Sign in to follow this  
Dory

Pothos plant to help with Nitrates

I have heard that some people put just the roots(since it is not aquatic) of a pothos plant in their tank to help eat up the nitrates. I was wondering how you would keep it there without leaving the lid open? Has anyone here done this before, or could someone show me some pics of how this works? It sounds like a great idea and I would love to see how it works.

I don't have a lid, and I just hang little pots or mesh baskets on the edge of the tank. If you have a HOB filter, you can put the plant in the filter.

Check out this article. I would also like to try this, as I am having a hard time controlling nitrates. You can also try a search on your favorite search engine and you will find many more posts by this guy. This seems like a great idea and I can't think of any downside??? Does anyone else see any issues with this?? I wouldn't expect any adverse side affects to the fish??

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?208931-HOB-Nitrate-Filter

Dear Dory,

I have added pothos to my 125 gallon tank. After washing off all the dirt I tried clumps of plant with thread to the brace and one corner so just the roots are submersed. All plants are near the intakes for my filters. The pothos have thrived and my nitrates have dropped by half!

Chris

I would not recommend a goldfish tank without a lid.

Thanks I will try this! putting them in/near the filter seems the best so you can still have the lid.

The trick is to cut a few pieces of Pothos about 30cm long (minimum length, 50cm is better) that have leaves. Then add them in a vase or bottle for 3 weeks so they start to grow roots (no need for soil). Put them in a place where there is a lot of sunlight and you will have big roots after 3 weeks or less. I placed a stick to hold the plant up. Note i have a lid on top too.

Also note the video is old and only have 2 goldfish in there now. I measure the parameters often and Nitrate and Nitrite are at zero levels now. Don't forget that fish do like fresh water so do a partial change when needed.

The rest of my goldfish are in the 192L aquarium now.

Enjoy