Sign in to follow this  
ilovefantails

gravel sterilizing

hi everyone! long time no see! I've just come to post about my black (painted) gravel. It has been left outside, unsheltered for the best part of six months as I went barebottom, but now I would like to put it back in the tank. I was wondering how I should go about sterilizing it- or would it be best to buy new gravel?

I'm having a trip to lfs today to get some new decorations (tank has been bare except one plant pot- all plants in there died) so hopefully it will look nice and pretty!

thanks guys!

PS- just realized it has been almost a year since I joined! :P

I would buy new gravel! :)

You could boil it for a good long time, but I'd be more inclined to buy new gravel as well!

You could indeed boil it. A rolling boil for 10 minutes will kill everything, and at 12 years old I bet money is tight and that would be your cheapest option :)

thanks guys, I think I shall boil. when I went to sea pets (small british chain) I saw some ryukins! £30.50 each though for the large ones, so i decided not to. There was a calico one which I would of bought if it wasnt so much money! also I saw a tank full of baby ryukins, about half of them calico. I would of bought one but they were all sick. In the queue to pay, in front of me there was a family with a girl who looked about four. I saw they had bought two of the baby ryukins and had some spongebob decorations. Those poor fish won't last long- doubt they have a large tank :(

Anyway, Thanks guys!

PS- the tank literally was bare apart from a manky plant pot, so I bought decs and that came to about £46, so I dedcided not to get any gravel. (sorry the computer has just gone into italics mode and I dont know how to get it off.)

Are you sure the boiling water wouldn't make the paint on the gravel peel?

Edited by ilovefantails