How can I get my fishes to grow, grow, GROW! ?

pandamanda111

Hi there!

In case you don't know me, I'm Mandie and I have two little ryukin goldfish in a 25 gallon tank. They are very cute little guys, and I would love to get them big and beautiful!

You can see them in my signature. Bert is the orange-spotted one, and he is close to two inches (about 1 1/5 inches). Ernie is the red-spotted one, and he is about 1 1/2 inches. My goal is to get them to 3 inches by the end of 2012! :)

Here is their current feeding schedule:

-10 omega one pellets 2x daily from Sunday to Friday (they each get 5, i am very even with their food! ;) )

-3 to four cooked, shelled peas in the morning on Saturday, 10 pellets in the evening.

-Romaine lettuce about 2x a week

-An orange slice every once-in-a-while.

:)

Any advice would be fabulous. If bloodworms are absolutely necessary (ewwwww ;) ), then i guess I'm willing to try it, but i refuse to feed them live ones. That gives me the heeby-jeebies ;) Does petsmart sell the frozen kind? How often should I feed bloodworms if they are a must?

I would really appreciate and advice you can give me, and if you would like to suggest a new feeding schedule, I'm pretty easygoing, just no live food :) I'm open to pretty much anything BUT that. ;)

Are there any other things I should know to get the guys to grow?

Thanks in advance!

-Mandie :)

edit- in the title i meant FISHIES not FISHES, stupid autocorrect ;)

Edited by pandamanda111

Think about it like this: if you eat a lettuce, or a hamburger, which one is going to make you bigger? It would be the hamburger:) don't feed them maccas though....that would not be a pretty site haha. All you need to do is give them plenty of growing space (which you have) and feed high in protein food such as (sorry) bloodworms and brine shrimp about once a week. Give them a highly nutritious pellet or granule formula 5x a week throughout the day so they get the best out of the food. Since they are grazers, it is always best to split meals up throughout the day so they get the full benefits of the food nutrients. Give them fresh veges (blanched or steamed) at least 3x a week and leave one day a week for laxative food such as spinach or peas to reduce the risk of swim bladder issues. You can fast them for one day a week if you wish too- this helps but is not really needed to have healthy fish (personal choice- it does not harm the fish at all)

Growing is one of those things that does take quite some time and patience is involved. The best thing to do is give them a very healthy, varied diet and give them space to grow. With Ryukins, you will have to upgrade the tank eventually depending on how fast they grow. This could take three or four years until you need to upgrade but judge it by eye :)

all the best with your fishies!

EDIT: Blood worms are just as good frozen as they are live and I also buy frozen since live ones creep me out haha! They aren't essential, but anything that is good for them will just improve their health- your choice :) Any high in protein foods will help them to grow :) Try progold as I have also heard that it really does make them grow like weeds :P

EDIT: Blood worms are just as good frozen as they are live and I also buy frozen since live ones creep me out haha! They aren't essential, but anything that is good for them will just improve their health- your choice :) Any high in protein foods will help them to grow :) Try progold as I have also heard that it really does make them grow like weeds :P

All live foods are to be treated with caution, because of the risk of parasites, unless you: 1) raise the live foods yourself or 2) you can truly trust the source of the live foods. Caution is the best exercise here.

All live foods are to be treated with caution, because of the risk of parasites, unless you: 1) raise the live foods yourself or 2) you can truly trust the source of the live foods. Caution is the best exercise here.

Uh oh...

So where should I get it??

Maybe try progold? I got one of my ryukins late last year and he has exploded in growth. He went from 1.5 inches to 3 in about 3-4 months. He is as big as my 2 year old ryukin already.

Is progold color enhancing? I really love Ernie's color :(

Does progold have enough protein that shrimp/bloodworms aren't needed? My mom is okay with buying it if I use my own money. How long does it stay good for?

(lots of questions!! ;) )

Edited by pandamanda111

my personal preference with bloodworms is the Tetra Delica sachets, because the gel they're in means they don't cloud up the water, unlike the frozen daphnia I have! I'm not sure if people would recommend the Tetra Delica sachets since they have additives (vitamins etc) in, which aren't "natural", but I quite like them because you don't need to keep them in the fridge, and the sachets are very handy. also my two oldest goldies (Hawking and Osama) come up and feed straight out of the sachets, bonus!

I feed Hikari food and have had a lot of success with it, but I think most quality pellets are about equal. Another key to growth is of course, habitat. Provide your fish with plenty of room and keep up with large, frequent water changes.

Some are just slow growers, or will suddenly have a spurt. Have patience :)

I definetly noticed a difference when I got a new tank (36 gals) for billy and changed his food to Hikari oranda gold- he grew lots. Previously he was in a 5 gal and on nutrafin flakes. Rolo, my black tele is about 18 months younger than billy, and she is almost as big as him as she has been in a properly sized tank all her life, and had been eating nutritious food all of her life. just goes to show tank size and food play a big part!

I would feed them on progold but I have not yet found a place that ships to the uk. :(

Basic methods to getting fish to grow faster would be higher temps, more frequent feeding and more water changes. Probably a look into aquaculture techniques would help. They want their fish to grow up faster so they can slaughter them for food faster. I might add that faster growth is assoicated with a shorter lifespan. So I wouldn't be encouraging a focus on rapid growth for a fish you don't intend to eat.

I might add that faster growth is assoicated with a shorter lifespan. So I wouldn't be encouraging a focus on rapid growth for a fish you don't intend to eat.

Are you sure about that? That doesn't sound right...

:)

It is a theory that's out there, yes :)

I think the link is more so with temperature than it is with nutrition.

Plenty of room and/or very clean water help. I don't remember what size tank yours was, but if you throw in an additional water change each week, it will also increase their growth rate.

Feeding 1% of their body weight in pellets every day - which again will probably require you to do the additional water change, because that is a lot of food and whatever goes in comes out, if you know what I mean. But for that you will have to weigh the fish once, and then weigh out the food daily.

Plenty of room and/or very clean water help. I don't remember what size tank yours was, but if you throw in an additional water change each week, it will also increase their growth rate.

Feeding 1% of their body weight in pellets every day - which again will probably require you to do the additional water change, because that is a lot of food and whatever goes in comes out, if you know what I mean. But for that you will have to weigh the fish once, and then weigh out the food daily.

I have a 25g tank :) so I'm 5g short of the rule, but no overstocked :) I realize that eventually in about 3-5 yrs I may have to upgrade.

I wish I had some sort of weight! Ugh! I spend so much of my allowance on these guys that it just isn't my priority right now :(. But eventually! :)

Edited by pandamanda111

Does your mom have a kitchen scale that possible also has the weight in grams on it? It doesn't even have to be digital, as long as it is somewhat accurate :)

Get a clean bowl and fill it with some tank water, set it on the scale and write down the weight. Have the scale right near your tank.

Do not touch the scale or bowl. Catch the fish out of the tank and put them both in the bowl on the scale. Write the new weight down, subtract the weight of the bowl with only the water - voila! The weight of the fish. :)