get home in a couple hours

we've all got our fingers crossed that he's still with us too..

I'm so sorry that these things are happening :(

When you get home, if you could update us with parameters and conditions, that will be fantastic!

Fins crossed! :)

ok, he's still with his, and nothing has changed. Short bursts of activity, then tilted upside down at the bottom mostly. Still aware, ie eyes moving about to look etc.

Water test

NitrAte - 80-100

Nitrite - 0 (hooray)

Ammonia - 0.25 (not surprising as there was of course a dead fish in there for who knows how long)

ph - 7.5

Going to do a big water change to ease the ammonia, then attempt to syringe feed the pea/epsom salt mix

water change complete, did about 90% and i'm exhausted !

Followed the recipe, and fed Pedro the pea/epsom salt mix via syringe, i don't think he was a fan, and like you said in the video stakos... he spat most of it out! but hopefully some of it has got into his belly, see if it helps the bloating.

well just got up for the morning. Pedro is upside down tilted as usual, but looking very 'slow'. Fins aren't fully clamped but not far off. He's just nestled and surrounded by moss balls !

He looks like he did before i started reducing the water level in the past month.

i tested the water last night after the water change, just for ammonia and nitrates, ammonia was still not 0, it was a lot less than 0.25, but still had that more neon yellow look about it than when its 0 and normal shade of yellow

The nitrates were around 12.5-25ppm sort of colours, in between.

I don't know what to do next when i get home tonight. :(

he's woken up a bit (LOL i'm going to be late for work)

done a few attempts at somersaulting and swimming then crash back down as before. In fact it seems like he's struggling a little more now.

Also, his tail is looking a bit red and raw at the base, here are some pictures, sorry they aren't great. Precious' tail was reddening at the base like this before she died :(

SAM_0716.jpg

SAM_0715.jpg

SAM_0714.jpg

still at work, but feel like i'm preparing for the worst :(

i went and bought some clove oil, i'd rather have it, than make the decision and not have it when the time comes - it will just make it worse. Who knows i may not have to use it.

i've hardly done any work for worrying :( and no-one here understands, to most people they are just fish...

i guess i will know when the time is right. I was talking to my Mum last night about it. She thinks it must be worse in a way having to do it yourself, unlike a dog/cat etc which you can take to the vets, but her words were if she had a dog that was unable to walk properly, and lost it's appetite etc.. then it would be time. But even she said she knows in her gut rather than the physical factors - easier to tell when a dog has given up than a fish, even an expressive fish like Pedro i can't decide... i'm sorry to say if he goes then i will not be continuing to keep fish. I already have a home lined up for the weather loach with a lovely lady up north, who already has two and adores them, i know her through a snake forum and she's happy to have him if she can get him up there. I'd happily fork out the money to see him go to a happy home. I think without Pedro, and with everything that's happened, myheart wouldn't be in it to get any more fish, and the loach is best off in a community with other loaches... i planned on getting another but obviously Pedro's issues put a stop to those plans. Seems silly to be planning out all this while my buddy is still alive but i'd rather be prepared, life for the other fish must go on and i must do my best for them as i have Pedro.

He must be so sad without Precious too... they were like an old married couple... they pretended to not like each other but if you could catch them snuggling up to each other when they though no-one is watching! She used to nuzzle Pedro round the tank and encourage him to swim when i took it to a lower level to ease the pressure, nearly made me cry it was so sweet!

Excuse my many posts and ramblings :s

at home now, he's very quiet. the odd fin wave/stretch and the odd movement looking round with his eyes. when he breathes, it seems like a jolt not a massive jolt but jolty all the same.

water tests

ph 7.5

ammonia same as last night in between 0 and 0.25, so i'd say 0.12, so at least that hasn't gone up!

nitrIte 0

NitrAte 35 roughly, it's in the middle of 25 and 50 on the colours. So there is a slight increase from after the wc last night.

he just tried to do a swim/somersault, but crashed head first luckily into a bed off moss balls, now he's just resting on top, at least he's comfortable :(

what should i do? i don't feel right stressing him out with a huge water change like last night? would just 50% be ok?

He hasn't pooped either by the looks of things, how long would it take the mix to work its way through from about 22 hours ago?

ok, i'm almost through doing an 80% WC... he was looking stressed so i'm having a break, just about 30L more to put back.

He just looks so dreadful, it's making me very upset :( his tail is mainly streaked with blood vessels now.

Can anybody advise of anything to do? :( i feel a bit lost i'm afraid.

hun.. that snail that is next to him in the photos. is it alive?

i would keep feeding him like that until he poops to be honest. he may not have received enough epsom for his body size. thoughts are, prehaps this time to not crush it so finely. when a fish is well but not pooping, ie, heavily contipated, we don't crush the epsom, we just insert it into a pea and the fish consumes it whole. if pedro hasn't eaten enough of the pea, then not enough epsom has got into his system. is he moving less and less?

50% water change will do just fine.

don't you worry about how many times you post here, your thoughts on the matter are more than welcome and we're here for support to you as well as your fish. we know very well exactly what you're going through.